LVQuefest allentown pa non payment

Oh, I also wrote a post somewhere early in the year that all first year (maybe it was all contests) contests should post a $1,000.00 deposit with KCBS in case they default. If they can’t afford it, Oh well – at least no one gets screwed, in year one.

The one thing I can say I learned from this is to at least is to Google the organizer name of any first year event. If I had I would of seen that this guy was previously a fraud. I wouldn't haven't vended either and lost even more than just prize money like I did. Kcbs should at least have a policy of making an organizer put the prize money in escrow of listed prize pool im escrow say a week out before an event.

The problem is that most organizers probably say that they need the weekend gate to pay the prize money. And in most cases it all works out fine. This is what happens when nobody shows up. Now I guess we will find out if the man has any integrity.

The problem is that most organizers probably say that they need the weekend gate to pay the prize money. And in most cases it all works out fine. This is what happens when nobody shows up. Now I guess we will find out if the man has any integrity.
I disagree ted, you stated above he collected over $9k entries. Most events ive done this year didn't even have a gate. He advertised$10k. It should also be a rule then that you state your source. Whether it be entries or sponsorship. Bob from Stamford puts out that he guarantees 6500, phil always puts 100% entry fee less team $12 goes to prize pool.

I've been trying to be relatively nice because he owes me more than three grand and the more I open my fat trap it probably hurts my chances of seeing a penny. But at this point it's becoming evident that the money will probably never come. Pretty much explains my luck these days.

I've been trying to be relatively nice because he owes me more than three grand and the more I open my fat trap it probably hurts my chances of seeing a penny. But at this point it's becoming evident that the money will probably never come. Pretty much explains my luck these days.
you were lucky enough to get the "coveted" granite q trophy ;)

didnt some even get the wrong trophy, or perhaps they didnt even get them...

I feel everyone is treading lightly here because of some fairy tale they think they will eventually get the money. I wish that was the case.

I hope i am wrong, but after using google, lets just say lesson learned.

Sled you are right on, should have googled....

I would take them to small claims court. If you can get everyone together that is owed money, it might only cost each team $20 or so (Just thinking out loud). Probably would be less than $500 at the very most to take him to court.

you were lucky enough to get the "coveted" granite q trophy ;)
Ha ha, I have the granite keystone shaped trophy to remember this event by - it's blank - no plaque to mention the event or the award. Probably my most unique trophy so far.

IMHO, this is bullchit... Prize money is #1 priority and thats what entry fees are for. if i have extra $$ from sponsors, i will ADD that to prizepool. Gate money pays for dumpsters, bands, porta potties, electric, rentals, etc... but the teams money belongs to them. You screw the #1 reason u have a contest, your just making sure its your last year. I know, and im prepared that if my gate comes up short, i may loose my shirt and have to pay out of pocket.. but the teams get the prize pool. Its the cost of doing business.

I would take them to small claims court. If you can get everyone together that is owed money, it might only cost each team $20 or so (Just thinking out loud). Probably would be less than $500 at the very most to take him to court.

small claims in PA is up to $8k. If he owes more, going in with a large group would put u over and force u to a different court. Have to keep individual or group claims under 8k.

at one time, i had thought about entering some bbq comps, but this forum cured me of that thought.

IMHO, this is bullchit... Prize money is #1 priority and thats what entry fees are for. if i have extra $$ from sponsors, i will ADD that to prizepool. Gate money pays for dumpsters, bands, porta potties, electric, rentals, etc... but the teams money belongs to them. You screw the #1 reason u have a contest, your just making sure its your last year. I know, and im prepared that if my gate comes up short, i may loose my shirt and have to pay out of pocket.. but the teams get the prize pool. Its the cost of doing business.

small claims in PA is up to $8k. If he owes more, going in with a large group would put u over and force u to a different court. Have to keep individual or group claims under 8k.

Well then if i were the OP i would take him to small claims court myself. He said he is owed $3000 so he will still end up with at least $2500.

at one time, i had thought about entering some bbq comps, but this forum cured me of that thought.

DS. this scenario falls under the 'one bad apple' criteria. Ive been competing for 10 years and have never come across a contest that didn't pay out.. I think its far and few between, but sure sucks when it happens.

DS. this scenario falls under the 'one bad apple' criteria. Ive been competing for 10 years and have never come across a contest that didn't pay out.. I think its far and few between, but sure sucks when it happens.

you certainly know more about this than i do.

i hate to see people not live up to promises, especially when without the Q teams, there would be no comps.

Back