Looking to add a new cooker - $4,000 budget

As much as I want to say Pitmaker Vault, if you plan on moving it around alot for competition and catering, then the only way I would even could consider a vault is if it were on a trailer. It is not an easy rig to move.

Depending on what you have available to move it from point A to point B and back, you may have to budget some of that for a trailer of some sort if you get one of the mega heavy duty cookers like the Pitmaker/LSG stuff.

Dont underestimate the value of a mobile cooker if you are truly planning on comps and catering.

Just my $0.02

P.S. the Vault has crazy capacity. Here is 70 lbs of pork butt and 70 lbs of brisket with room to spare.

Attachments

• 20151212_235404.jpg
    20151212_235404.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 324
It all boils down to what you need vs what you want, somewhere in the middle is your compromise of what you choose.

1) First let us consider size.... Basically a two-fold question because it involves overall size as well as the inside capacity.

Are you looking for a large tow behind smoker or a patio model? With smokers as well as many other choices, size is important, but bigger isn't always better. Larger smokers have more fuel consumption and may require more time tending them. One should never consider a larger smoker just for show. Practicality should always be the first and foremost thought in this equation.

For backyard use, one typically looks for a smaller patio model. Some competitors also use smaller models in smaller competitions for the ease of portability and mobility. Other competitors have much larger cookers because they also sell to the public as a vendor which is allowed at some national competitions as a means of recovering some expenses as well as selecting the "People Choice" award. At National Competitions like the "Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off" in Reno, Nevada it is common for some of the competitors to cook over 1500 pounds of ribs per day. If you are looking to compete start with something small and you can always move to larger units as you progress.

Wood Burners, Pellet Smokers, Charcoal Smokers, and Propane units all come in patio/portable sized models. But will the patio sized model hold the capacity you are looking to cook. This brings up the issue of Horizontal vs Vertical models. Some horizontal models can be fitted with a second smaller shelf to allow a little more cooking space, where as the vertical model come in varying heights to allow more shelves for more cooking area.

2) Second item to consider in choosing a smoker is the type of fuel you wish to use; Wood, Charcoal, Pellets, Propane Assist, All Electric, or All Gas. The obviously simple set and forget smokers would be Electric, Gas, or Pellet smokers. With electric and propane smokers you only have to be concerned with an ample amount of wood chips / chunks for smoke flavoring. With the pellet smokers, some owners say there isn't enough smoke flavor, but I have had food from a pellet smoker with great flavor. Also on long cooks when using the pellet, one has to refill the pellet hopper to keep the unit going. Also if you plan on competing at higher levels like the KCBS, Propane and electric smokers are not permitted.

If you are considering a wood burner consider your available fuel supply. Are you going to have to buy a lot of wood and are you willing to stay up all night tending a fire? This is not meant to discourage you from a wood burner, but to simply find your level of commitment to your smoker. Many people who use them enjoy the solitude of having a beer and a cigar as they relax in the quiet hours tending the smoker while the others sleep.

If you are considering a charcoal smoker I would suggest an insulated charcoal smoker. An uninsulated smoker burns fuel at a rapid pace because the heat is quickly lost and not held inside the smoker, whereas the insulated smoker burns at a much slower rate only to maintain the temperature within the smoker. I have seen some insulated smokers burn for 16 hours with a single five pound load of charcoal.

Once you have chosen the type of fuel you wish to use, we move on to the next criteria of choice.

If you plan on catering, check with your local health department. Some (not all) municipalities require a NFS rated smoker which limits the playing field to a handful of available units. It's best to find this out before you buy rather than after.

With catering in mind, visit your local Health Department can offer you a wealth of information which can help you before you have to select your purchase. Different States, Counties, and Municipalities may all have different requirements and regulations.

It all boils down to what you need vs what you want, somewhere in the middle is your compromise of what you choose.

1) First let us consider size.... Basically a two-fold question because it involves overall size as well as the inside capacity.

Are you looking for a large tow behind smoker or a patio model? With smokers as well as many other choices, size is important, but bigger isn't always better. Larger smokers have more fuel consumption and may require more time tending them. One should never consider a larger smoker just for show. Practicality should always be the first and foremost thought in this equation.

For backyard use, one typically looks for a smaller patio model. Some competitors also use smaller models in smaller competitions for the ease of portability and mobility. Other competitors have much larger cookers because they also sell to the public as a vendor which is allowed at some national competitions as a means of recovering some expenses as well as selecting the "People Choice" award. At National Competitions like the "Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off" in Reno, Nevada it is common for some of the competitors to cook over 1500 pounds of ribs per day. If you are looking to compete start with something small and you can always move to larger units as you progress.

Wood Burners, Pellet Smokers, Charcoal Smokers, and Propane units all come in patio/portable sized models. But will the patio sized model hold the capacity you are looking to cook. This brings up the issue of Horizontal vs Vertical models. Some horizontal models can be fitted with a second smaller shelf to allow a little more cooking space, where as the vertical model come in varying heights to allow more shelves for more cooking area.

