Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Same thing I ordered. I got my email on 02/12. I estimated that I would go pick it up today, but it is running a little late. Looking like Monday now. Hopefully...

Well it finally arrived. Got my LSG vertical smoker last week. Had to use the 4X4 New Holland to get it over the 2' snow bank that is still in my yard. Did a "season in" burn last Sunday all went well. This Sunday is the real test, I got 30 lbs. of Baby Backs for this Sunday.....Wish me luck.
Oh By the way This thing is a Beauty!!!:-D

Terry,
It's looking like you'll be in the same boat I am, owner of 2 LSG pits. A Vertical Insulated, and stickburner which we'll only fire up when we have huge cooks. I did contemplate selling my old pit, but gave up on the idea.

I was looking at a Myron Mixon MMS 60, but the price was prohibitive. I like what I see here, but do you have to use chips or chucks? Can I just get charcoal going and add a couple logs (hickory, oak and pecan are easy for me to get). Then let the GURU manage the heat and burn? Thoughts?

Well it finally arrived. Got my LSG vertical smoker last week. Had to use the 4X4 New Holland to get it over the 2' snow bank that is still in my yard. Did a "season in" burn last Sunday all went well. This Sunday is the real test, I got 30 lbs. of Baby Backs for this Sunday.....Wish me luck.
Oh By the way This thing is a Beauty!!!:-D

Please make sure to prove us with pics, pics and more pics of the Sunday cook.

Congratulations!

Terry,
It's looking like you'll be in the same boat I am, owner of 2 LSG pits. A Vertical Insulated, and stickburner which we'll only fire up when we have huge cooks. I did contemplate selling my old pit, but gave up on the idea.

Hush your mouth Haniel. I will sell the stick burner, hopefully sooner rather than later. It needs to go so I have a more permanent place for the cabinet.

Stoner, I believe I have seen pics in this thread of people laying small branches on top of the charcoal, but not like you will be using splits in the cabinet.

I just got my T minus email yesterday. Much quicker than I had expected. I guess that is a good problem to have!

Good afternoon! I wanted to let you know that we have started fabrication on your smoker! From this point it usually takes 7-10 business days to complete. We will contact you once its done. Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have. Have a great day!

Much quicker than expected? How much quicker?

May or may not have already been addressed, but what ranges of temperature can you guys comfortably run your cabinets at? I'm eventually going to purchase a mini, but was just wondering about how you current owners feel on this topic. I would like to run anywhere from 225 to 350 if possible.

Read this whole thread and finally pulled the trigger on a mini in mid January. The wait is getting difficult. Hoping to have it by mid April. Anybody with experience running these smokers during winter? How did / do they hold up? It gets pretty cold up here December to March.

I ordered my big boy in mid-December and got the build email on 02/12. I was told 12-14 weeks, so I got that email at 8 weeks, it'll be ready for me to pick up probably Tuesday, but I won't go get it until Friday (11 weeks).

I know Chris can't wait for me to get it as I have been emailing him daily sounding like a child in the back seat of a car ride - "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?"

Let's talk covers. I know this has been covered several times throughout the 79 pages and almost 2 years. I think it is obvious that GrillWraps has a good cover for this. At $379 it better be good!

Has anyone ordered a cover by http://www.vinylcoveringsbymel.com/? MMTown (I will PM you separately) but you mentioned you were ordering one from there. Did you end up getting it? Thoughts/comments? The quote I received (with shipping to San Diego) is around $105 total. If that cover is decent it is a hard pill to swallow to pay $275 more.

I also reached out to coverus.com (still waiting on a quote). I looked on Amazon for different covers that would fit nicely and couldn't find anything. I definitely want something that is made for this and thus fits snug.

Any other recommendations

Would you have any pictures of it by chance? Also, do you think it needs a draw string at the bottom to keep it snug or will it stay on in windy situations?

I posted some on this thread. I don't think I have any saved on my phone. It doesn't have a draw string or zipper. It just slides on snuggly. It has never blown off.

Kaptain Kadian....sorry 1 last question - in the picture (post 989) - do you have the 2" ball value on the left side of the smoker? I can't tell if that is under the cover or not?

Picked up my large cabinet last Monday on the way to the Houston BBQ. Got it seasoned and then it got filled with 13 briskets. It ran like a dream all week. I even use it for my comp chicken cook and ended up placing 9th in chicken and 50th overall.

We used this pit 5 days in a row and it held rock solid temps all day long. I am very happy to say the least.

Back