Mak 2 Star Reverse Sear Question

clb303

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
CB
Hello all, brand new Mak 2 star virgin here and I've got a question on grilling/searing. While I got it primarily for smoking (have a gas MHP that I really like for grilling), I figured I would at least try some grilling on it since I've heard such good things.

Does anybody using the warming drawer for reverse searing?? I see that a lot of people are doing reverse sears with food in the main chamber, moving to warming drawer, cranking heat up, then moving back to main chamber with FZ removed to sear. Question is, what's wrong with just turning the grill straight to grill with FZ removed, putting steak in the warming drawer until to you get desired IT and then moving to main chamber for sear? Seems like it would be a lot less complicated/time consuming and achieve the same result?

Anyway, looking for any feedback here, thanks!

I have not done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Try it and report back, with pics!

Hmm, interesting idea. I don’t reverse sear any more but that may be fun to try.

The smoke setting is 175*, while the warming drawer is governed primarily by the outside temperature. I cold-smoked salmon in there two weeks ago and after 3 hours, the salmon was still pretty chilled, and I didn't even add ice. In the summer, that's going to be another story. I'd just use the smoke setting in the main chamber.

Their website states "The Warmer/Smoker Box maintains a temperature roughly 100°F cooler than the main chamber" I think I've thrown a temp probe in mine once or twice, and this seemed accurate. I think on Grill it's running around 550 (depending on how much the door is open) so that puts your warmer in the 450 range.. I know if I set a metal tray on that warmer lid, while grilling-I need gloves to pick it up after.

My understanding of Reverse Sear, is that part of the 'pull it and let it rest, while the flame cranks up' stage, is so that the temps start to go down a bit. My only concern with Warmer Box right to grates, would be that you would be at the final temp very quickly. I suppose you could offset that by moving to the sear at a lower temp?

Best part about this hobby-it's science that you get to eat! Go and make experiments!

Back