Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I've used the deflector plate on 3 cooks now. Both low-n-slow and hot-n-fast, with good results from either way. As others have said, the consumption of water isn't as much during the cook and you don't get a blast of hot steam when opening the door. Being able to go longer without having to worry about water getting low and temps rising is worth having the deflector. I didn't see a dramatic difference in fuel consumption but that could be huge variables going into that form cook to cook.
As far as the exhaust, I haven't noticed dripping moisture when closing it half way and that is usually where I have it. However, with a hot-n-fast I did notice moisture build up there at the end of the cook. The deflector helped this out too. Certainly looks like the deflector should a standard addition. Mine also had a bent leg to it when I got it in, but it was easy enough to straighten out to 90 degrees.

I have not seen this issue on mine. Having said that, I dont like keeping my exhaust vent half closed. I prefer to leave it open, but my temps seem to climb when I do this. How open is your intake?
I use the Guru with the damper 50% closed. I usually see a 5 to 10 degree overshoot about one hour after putting the meat on, but this is only temporary. I guess it is due to the meat warming up.

Does the heat deflector get in the way of sliding the firebox in and out?

Would anybody (Darkoozy, I'm in Wylie, hint hint) that own one of these in the DFW area be kind enough to let me take a look at theirs before I order one? Please.

Here's what I'm thinking of ordering. Let me know what I should eliminate or add

Insulated Cabinet smoker
Stainless Handle
Stainless Shelf
Tie Down Rings
8" Locking Wheels
Adjustable T Plates
Heat Deflector Plate

Thanks in advance.

Would anybody (Darkoozy, I'm in Wylie, hint hint) that own one of these in the DFW area be kind enough to let me take a look at theirs before I order one? Please.

Here's what I'm thinking of ordering. Let me know what I should eliminate or add

Insulated Cabinet smoker
Stainless Handle
Stainless Shelf
Tie Down Rings
8" Locking Wheels
Adjustable T Plates
Heat Deflector Plate

Thanks in advance.

Everything you're thinking about getting I have and I love everything! You won't regret getting any of it.

Insulated Cabinet smoker
Stainless Handle
Stainless Shelf
Tie Down Rings
8" Locking Wheels
Adjustable T Plates
Heat Deflector Plate

Thanks in advance.

Ya, I can show you the smoker. Send PM and we can arrange something.

The heat deflector should not get in the way of the firebox. Perfect set of options.

For some of you that may be wondering how to clean up the outside and keep it looking new, I use 2 products. To take off the grease and grime, I use Fast 505. Wipe it off then I spray the Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner.

Before

After (what looks like what may be streaks is actually the reflection of the concrete)

For some of you that may be wondering how to clean up the outside and keep it looking new, I use 2 products. To take off the grease and grime, I use Fast 505. Wipe it off then I spray the Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner.

Before

After (what looks like what may be streaks is actually the reflection of the concrete)

Nice, I just use the degreaser and rinse off with water. I never thought of the stainless cleaner. Thanks for the pointers.

I am still looking for a fast and easy way to clean out the water pan.

Nice, I just use the degreaser and rinse off with water. I never thought of the stainless cleaner. Thanks for the pointers.

I am still looking for a fast and easy way to clean out the water pan.

If I have a lot of fat dripping into the pan, I'll run some water through it while shutting everything down and draining it. Other than that, I simply drain (using the edge of the driveway to get an angle to help drain out all the water) and then let the heat dry everything up. Not sure if this good or not but that's what I do.

:becky::becky::becky: Can you say mini?

10483130_10152969755902868_4273561325257342924_n.jpg

15481_10152969755777868_7856360293000841385_n.jpg

Where did you find the pics? They don't even list it on their site yet. Looks very well seasoned. I really like it!

Nice!

What type of burn times are you seeing?

Any more photos of her loaded up with food?

Looks like Amber posting those pics on face book yesterday spoiled my big announcement today. After a very long time of debating on the perfect size, testing a prototype, and dropping a few other projects we made the final push to get our "Mini" insulated smoker into a production model. The pics posted were of us seasoning one of 2 we have here on site for display. We also did some video that will be posted soon of the seasoning process and how to set up the fire as well as controlling temp with the ball valve. Descriptions, sizing, options, prices, and pictures are now on line and hopefully the videos will be added in the next week or two. We will be doing the typical product description video, the seasoning video, and a cook video. So far on all our testing it looks like this smoker is even more fuel efficient than the larger version consuming 1 pound per hour @ 225-250 as little as 3/4 per hour on some tests.

We have also added as a option for both smokers the heat deflector, all the feed back has been very positive and all our trials have proven that its a worth while addition to our smoker as a option. We want to thank every one here who helped us test the deflectors and the Brethern here as a whole for convincing us that the deflector would be an improvement to our current design. We are constantly inovating our products to make them the best and its a blessing to have so many people here to help us do that.

Thanks
Chris
Lone Star Grillz

Cook in pans. Then all you have to do is drain the water.

You know, I am still struggling with the notion of cooking in pans, even with the meats raised with grates sitting in the bottom of the pan. I need some heavy convincing :) that a 20lb brisket will get the same even bark and smoke sitting in a foil pan vs sitting directly on the cooking grates fully exposed to the elements inside the smoker. Maybe I am over-thinking this? The only cut of meat that ever sees a foil pan is pork butt after its ready to get wrapped...

Until then, I have to suffer flushing out grease from the water pan...

Looks like Amber posting those pics on face book yesterday spoiled my big announcement today. After a very long time of debating on the perfect size, testing a prototype, and dropping a few other projects we made the final push to get our "Mini" insulated smoker into a production model. The pics posted were of us seasoning one of 2 we have here on site for display. We also did some video that will be posted soon of the seasoning process and how to set up the fire as well as controlling temp with the ball valve. Descriptions, sizing, options, prices, and pictures are now on line and hopefully the videos will be added in the next week or two. We will be doing the typical product description video, the seasoning video, and a cook video. So far on all our testing it looks like this smoker is even more fuel efficient than the larger version consuming 1 pound per hour @ 225-250 as little as 3/4 per hour on some tests.

We have also added as a option for both smokers the heat deflector, all the feed back has been very positive and all our trials have proven that its a worth while addition to our smoker as a option. We want to thank every one here who helped us test the deflectors and the Brethern here as a whole for convincing us that the deflector would be an improvement to our current design. We are constantly inovating our products to make them the best and its a blessing to have so many people here to help us do that.

Thanks
Chris
Lone Star Grillz

Chris, this is awesome news.

I was very please to be able to test the heat deflector for you and provide positive feedback on my experience.

Thank you for listening, helping out and constantly innovating your product line. Its awesome what you guys are doing!

Back