Looking for options on pork butt that is not pulled??

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Alright. So im itching to bbq. But we are on a tight budget so pork butt is the best option. Thing is the missus wants more bark and wants it not pulled.

Well I got the more bark part covered. Our local grocery store cuts pork butts into small roasts. Normally cutting them to 3-4lber chunks. So I picked two of em up so should have more surface for more bark right?

Now she says she doesn't care for the pulled texture being stringy pulled pork. So what are my options here?. Chopped, sliced??. I read places slicing and chopping at 190it???? If thats the case how is the texture of it being pulled off the cooker at 190? Is it still moist and tender? I figured it would have that window of dryness like a brisket had if u undercooked it

Chopped.

No kidding, check out John's Lexington BBQ post for some chopping info.

I'll also bet that you could find some good info from searches for Skylight Inn, Ayden, NC... or Sam Jones BBQ (the grandson of Pete, the original owner)...

Most of us add in a little ACV, any rubs we want for flavor, and perhaps some hot sauce as we mix the pork on the chopping board... it's tasted a multitude of times as it's chopped, "dressed," and mixed. All part of the fun, if you ask me.

Have fun! Enjoy!

I would guess if you cook it until 190° then vent for 5 minutes, then wrap and rest, you will slice some very juicy and tender pork. I haven't done it but I am sure it would be good. If you did pork steaks, which are just a butt cut into steaks, you can make some of the bestest cheap bbq you will eat! And with a decent sized butt, you can get 8 or 9 steaks depending on thickness

Right On with the pork steaks!
Pork Steaks
Ingredients:
4 large Pork steaks, 1 1/4" thick
3 T Kosher salt
1 ½ T Black pepper, ground fresh
2 t Granulated garlic (not "powdered")
16 oz. Beer
18 oz. barbecue sauce

Directions:
Combine the salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl and mix well.
Season both sides of each steak liberally with the seasoning, then place them in zip-top bags and refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.
Start your grill and prepare for direct cooking over high heat (450-500º).
Sear the steaks on each side.
While the steaks are searing, combine the beer and barbecue sauce in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Put the steaks in a single layer into the disposable aluminum pans and cover them with the beer mixture, putting half of the beer and barbecue sauce mixture into each pan.
Cover the pans tightly with foil.
Move your coals to one side of the grill for indirect cooking.
Put the pans on the side of the grill opposite the coals and cook, indirect, for 90 minutes.
Add charcoal as needed to keep the temperature at about 350º throughout the rest of the cooking time.
Remove the steaks from the pans and quickly sear them over direct heat (about 2 minutes per side).
Remove to a platter and let rest for about five minutes.

Smoke it to about 185* IT. Slice it as thick or thin as you like.

20150222_180644.jpg

Been making mine into steaks lately, but when I smoke them I cut the butt, we get boneless ones here, in half to cook faster and with more bark...feel free to take out a little early and slice away....

I did some pork butt burnt ends that turned out really good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm with Cholloway. Google How to cut country style ribs and you should find several youtube videos. We enjoy these all the time at home. Inexpensive, meaty, and they do not feel like pulled pork.

I put one on the rotisserie and cooked till done all the way thru and sliced thin. Delicious!!! And a good break from pulled. Make a gravy or capture drippings for a jus. Man, that’s making me hungry thinking about it!!

Our go to for a long smoked butt is when it's bone removal tender put it on a platter and give it a couple hard pushes and set it on the dinner table with a bowl of boiled potatoes and you grab a couple tasty looking chunks of pork (with bark galore) and a couple taters and we eat.
Ed

I agree with your wife, I have never been a huge fan of stringy pulled pork. I also put in a plug for John's method. I HATE cole slaw but love this sandwich. My wife loves it too. I usually take a quarter moon type pizza knife and chop it that way. I just like the texture better when you square it rather than pull it.

Back