Likes/dislikes, pros/cons of your toy(s)?

bjarolim

Full Fledged Farker
I wanna know all about your toys and what u like and dislike about them. If u could change anything to any of them, what changes u would make, if any. Big, small, doesn't matter. I wanna know about everything PBC, UDS, BGE, griddles, offsets, cabinets, whatever u have or have cooked on and its flaws or flawlessness.

Also if someone said, "hey, ill build u any pit, any style, any size, with absolutely no budget, no catch." what would u have this person build. Feel free to go into great detail, I'm sure nobody would mind.

I think this could get interesting!!!!!

I really like this javelin pro thermometer that arrived a couple weeks ago. It has a back lit screen and a hold feature that comes in handy.

I wish my 22 WSM had better access to the middle rack. Seems like they could redesign the shape of the door or move the rack down a bit or both. I rarely use the middle rack because of this issue.

People here may not know it, but I really like my Pit Barrel Cooker. If I could change one thing about it I would like it to be shiny red instead of black. Oh, and it would be nice if it had a bottle opener.

Oh, and it would be nice if it had a bottle opener.

Yeah, this should come standard with every grill sold anywhere ever!

Love the PBC as a set and forget cooker. Love how everything comes out like clockwork with little fuss. Love that its portable. Just took it camping the other week and it helped to feed 8 people spare ribs. Down side....its a set and forget cooker and cooks most things rather fast...this is a negative if you like babysitting a pit or need an excuse to spend more time pounding beers :D. It only cooks at PBC temp....which is fine, but again doesn't give you much excuse to fiddle with it.

Love the Big Joe's versatility in temp range and function. Once you dial in the temp you want it holds like a rock. No leaks and built tank tough. I've smoked as low as 170 and hit searing temps over 700. Super efficient burning coal too. Nothing wasted. Its fun to play at different temps and I'm looking forward to doing some breads and such in it. Not to mention its huge (least for my fam of 4). Negative is the weight of it. I'm not taking this thing ANYWHERE. It needs its own permanent spot. Sucker was a real pain in the ass to get in and out of a minivan as well. It was just me and my wife....I'd say to be safe you really should have 3 average size male adults to set it up.

Weber Kettle....need I say more? Easy on the pocketbook and versatile. Can really do it all if you have enough of em.

Weber Go Anywhere....really need to play with this more, but its a sweet little bugger and I picked it over the weber joe for ease of setting up the two zone fire. Love how the legs go over lid to secure it for travel.

Steeler Gasser. Wife got it for me a few years back and I still love it! Its got a sear station and side burner for quick meals too. No mess no fuss. And its my STEELER grill. I will keep this thing forever! Down side is that its a gasser, but hey, it does what it does well.

Pro's and con's

If it produces smoke that's a big plus. My biggest fear is when I'm gone the wife may sell my pits for what I told her they cost me. BIG CON right there!

This Kindling Cracker is still the best tool that I have spent money on...

No batteries needed, no skill or assembly required...and I still have all 8 fingers to show for it...and two thumbs. With the kindling that I make in a few minutes, I can literally light my stickburner with a single match...no weedburner required.

No batteries needed, no skill or assembly required...and I still have all 8 fingers to show for it...and two thumbs. With the kindling that I make in a few minutes, I can literally light my stickburner with a single match...no weedburner required.

Man Didn't even know this existed! I started cutting kindling for starting my fire on my custom offset. Found it to be a pain so I've just started stacking full splits and putting my propane torch to it for a minute or two.

Thanks for sharing this! With my offset though, It's so easy to start a fire especially leaving the firebox door open while its starting.

To answer the OP. I have toys and they all have their ups and downs. Like my WSM I hate there's no easy access to the 2nd grate. But the WSM is great for set it and forget it cooking. My new vertical offset I love everything about it. Nothing I would really change about it.

Man Didn't even know this existed! I started cutting kindling for starting my fire on my custom offset. Found it to be a pain so I've just started stacking full splits and putting my propane torch to it for a minute or two.

Thanks for sharing this! With my offset though, It's so easy to start a fire especially leaving the firebox door open while its starting

Once it gets going, my stickburner burns easily too. Just saves me from having to drag the weedburner and attached 20-lb propane tank out. I like getting to the basics, every now and then.

Wish my cinderblock pit was prettier. Guess I could decide on a permanent location and finish the outside with rock or something.
Also wish my horizontal wood burner was easier for me to move around. It's heavy! Needs a better set of wheels and a nice slab of cement to sit on.

Where can this thing be purchases

I bought mine on Amazon. But you can click on the pic and it will take you straight to the main website. It's $99, very heavy duty cast iron, simple and safe (compared to me swinging an axe, trust me). It's got a nice story behind it too...designed by a little girl...

I bought mine on Amazon. But you can click on the pic and it will take you straight to the main website. It's $99, very heavy duty cast iron, simple and safe (compared to me swinging an axe, trust me).

Haha...couple years back I split bout 10 ricks up with and axe and maul and have zero desire to do it again.

Maybe a splitter build with a kindling attachment is in my future now.

I wish my BW Party G2 had a drain for the water pan, it's a pain to remove when it's still pretty full.

BGE's are pretty much on point, can't think of anything negative.

MAK could be easier to clean, but I have an older model, and they've addressed the issues with the new ones.

Weber Kettles are on point, nothing to suggest there. I obviously prefer the OTG to the older ones...but still love them all (especially the

Santa Maria Pit was just rebuilt, no complaints. I like that we built it to the proper height for cooking, as well as just sitting around to enjoy an evening fire.

I started to do a lot more cooking in the warmer of my Shirley Fab. I wish I would of thought of to get a shelf on the side of the warmer box.It would make things easier putting food in and out. I am using my Shirley at least 3 or 4 times a week now that the weather has finally improved in the Northeast. Just love this cooker. I am now almost going on my 4th year since Paul made the Boss Hogg.

I was always annoyed with my WSM 22" and the flimsy door, but maybe it's just because I've always had my sights set on a big heavy offset, but with one 2 year old and another on the way, I opted for a Pitts and Spitts pellet smoker. Figure one day I'll get a big offset when I have more time, but that might not be for twenty or more years, or unless I hit the jackpot.

I have grill grates, and while I do enjoy them, I really hate cleaning them.... with a passion.

I wish my masterbuilt electric smoker had a thermostat that went over 275 degrees. I have thought about installing a jury rigged turbo-bypass-afterburner switch to the heating element.

Back