THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Country Style Spare Ribs

Interestingly enough, country-style ribs, don't actually come from the ribs. Thus creating a confusing product name not understood by many. The name allegedly is taken from the fact that the meat borders the rib area and has a texture and flavor similar to the meat around the ribs, but this theory of how they were given the name was taken from an article I read a many years ago.

A Google search revealed the following...
https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/
The North American Meat Processors Association says that country style ribs "shall be prepared from the blade end of a bone-in pork loin, and shall include not less the three ribs, and no more than six...

Country Style Ribs are cut from the blade end, just above or behind where the whole shoulder was taken off. Boneless Country Style Ribs can also be strips cut from thick pork shoulder steaks. This somewhat fatty economical cut is sold either bone-in or as boneless products. The meatiest variety of Country Style Ribs are cut from the sirloin or rib end of the pork loin and are usually labeled as "Pork Loin Country Style Ribs".

At the store two weeks ago I found some country style ribs reduced for quick sale, so I put them into the freezer for today's cook.

CSR%201_zpsx1yohyrk.jpg

I dusted them with "Phil's BBQ Gooba Dust", Phil's is a San Diego Based BBQ Restaurant. I received the rub and the sauce from Brethren TonyJohnson619 through a Brethren Trading Post Sauce & Rub trade.

CSR%202_zpskzcqkrv6.jpg

Lightly seared the country style ribs over the coals, then moved to the indirect side of the kettle.

CSR%203_zps6mpc1lhv.jpg

Cooked with indirect heat with apple wood chunks until tender.

CSR%204_zpsrcoupiqm.jpg

Sauced with Phil's BBQ Sauce before serving.

CSR%205_zpsfcfq1q8l.jpg

CSR206_zpsgv2tooka.jpg

Oddly enough, I find that Montreal steak seasoning goes really well on CSR. I cook mine slow as possible on a charcoal park grill. I start with a chimney load of coals, put the rack as high as it will go and cook 10 mins. Flip every 10 mins for a minimum of 45 mins, or until tender. I usually start dropping the rack after the first flip. I end up with the rack on the lowest notch for the last 10 minutes.

You can also see I use some pecan to smoke with while they're grilling...supplied by the tree right behind the grill. :D

I love those grills so much I installed one by my back door...they work great! Some of the best steaks I've ever done have come off of that grill.

You are doing others a good turn by posting this. I've had people rave over my CSR's, only to fail cooking them themselves following my directions, because I only buy the fattier shoulder cuts while they bought loin cuts. It's like the difference between whole spareribs and loinbacks. Both can be good, one just need less cooking time.

You are doing others a good turn by posting this. I've had people rave over my CSR's, only to fail cooking them themselves following my directions, because I only buy the fattier shoulder cuts while they bought loin cuts. It's like the difference between whole spareribs and loinbacks. Both can be good, one just need less cooking time.

Are the "fattier shoulder cuts" the ones that take to a longer, lower cooking time?

Somebody posted up a good description & how to tell the difference just looking at them awhile back & danged if if I can remember who or where it was....

Are the "fattier shoulder cuts" the ones that take to a longer, lower cooking time?

Somebody posted up a good description & how to tell the difference just looking at them awhile back & danged if if I can remember who or where it was....

Yes, they are. The label usually lists the difference. To me there is a visual difference, with the loin cut being a lighter color with little fat, while the shoulder cut is a richer red with marbling. The loin cuts don't work for low and slow, for me, only grilling. They always come out drier, with less meat flavor..

I don't honestly think I can say that I've had CSRs... :shock:

If they're as good as yours look, Bob, I need to remedy this with haste!

Looks like you grabbed a pretty sweet deal on 'em, too...

Back