THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey all - gonna do a low country boil today. Did one before but didn't get timing right and was mushier than I had hoped...but still good.

Am going to do:
Corn quartered
Small red potatoes
Andoulle sausage
Large shrimp
Crabs

I have Zatarain's spices to soak this stuff in.

Q: Do I have all the right ingredients or is there something else to add or substitute?

Q: Do you have general times for how long each item should cook?

Other items included in my neck of the woods are whole mushrooms, pineapple slices or chunks, and Brussel sprouts. We also make a broth of bell pepper, onion, and celery that we use as the boil base. Strain it and add your zattarains. Use lots of lemons and garlic heads in there as well. I don't know how they do it in the low country, but this is the way we have done it on mobile bay my whole life.

Other items included in my neck of the woods are whole mushrooms, pineapple slices or chunks, and Brussel sprouts. We also make a broth of bell pepper, onion, and celery that we use as the boil base. Strain it and add your zattarains. Use lots of lemons and garlic heads in there as well. I don't know how they do it in the low country, but this is the way we have done it on mobile bay my whole life.

That might be good, but it’s not a low country boil.

Order of a proper low country boil is:

Onions & taters first into the boiling water, then Corn on cob and sausage with far more seasoning than seems reasonable.
Shrimp (and other shellfish) goes in last, after potatoes are done

Last edited:
That might be good, but it’s not a low country boil.

Order of a proper low country boil is:

Onions first into the boiling water, then Corn on cob and sausage with far more seasoning than seems reasonable.
Shrimp (and other shellfish) goes in last, after potatoes are done

What 'e said. For shellfish, I generally do shrimp, mussels, and clams. Sometimes I will toss in a firm-fleshed fish or two as well.

This is my method.

Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.

2. Add potatoes and cook for 7minutes. Add corn and cook for another 7 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 3 minutes more.(If precooked. If raw add at the same time with corn,) Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

This is my method.

Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.

2. Add potatoes and cook for 7minutes. Add corn and cook for another 7 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 3 minutes more.(If precooked. If raw add at the same time with corn,) Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

We cook a lot of lowcountry boils and my timing is almost exactly the same as this except we do potatoes for 8 minutes. Anything more than that and I’ve found the potatoes are mushy.

Back