Looking for advice for increasing temps on propane cooker

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy all! Would appreciate suggestions for how to increase temps on my propane powered cooker.

My orignal propne cooker rusted out and I replaced it with a Masterbuilt 44” MPS 250. Read feedback from folks online that said they could get temperatures into the 360 range, if desired. It’s got two burners...many commenters have stated that they only run one burner to get temps into the 250 range. It’s much greater capacity and ability to cook low and slow as well as hot and fast sold me. So, I pulled the trigger!

Maiden voyage this past weekend only got temps to a max of 260 with both burners going. Outside temps were in the 80’s - 90’s with low wind. This was with a new propane tank with valve opened to max.

Question: can I replace the low pressure regulator that came with the cooker for one that allows higher pressures (more fuel = more heat)?

I’ve pinged Masterbuilt for assistance and am awaiting their response. Thought I’d toss this out to the bretheren to get collective wisdom as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Bruce

I had a similar one, the snake hollow two burner. I weber up adding roll insulation to the outside when I wanted too go hot.

Are you using the door thermometer or a good one? The door one may be off big time.

Question: can I replace the low pressure regulator that came with the cooker for one that allows higher pressures (more fuel = more heat)?

I’ve pinged Masterbuilt for assistance and am awaiting their response. Thought I’d toss this out to the bretheren to get collective wisdom as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Bruce

Not safely, the burner also has to rater for high pressure as well. All the high pressure burners i have seen are made from cast metal and are very heavy. I believe the masterbuilt burners are made from formed sheet metal.

I would agree with Craig and suggest that maybe you look for an insulation modification or option.

FYI: Temps checked on the grate with Maverick ET 73 remote thermometer.

Bruce

That is not good, and you are going to be very frustrated once it gets cold or windy. Can you exchange it for another one or return it? If not I would contact the company as it is not working correctly. If that is not an option try the insulation route.

@ Craig: Exactly! Not only do I want to be able to cook hot and fast when needed, I was also thinking about what's likely to happen once temps dip and winds increase.

Good news: Got a chance to talk to a rep from Masterbuilt. They agreed that the max temps were not right. They're going to send a replacement regulator.

Am still tempted to get a higher pressure regulator to try out just coz. :flame:

Bruce

Did you check the bypass valve? The bypass valve can be tripped by hooking up the tank with a burner valve open. I have also had some that would trip when the tank valve is opened all the way. Generally the tank only has to be opened 1/4-1/2 turn for most small grills and smokers.
Since the symptoms sound like the bypass may be open, try resetting it. Turn off all the smoker valves, close tank valve, fully disconnect the tank. Then reconnect the tank, slowly open the tank valve about 1/2 turn and then relight the burners. If the bypass is working correctly, you will have plenty of pressure and flow to make high temps. Worst case, it works, and you will have a spare when the replacement arrives.
Good luck

I replaced my regulator and it seems not only do i get lower temps, but also higher temps. Ive gotten it well over 400F with just the new regulator, add a chimney full of red hot kbb and you got yourself a smoker/pizza oven.
I have the dual fuel MES 30"

@ KMM: Don't think it's the OPD. When that's happened to me in the past with my gas grill, it's REALLY limited gas flow. As in, couldn't even reach 200 degrees on cook deck. However, thank you for the suggestion... I'll undo and re-do the tank connections just to be complete. That's a much easier fix than replacing the regulator.

@ EyeBurnEverything: Curious, which regulator did you end up using?

I've read some reviews of folks that have replaced the stock regulator with better aftermarket regulators to help get temps lower. I've not seen comments about getting higher temps (which is one of the reasons I posed the question here).

BTW: Don't need the smoker to function like a pizza oven...that's what the Blackstone Pizza Oven is for! :becky:

BTW part II: I'm pretty excited about the capacity of this cooker. It's YUGE!!!! (well, at least compared to my old smoker). This model holds full size pans comfortably on each of the four shelves. But, right now, that capacity isn't being used until I can figure out the temperature thing.

Bruce

I guess no cooker is perfect. My 2 burner cast aluminum Sunbeam gasser hits 500 in a heartbeat. I have trouble getting it low enough.

Checked things this AM:
Closed all valves and disconnected propane from cooker. Reconnected, opened propane tank valve slowly and only part way, started burners. Closed bottom vents on cooker.

Max temperature in cooker via wired Taylor thermometer was 277 degrees. Morning air temperatures were ~80-85 degrees and humid with no wind.

Opened propane tank valve completely. Rechecked temperature. No change. Bah! Gotta be a bad regulator.

Just realized: i have my old cooker still around. Will canabilize the regulator from the old Masterforge cooker for the new Masterforge cooker while waiting for the replacement regulator to ship!

Bruce

Back