Lets Talk Charcoal Grill

Assassin would be another option that has a lid. Following the fire pit idea, look at Breeo.co

I have the Assassin 48” I just got. They have a 36” model that I think will fit the OP dimensions pretty close. I’ve cooked on it twice so far and doing another cook today. I can’t say enough good things about it. And I found it was cheaper than any other “quality” pits out there, although I found out he just recently raised prices. But I think it’s still cheaper than most others.

I’ve been watching his channel, a chud box may make it on my list of “to build” it’s basically a rectangle UDS... I think I like it...

Agreed. Meat, Kosher Salt, 16 Mesh Black Pepper plus 17 inch grate clearance (and a neighbor named Carl.)

I have the Assassin 48” I just got. They have a 36” model that I think will fit the OP dimensions pretty close. I’ve cooked on it twice so far and doing another cook today. I can’t say enough good things about it. And I found it was cheaper than any other “quality” pits out there, although I found out he just recently raised prices. But I think it’s still cheaper than most others.

Yes, the Assassins are certainly worth checking out as well. You can customize them as well. Check out the Facebook page for various customizations that people do with them. Price is right to boot..

I like that Chudbox / Chudbox Mini, but he's looking at a 15 month wait time right now (at least according to his website).

https://www.chudsbbq.com/shop

As for "live fire cooking" does anyone have any experience with the Kudu?

Nope, but I am married to a South African & have visited there as the maker of that grill claims. Never seen one of those in SA(looks like a mix between a skottle & a grill). They use a lot of webers & in-ground grills if not built in grills there. Grilling is life in SA. Google 'Braai' if you have a chance.

Id actually like to try the one you linked though. Has me curious. Just make sure you're not cooking a dry area with the wholes in the side lol.

Last edited:
I like that Chudbox / Chudbox Mini, but he's looking at a 15 month wait time right now (at least according to his website).

https://www.chudsbbq.com/shop

As for "live fire cooking" does anyone have any experience with the Kudu?

I really want a mini chud box. No issue waiting for it but my problem is i'm 3400 miles round trip from ATX. Hopefully one day he can ship them or i'll come up with a plan to get it to me or explore getting one built locally.

One suggestion if you have something built custom. Have it built that the charcoal grate is easily replaced or bullet proof. My buddy has a custom charcoal grill and the coal grate burns thru. It wasn't designed to be replaced so he has to band aid it back every so often.

I'd like something like a "mini chudbox" but with a height adjustable grate... just because.

I made a Santa Maria- and I like it a but I miss not having a lid to provide some baking effect and give some weather protection.

I use a 26 and a side table.If I need to step up one notch,I break out the Ranch Kettle.Bought my Rancher several years ago.Stopped by a pool and patio place that was going out of business and bought the floor model for 3 $100 bills cash.

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

well done!

Steak and pork is usually on one of the Weber kettles. Just a couple of steaks for my wife and I go on the 18 inch one. The 22 is used for larger cuts or longer cooks that don't go in a smoker.
Chicken is either a whole one on the 22 inch with the rotisserie or another charcoal grill for chicken halves. I don't remember how it ended up here but I have a Char-Griller offset. I found that I can put six halves at the end opposite the fire box with most of the charcoal going next to the fire box and a little spread under the chicken. Crispy skin and no flare ups.

Back