Long Distance Dedication to 16Adams and thirdeye

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Casey Kasem-style: I'd like to thank 16Adams and thirdeye for inspiring my latest contribution to the BBQBBoK (BBQ Brethren Body of Knowledge).

16Adams for the tips on Hatch Chiles and thirdeye for the tips on advanced sausagemaking.

So without further ado, I present:

The Swine Spectator's Roasted Hatch Chile and Cheddar Smoked Sausage
(full recipe below)

I made the sausage Sunday evening and let the flavors develop in the fridge overnight.
picture.php

This morning, I hung the sausage out to dry and develop a pellicle while I lit the WSM with KBB and pecan chunks.
picture.php

I initially hung the sausage on the Weber racks, but the temp was running a tad high. After an hour in I ditched the hanging racks and laid the sausages on the flat rack to avoid overcooking the tops.
picture.php

After about 2 1/2 hours, they hit 150°-155. I dunked them in ice water to arrest the cooking and hung them for about an hour to bloom:
picture.php

This was my first time adding dry milk powder (thanks thirdeye!). These sausages were very tender and juicy. This recipe is a keeper!
picture.php

Formulation:

5 lbs Pork Butt - 3/8" grind
8 oz High-temp Cheddar Cheese, diced
4 oz Roasted Hatch Chiles, diced
2 TBS Kosher Salt
2 TBS Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Cumin
1 TBS Oregano
1 tsp Cure #1
1/2 tsp Sodium Erythorbate
1/4 C Dry Milk Powder
2 C Ice Water

Thanks for looking! Comments and input welcome.

Whoa. From the first picture to the last picture..... That's the best of the wurst right there!!!!

How do you like the mouthfeel of the coarser grind?

I like the coarser grind. While I enjoy fine-ground and emulsified sausages, I make most of mine more "rustic".

They look Very good, may try that if my peppers grow, thanks for the recipe
Only sausage I have used milk powder in was our Kransky
Very common sausage here.I have made them whithout the Milk powder and added a Emulsified beef mix and really struggled to tell the differance

texture is here
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254780

Last edited:
Sausages look amazing, job well done.

If I had the time and the space, that is a hobby that I would like to explore. One day....
Meanwhile, I will salivate over those pics. Very nicely done!

Those looks great, nicely done. I just got done stuffing about 5lbs of bratwurst and Polish sausage from a butt I picked up on sale. You’re making me want to do a cured smoked sausage again :thumb:

Your sausages turned out great. I’ve been wanting to try this and would like to know your fire setup on the WSM to slowly bring the sausage temp up tp 150. Did you use the snake method or just a certain number of briquettes. Any help very much appreciated.

Back