2) Second item to consider in choosing a smoker is the type of fuel you wish to use; Wood, Charcoal, Pellets, Propane Assist, All Electric, or All Gas. The obviously simple set and forget smokers would be Electric, Gas, or Pellet smokers. With electric and propane smokers you only have to be concerned with an ample amount of wood chips / chunks for smoke flavoring. With the pellet smokers, some owners say there isn't enough smoke flavor, but I have had food from a pellet smoker with great flavor. Also on long cooks when using the pellet, one has to refill the pellet hopper to keep the unit going. Also if you plan on competing at higher levels like the KCBS, Propane and electric smokers are not permitted.

If you are considering a wood burner consider your available fuel supply. Are you going to have to buy a lot of wood and are you willing to stay up all night tending a fire? This is not meant to discourage you from a wood burner, but to simply find your level of commitment to your smoker. Many people who use them enjoy the solitude of having a beer and a cigar as they relax in the quiet hours tending the smoker while the others sleep.

If you are considering a charcoal smoker I would suggest an insulated charcoal smoker. An uninsulated smoker burns fuel at a rapid pace because the heat is quickly lost and not held inside the smoker, whereas the insulated smoker burns at a much slower rate only to maintain the temperature within the smoker. I have seen some insulated smokers burn for 16 hours with a single five pound load of charcoal.

Once you have chosen the type of fuel you wish to use, we move on to the next criteria of choice.

If you plan on catering, check with your local health department. Some (not all) municipalities require a NFS rated smoker which limits the playing field to a handful of available units. It's best to find this out before you buy rather than after.

With catering in mind, visit your local Health Department can offer you a wealth of information which can help you before you have to select your purchase. Different States, Counties, and Municipalities may all have different requirements and regulations.

Very helpful and thoughtful response. I guess to summarize you are saying: "build a UDS?"

thanks everyone for your responses.. Very helpful stuff ... I am in the process of trying to decide which unit makes the most sense right now. Far more options than I had imagined lol. I want to have a stick burner at some point as well but I think the cabinet / vertical smokers might make more sense for the current purchase. With a stick burner I feel like I can add a charcoal grill and fryer setup to it and it's very mobile but have to lose considerable sleep to tend the fire (which I love doing but when it's for the catering business may become "not so fun" after while lol) - with the cabinet unit I can set it and forget it but lose some mobility and additions that I value.. So that's the dilemma lol I will own both at some point but need to decide what I need first.

If you are truly going to be serious about catering good luck with a stickburner regardless of brand. Yes it can be done however a cabinet makes a lot more sense.

Call Paul or Tyler at Shirley Fabrication and talk to them about what you want to do and see what they can do. Also give Chris a call at Lone Star Grillz and do the same thing. Let the builders help you decide and work with you on putting together what you want. I am going through the same process right now and have been researching for over a year and still haven't decided. Base on my research these two offer the most bang for the buck and their quality or top notch. Just my opinion though and others may differ as you can see from all the other great suggestions.

thanks everyone for your responses.. Very helpful stuff ... I am in the process of trying to decide which unit makes the most sense right now. Far more options than I had imagined lol. I want to have a stick burner at some point as well but I think the cabinet / vertical smokers might make more sense for the current purchase. With a stick burner I feel like I can add a charcoal grill and fryer setup to it and it's very mobile but have to lose considerable sleep to tend the fire (which I love doing but when it's for the catering business may become "not so fun" after while lol) - with the cabinet unit I can set it and forget it but lose some mobility and additions that I value.. So that's the dilemma lol I will own both at some point but need to decide what I need first.

I agree with the insulated cabinet type for catering. So much easier to run. I think your priority is probably consistency while getting some sleep. If you still have your day job you probably don't have time to run a stick burner. With the cabinet or GF your wife could keep an eye on it while you are at work. Good luck on deciding between the cabinet and GF. Then comes picking a builder. :crazy: just stick to the well known guys with good reputations.

Edit: most builders can mount their verticals on a trailer which gives you the chance to add sinks, burners, storage, prep areas, etc.

Thanks guys! As always.. Super helpful.. I have decided it'll be a vertical unit for the obvious benefits.. I will add a stick burner down the road... Now I need to decide who to go with.. Pretty much have it narrowed down to humphreys down east beast, Stumps XL Baby.. And the Lone Star Grillz cabinet... LSG seems to be best bang for the buck

Anyone have experience cooking on these units and can offer pros/cons or opinions? I know they're all good choices.. Just need to narrow it down.. I've never cooked on a vertical unit.. Just stick burners and BGE's

It all comes down to your budget I think. Have heard great things on all your choices from the owners of these smokers in this forum. I would suggest considering shipping cost also.

Used my LSG IV today for the the first time, and was very impressed with it, in terms of temp stability, capacity, quality etc. It was a bit step up from a wsm, drum, and rec tec.

My suggestion, talking from experience, is to make up a spread sheet with the specs, options you want and shipping costs so that you get the exact final cost. Some smokers have a lot of options that can add up quickly as opposed to others that are already loaded. You may be surprised. If you think it's big enough, go one size bigger. For example, I went up to the next size smoker, which doubled the capacity, for only $1000 more

Back