Lowcountry shrimp crab boil?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
Yesterday, I done a low country boil for my niece's birthday. I borrowed a propane cooker that ended up being absolutely terrible. Half of the burners were clogged up and it turned the pot into solid black soot. I was able to get the water boiling but it just looked ugly and I was paranoid about the damn propane tank blowing up. Right now I'm in the market to get my own decent quality one possibly an 82 quart. That being said, I was warned by my family not to make it too spicy. Any of yall have some good recipes that are Cajun creole style but isn't super super spicy? I made a DIY boil boss which worked out great. It got the temperature from 212 degrees boiling to 150 degrees to stop the cooking process in less than 3 minutes.

This pot was 32 quart and it was slap full! I had 4 lbs gulf shelled shrimp, 3 lbs cooked crab leg, 2 packs of ragin Cajun andoulie, 5 lbs red potatoes, 2 lobster tails, 1 artichoke, 16 small corn, Louisiana crab and shrimp boil, zatarain concentrate liquid crab boil(2) , zatarain crab bag, pure celery and onion, 4 garlic bulbs , 7 lemon, 2 mandarin oranges...

After bringing temp to 150 degrees, let rest in liquid for 12 minutes. Family said corn was very spicy. Shrimp, lobster, crab and sausage was perfect. Whats a good recipe thats good not too spicy still very flavorful? Good cooker suggestions?

ps0YSwG.jpg

AQvV04A.jpg

SViUcQ0.jpg

L13AGWk.jpg

utTFEtJ.jpg

E6IGUnT.jpg

Last edited:
The food looks good and I cant help you with your Questions
So you cooked the food then use the hose sprinkler thing to Cool it down fast?
Like a ice water dump?

Car looks like its got a broken wing, ouch

Learn something new every day. I’ve cooked lowcountry boils for 20 years and I’ve never heard of a boil boss. Interesting!

That boil looks awesome! Hard to get really good seafood up here without paying for it!! Thanks for sharing!!

Next time take it easy on the liquid crab boil. A little goes a long way!
Your family may appreciate it.

From the recipes I've looked at it seems a Low Country Boil doesn't use many
seasonings beyond some Old Bay.
The ingredients you used sounds and looks more like a Gulf Coast (or Louisiana) Seafood Boil.

Hard to tell by the pic, but it could be that the burner was was acting that way due to the adjustment plate being closed. It a sliding plate where the hose attaches to the burner itself. It should be opened all the way so it can pull in air and burn cleanly. From the pic it almost looks like there is some kind of covering etc over the intake. I think newer turkey fryers come with a safety mechanism/timer which shuts off the burner if left unattended or something like that. But usually, an orange flame like that indicates lack of oxygen getting pulled in and making for soot as well.

Bob

Damn, did it explode and damage your car?

I would have been freaking out using that thing on a wooden deck!

I have had great results using a Portable Induction stove top with a Stainless Steel induction ready stock pot. It can only do about 5 gallons, but its perfect for a party of 6.

The car is my parents that they never drive. He got damaged because my nephew got slick one night install it and hit the side of a bobcat. It didn't do **** that bobcat but fuvked up that car lol.

I tried everything with that burner and I think because it's sat out so long that it corroded some of the burners. The timer was set and it has this push button ignition to keep it lit. I just want to get a better cooker for future shrimp boils. The food came out great I just wanted to see if you can cook this without it being super spicy. Next time I will hold off on the crystals liquid hot sauce and only used one container of the liquid boil from zatarain's.

The boil boss is awesome. This DIY project it's probably nowhere near as good as a boil boss I would recommend spinning $40 on the boil boss versus doing it yourself from random parts from home Depot. It literally brought the cook from boiling to 150 degrees in less than 3 minutes

The car is my parents that they never drive. He got damaged because my nephew got slick one night install it and hit the side of a bobcat. It didn't do **** that bobcat but fuvked up that car lol.

I tried everything with that burner and I think because it's sat out so long that it corroded some of the burners. The timer was set and it has this push button ignition to keep it lit. I just want to get a better cooker for future shrimp boils. The food came out great I just wanted to see if you can cook this without it being super spicy. Next time I will hold off on the crystals liquid hot sauce and only used one container of the liquid boil from zatarain's.

The boil boss is awesome. This DIY project it's probably nowhere near as good as a boil boss I would recommend spinning $40 on the boil boss versus doing it yourself from random parts from home Depot. It literally brought the cook from boiling to 150 degrees in less than 3 minutes

I just dump a bunch of ice in. If you plan ahead, you can fill up some leftover chinese take out soup containers with water and freeze overnight so you have free ice that will drop temps even faster then any $40 water sprinkler.

The food came out great I just wanted to see if you can cook this without it being super spicy. Next time I will hold off on the crystals liquid hot sauce and only used one container of the liquid boil from zatarain's.

Its the Zat's liquid boil that is spicy.

I just dump a bunch of ice in. If you plan ahead, you can fill up some leftover chinese take out soup containers with water and freeze overnight so you have free ice that will drop temps even faster then any $40 water sprinkler.

Ice dilutes the juice the sprinkler system is much more effective

Ice dilutes the juice the sprinkler system is much more effective

At that point, all the ingredients already absorbed a great deal of the brine. And you have added way more then needed to begin with. Trust me, a little bit of ice isn't going to dilute the flavor. But i get it, you like your sprinkler system so i will just leave my .02 out of your threads.

I can't really tell what type of burner you have there. Is that a banjo style burner? If so, jet (preferably dual jet) will make all the difference in the ease of use.

At that point, all the ingredients already absorbed a great deal of the brine. And you have added way more then needed to begin with. Trust me, a little bit of ice isn't going to dilute the flavor. But i get it, you like your sprinkler system so i will just leave my .02 out of your threads.

Id like to use this sprinkler system to coat you in an ice cold salt bath

as far as "spice heat" for a general mixed crowd---I do not add anything with spice heat, and let the fluids from the Andouille Sausage create the only heat. I use mainly "Old Bay"
However--if the group being fed is 25 year old males drinking beer--I would add heat

I can't really tell what type of burner you have there. Is that a banjo style burner? If so, jet (preferably dual jet) will make all the difference in the ease of use.

Food looks awesome!

I’ve use “Old Bay” and “Zatarans’s” both liquid and powder. You have to be very judicious with the Zat’s liquid.... It’s really potent and spicy.

As for cooker recommendations, I would think any new turkey fryer setup with an up-to-date regulator would be a vast improvement over that thing...

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back