LSG Santa Maria - Stainless or Carbon Steel Grates

jbounds286

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Josh
Put in my order for a 48" Santa Maria, but stuck on which grates to get. The stainless steel grates are currently a $903 upgrade...worth it?
or

Any one have experience keeping grates rust free? If its ez enough..might pass on these...have only ever had weber ss grates..if they do rust how easy to clean it off?

my smokers have all had expanded metal grates and they rust instantly!

I did order the Sunbrella cover for it as well.

thanks!

Last edited:
I have SS grate on my KK and well worth it however I wouldnt pay $900 to upgrade. I can get material and make SS grates if needed for heck of a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the carbon steel bar grates. After each use, I clean them with a wire brush, spray them with canola, and store them in plastic container. No rust issues.

When there’s a choice on cooking grates?

Always stainless, but, maybe it’s just me.

I have the carbon steel bar grates. After each use, I clean them with a wire brush, spray them with canola, and store them in plastic container. No rust issues.

this is info i was looking for! the cost of the upgrade just wasnt sitting right. I'm totally fine doing a little maintenance after every cook if needed. just nice to see others having success!

this is info i was looking for! the cost of the upgrade just wasnt sitting right. I'm totally fine doing a little maintenance after every cook if needed. just nice to see others having success!

Taking a few min to clean after cooks and spray oil are your best friends for keeping grates good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have steel V-channel grates and steel "laser cut" grates that I mix and match. I had removed them from grill last week for a spit roasting and they have been sitting on the porch for maybe 5 days. I just put them back in grill, and this is what they look like. No rust. I usually cover the grates with these blue grilling mats when not in use. After cooking, I lower grates and burn off residue, then wet the spongey Grill Rescue Brush and wipe (this steam cleans the grates), lower grates and let them get hot again, raise grates and apply very thin layer of grapeseed oil. I use the wire brush periodically also.

IMG-8567.jpg

IMG-8569.jpg

IMG-8568.jpg

Price seems excessive, but I'd price materials if I was thinking about making my own before saying no. I'd expect it to be austenitic stainless like 304 or 316 for that kind of money.

I'd do the expanded from LSG and then get one or two 24" Stainless V channel grates made (or make yourself).

I use the regular steel grate in mine. Scrape then hit with a brush and spray on some Pam. No rust yet. I also purchased the Sumbrella cover. Be sure and ask them to order it when you pay for the grill. They didn't order mine till it shipped, so my new grill had to sit in the weather for 11 weeks.

Be sure and ask them to order it when you pay for the grill. They didn't order mine till it shipped, so my new grill had to sit in the weather for 11 weeks.

THANK YOU for this, I have no covering whatsoever in the backyard for the grill. just sent them an email to see if this is an option!

I did go ahead and change my order, took off the $903 SS grates option, upgraded to the 60" since now you can use the rotisserie kit with the 60", and then added the V grates all the way across. Still saving $650 and now I actually feel like I am getting something for that money! Thank you all for the input!

I have carbon steel angle iron grates on my SM for the past 10 years or so.
Sitting outside, uncovered. No rust at all. Once you season them correctly, they don't rust out here in AZ.
Your results may vary in the rainy, humid States.

The expanded metal grates on my offset are the only rust on it. The heat from the FB opening burns any oil/seasoning right off and then that area of the grate closest to the FB rusts.

I don't always get back out to the cooker after it cools to spray pam on them.

Maybe in my dreams if I was considering doing it just before I fell asleep. :yawn:

That's pricey, but even a well seasoned blackstone gets rusty in a week outside even under a covered deck in my area. I would go SS and just think of how much time and $$$ i would save in the long run to cope with being jacked on price.

I may be in the minority here, but I found the v-channel grates overrated on Santa Maria grill (forgive me Argentina!). I ended up using expanded metal ones much more. Better sear, better crust on meat.

I may be in the minority here, but I found the v-channel grates overrated on Santa Maria grill (forgive me Argentina!). I ended up using expanded metal ones much more. Better sear, better crust on meat.

Since I've been using the GrillGrates on my Weber I went ahead with the argentine inserts, my thought is they would probably work in s similar fashion, but we shall see!

Back