THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had this exact same issue with my Okie Joe Longhorn. I added the Horizon convection plate and still had a 60 degree difference from left to right. Ive tried stuffing the gaps on the left side between the plate and the firebox-- No dice. I'm going to try sliding the plate an inch or two to the right as you've suggested. Seems illogical, but if it works, GREAT! Can't wait to give this a try! Thanks for sharing guys!

I had this exact same issue with my Okie Joe Longhorn. I added the Horizon convection plate and still had a 60 degree difference from left to right. Ive tried stuffing the gaps on the left side between the plate and the firebox-- No dice. I'm going to try sliding the plate an inch or two to the right as you've suggested. Seems illogical, but if it works, GREAT! Can't wait to give this a try! Thanks for sharing guys!

Be sure and report back how it works. :thumb:

I have a Horizon 20" offset, with the convection plate. Like others have stated, side-to-side balance is found by pulling it back from the edge of the chamber by about 2.50"-3.00."

A few weeks ago though, I was scheduled to roast a turkey, and also wanted to do some beef ribs I had found. By sliding the plate, the side with the turkey ran around 330°F and the side with the ribs (exhaust side) was around 240°F, which was about perfect for what was desired for each meat. This was the first time I ever really had a need for fairly disparate temperatures during the same cook. I was pretty pumped that it worked so well.

Back