Mahogany colored ribs on drum?

Smoke on

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Smokey
So go ahead and call me lazy for not asking, or trying before this. But I want to develope a nicer mahogany finish color on my ribs. Ive been using the same formula for years. Once in a while they get over done and truly burnt, but not very often.....The flavors are there,(literally everyone except a few have claimed them to be delicious),.....the texture and doneness is, most of the time, right where I feel it should be.....but the overall color is dark, they sometimes appear burnt, or too well done. Im thinking that the temps are too high or the rub ingredients or sauce is burning....I generally use the 3-2-1 method modified a bit. I only leave them back in the smoke for 15 to 20mins. Instead of a full hour. Maybe I should try bringing the temps down for the last hour or 1.5 hours, or maybe I should try bringing them down from 250° to 230° throughout the whole cook.......dont really want to change the rub or sauces i use cause in my mind they come out very tasty....any suggestions?

I know you don't want to change your rub but do you think there might be too much sugar in same?

So go ahead and call me lazy for not asking, or trying before this. But I want to develope a nicer mahogany finish color on my ribs. Ive been using the same formula for years. Once in a while they get over done and truly burnt, but not very often.....The flavors are there,(literally everyone except a few have claimed them to be delicious),.....the texture and doneness is, most of the time, right where I feel it should be.....but the overall color is dark, they sometimes appear burnt, or too well done. Im thinking that the temps are too high or the rub ingredients or sauce is burning....I generally use the 3-2-1 method modified a bit. I only leave them back in the smoke for 15 to 20mins. Instead of a full hour. Maybe I should try bringing the temps down for the last hour or 1.5 hours, or maybe I should try bringing them down from 250° to 230° throughout the whole cook.......dont really want to change the rub or sauces i use cause in my mind they come out very tasty....any suggestions?

I cook on a drum, and wouldn't trade my darkly barked ribs for all the mahogany coloring in the world. I used to judge KCBS ribs and got sick of the bark-less ribs the "professionals" cooked for us. Although they were pretty (the ribs, not the cooks).

Yes there might be too much sugar used but the most of it is put on at the very last 45mins. of the cook.....wrapped in foil for thirty and then back in the smoke for 15-20.

The thermometer on the drum reads straight up at 250° for the most part all though the cook. But I know that the middle of the drum is going to be hotter than that. I think ill try to get the drum to set in at 230° next time and see if they turn out more to my liking.

How long is the stem on your thermometer? Or are you measuring the actual cooking temp closer to the center of the drum? There can be as much as a 50° difference from the edge of a drum to the center. But anyways, you need to lower the pit temp, and don't be afraid to mist and turn ribs on a drum. Also spin the grate when you mist them.

CRpFMee.jpg

pqQfL2t.jpg

Thanks Thirdeye, the stem is pretty short, and it's been a long time since I've measured temps at the center of the grate. The ribs you featured are closer to what I want. Next time I do some ill measure the temps at the center of the grate and go from there.....ill try to get the temps down to 225°-230° on the drum thermometer. Ill try that first before I go tinkering with the rub or sugars in the sauces.

Thanx

Thanks Thirdeye, the stem is pretty short, and it's been a long time since I've measured temps at the center of the grate. The ribs you featured are closer to what I want. Next time I do some ill measure the temps at the center of the grate and go from there.....ill try to get the temps down to 225°-230° on the drum thermometer. Ill try that first before I go tinkering with the rub or sugars in the sauces.

Thanx

Many cookers have thermometers mounted for convenience instead of accuracy. You can also play with hanging meats in your drum. Coming into the picture from 9:00 is a long-stem thermometer. I mounted it just below the grate level.

34yBOUf.jpg

My experience is cherry wood imparts a fine mahogany color.

And my ribs above most likely had cherry in the mix.

Can't put a long stem therm in it cause then I won't be able to get the coal basket in and out without removing. But I can, (if I can find it) use my smoke chamber probe from my remote thermometer in the center of the grate, right at grate level....ill try to keep it under 250° next time I do ribs.
Thanx for your suggestions!

I agree with using cherry or plum. I don't cook ribs very often, but both of those give butts, shoulders, ham, and stuff like pork steaks or country ribs that color and I mainly use a Kettle.

Bob

You can go to 270 and cut a couple hours off your cook. I skip foiling, spritz every 30, sauce for tackiness in the last 30(or don't sauce). I used to 3-2-1, I like the two hours I get back, and I like the end product better(the bite feels firmer, but you can still clean the bone).

Back