Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I just got off the phone with the trucking company and new baby will be delivered tomorrow. I feel like a kid at Christmas except I know what Santa is bringing me.

I just got off the phone with the trucking company and new baby will be delivered tomorrow. I feel like a kid at Christmas except I know what Santa is bringing me.

Sounds awesome...I feel like a kid with a new toy every time I am getting ready to use it as well!

You gonna want to cook in it every weekends...

you think you are excited. As soon as I heard the news that my cooker was ready, I loaded up the son and drove (probably too fast) to pick it up so I wouldn't have to wait on the delivery company.

I also got the UPS delivery notice so it looks like I'll be a tester. I have an overnight cook planed for Saturday night and if the diffusers gets here by then I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I was also one of the lucky 10

I will post pics and results as well. I will plan a cook next week end, so I will behind some of you guys...Let us know how the heat diffuser goes.

The smaller version will be the same height with the same rack and fire box configuration but will be based on one full size foil pan per rack as opposed to two on the current version.

Thanks
Lone Star Grillz
Chris

I would be very interested in seeing and possibly buying one this size!!! Do you have a pricepoint on one this size?!!

i was afraid that putting in to much would make them catch the others but in fact its the opposite... Thank you I am judging on Saturday and doing a practice cook on Sunday, I going to cook the next couple without the stoker till I learn the pit, epic fail do over time...

It's the same concept as the A/C unit for your house. Too small of a unit and it will run constantly and never cool off the house. If the unit is oversized. It will get to temp quickly, and then just kick on as needed. Bigger is better and more efficient.

Here's a question do you have your 2" valve on the front port or the rear port? What was your rational for your choice? I have mine on the front because I feel I will draw air across the hot coals and warm it faster.

Here's a question do you have your 2" valve on the front port or the rear port? What was your rational for your choice? I have mine on the front because I feel I will draw air across the hot coals and warm it faster.

I ordered 2x2" ball valves to manage air flow. The front one is connected to the guru, and the rear one is opened during temperature ramp up. When I am 100 away from my target I close the rear valve and let the guru stoke the fire to my target temp. It's much easier to manage air.

Very useful if you want to add more air to the fire to raise temps during cooks as well.

I have 2x 2" bv. I use my guru on the front and use the back one for extra air. I use both when I don't use the guru and it is very efficient.

Attachments

• 2 bv.jpg
    2 bv.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 549
Chris,

How much do you expect the diverters to cost after testing? Any news on a baby insulated?

Chris,

How much do you expect the diverters to cost after testing? Any news on a baby insulated?

Not sure on the cost of the diverts yet, first I want to make sure they are beneficial. If they work well they wont be that expensive. The Small insulated is coming along, still no date yet but we do have a couple being built right now that will serve as our showroom model and a onsite demo unit. Getting the smaller unit ready for production is now the focus of any spare time we have, I am getting excited seeing it come together from 3d models and a prototype mock up to the real thing.

Thanks
Chris

Has any of the lucky 10 had a chance to try the diffuser plate yet? I recieved mine last week and plan to do a large cook with it this coming weekend.

I used the diffuser yesterday on a chicken smoke, so it was a short cook. Next weekend's cook will be longer and I'll know more. So far these are the notes.

- Came up to temp in about the same amount of time but I also hadn't lit (using weed burner) a lot of coals to begin with.
- I had a hiccup when loading the smoker with the chicken on the recovery time but as Chris pointed out to me it is probably because the Guru hasn't "learned" the set up with the diffuser so I need to reset the unit.
- Seems to not have used as much water or fuel. I had the LSG going around 250 which before would make lots of steam, it didn't do that as much this time. Again, longer cook will tell more.

Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. If it will reduce the amount of water usage and less fuel, this would be ideal.

Here is the temps report from Pit Pal to show the climb of the heat. This was with starting out with a preheat with the weed burner inside the pit and what would be considered half a load of started coals. I just go to anxious to see how the diffuser would work to let the coals burn some more to start off with as I usually do.

Pit Temps
5:23 PM 187
5:28 PM 204
5:32 PM 210
5:33 PM 209
5:39 PM 214
5:44 PM 218
5:44 PM 218
5:53 PM 229
5:58 PM 233
6:13 PM 243
6:14 PM 241
6:18 PM 243
6:23 PM 181
6:28 PM 208
6:28 PM 208
6:33 PM 214
6:34 PM 215
7:18 PM 244

Results on heat plate

Well folks I did a practice cook with no meat in the chamber. I usually don't use water and I cook @275, but tried filling the pan this time to see results. Here is a graph from my pitpal using my guru 25 cfm and only about 8lbs of Stubbs charcoal. Pit was preheated with weed burner and charcoal lit with weeks burner. Each drop in temp was because I opened the door and was looking at water level. I got about 8 hours running at 275' with only about half a bag of Stubbs charcoal. Will try with brisket and pork butts next week. So far I like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 473
Back