Suggestions for kettle please

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello everyone,

I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

I'm enjoying my new KBQ as a dedicated stick burner - smoker.

Next, I need to replace my BGE w/ a charcoal kettle. This will be my 1st charcoal kettle in many decades. I want it for grilling veggies, fish, chicken, steaks, brats & burgers, etc. I am also interested in the slow & sear & vortex. If one has the slow and slow is there any purpose in having a vortex? While the Kamado Joe Slow & Sear version looks nice, I don't think I need to spend that much to get a good kettle to use slow & slow for my purposes... especially considering I have another dedicated smoker.

I'd appreciate your input and advice regarding a new kettle, slow & slow, vortex.

Thanks in advance!
JD

JD, regarding the kettle, are you asking which one should you purchase? All depends how many you're cooking for.

What I will say is the vortex is a must for wings and such, and while I was initially skeptical about the slow n' sear, I am a converted believer, having used it many times for ribs and such, and it delivers admirably. These two versatile accessories are invaluable for kettle owners and I wouldn't be without them.

I don't want to be "that guy" but may I ask why you are replacing your BGE for grilling?

I have been using my large BGE for the last couple years specifically for grilling and experimenting with different processes and fuels. I have not really found a sweet spot with the BGE and am wondering if there really is not a sweet spot.

Good luck!

I don't want to be "that guy" but may I ask why you are replacing your BGE for grilling?

I have been using my large BGE for the last couple years specifically for grilling and experimenting with different processes and fuels. I have not really found a sweet spot with the BGE and am wondering if there really is not a sweet spot.

Good luck!

Hello Pog Mo,
No problem. 1st my BGE is a knock off. I've used it for over 10 yrs. It's showing some wear, mainly on the hardware. Unfortunately my wife and I are moving to SoCal (long story but I'm dreading every minuet of it). I don't think the egg will make the move. Too heavy and fragile. I'm donating it to a family friend who really wants it.
Now that I have the KBQ, I no longer need the smoking aspect of the BGE. I just need something to grill on. While the ceramics / kamotos can grill, I don't see the need for such a heavy and expensive unit just for grilling.
Make sense?
JD

Weber 26 and slow n sear. Have vortex too but ever since I bought the slow n sear I haven't used the vortex. That was 3 years ago.

I went down the ceramic kamado road for a good number of years. Sold em’ all and now have a 26 kettle w/ SnS and GrillGrates. For straight up grilling and smoking, it has been my all time favorite charcoal cooker to date. Simple, bullet proof and just flat out cooks.

I am in a similar boat where I got the Primo because it could do it all. Now that I have dedicated smoker I feel like the Primo is a bit redundant and not as good at grilling as my old weber 22.

I'm considering getting rid of the Primo for a weber 26.

Also, So Cal has a lot of great things to offer.

jjdbike,

Why are you replacing the BGE with a kettle? I have both. Truth be told, I can do much more on my BGE than I can on my old trusty kettle.

My kettle is my wing and thigh machine with the Vortex, as well as a good rotisserie.

Another vote for the SNS Kettle. I also love my Slow 'n Sear insert for that kettle as it provides you with "2 zone" cooking very easily. I use this primarily for grilling over the hot coals to get a good sear, and then over to the cooler side to finish getting the meat to the proper finishing temp.

I was all over the place for a couple of years when it came to grills and I'm kind of back to where I started many years ago ; Johnson Smokers offset smoker and my SNS kettle.

I'm glad you're loving your KBQ. Have you ever had any issues on a windy day with the wind picking up a hot coal and taking it away?

Like many have mentioned the Weber 26 is amazing. I sold mine last year and regretted it right away. It might be the greatest bang for your buck grill on the market.

I am in a similar boat where I got the Primo because it could do it all. Now that I have dedicated smoker I feel like the Primo is a bit redundant and not as good at grilling as my old weber 22.

I'm considering getting rid of the Primo for a weber 26.

Also, So Cal has a lot of great things to offer.

Thank JAKs, I'm trying to convince myself that I'll learn to like SoCal, to no avail. I absolutely hate crowds, cities and traffic. I've also had an aversion to the desert climate and landscape since I was a kid. If I had my druthers, I'd move to New England. Anyway I slice it, SoCal looks like an overpriced, over crowded desert to me. No offense intended to the hundreds of those who like it. It's just not my cup of tea. But, gotta do what I gotta do.... family first. Taking this one for the team.

Thanks for sharing about your cookers. I was wondering of others might be in a similar position w/ a ceramic.
Yes I think a CNS kettle will cover the bases that the stick burner does not.
Best regards,
JD

jjdbike,

Why are you replacing the BGE with a kettle? I have both. Truth be told, I can do much more on my BGE than I can on my old trusty kettle.

My kettle is my wing and thigh machine with the Vortex, as well as a good rotisserie.

Hello Smoking,

I'll quote my reply to Pog Mo who asked a very similar question.
"1st my BGE is a knock off. I've used it for over 10 yrs. It's showing some wear, mainly on the hardware. Unfortunately my wife and I are moving to SoCal (long story but I'm dreading every minuet of it). I don't think the egg will make the move. Too heavy and fragile. I'm donating it to a family friend who really wants it.
Now that I have the KBQ, I no longer need the smoking aspect of the BGE. I just need something to grill on. While the ceramics / kamotos can grill, I don't see the need for such a heavy and expensive unit just for grilling.
Make sense?
JD

Weber 26 and slow n sear. Have vortex too but ever since I bought the slow n sear I haven't used the vortex. That was 3 years ago.

^^ This is the way ^^

I actually use my 26 vortex in one of my 22's with a GBS grate (center removed because its about 3/4" taller than the one meant for a 22) and it works great for chicken. That said my daily driver for about 5 years has been a 26 with a SNS. Tough to beat.

Thank JAKs, I'm trying to convince myself that I'll learn to like SoCal, to no avail. I absolutely hate crowds, cities and traffic. I've also had an aversion to the desert climate and landscape since I was a kid. If I had my druthers, I'd move to New England. Anyway I slice it, SoCal looks like an overpriced, over crowded desert to me. No offense intended to the hundreds of those who like it. It's just not my cup of tea. But, gotta do what I gotta do.... family first. Taking this one for the team.

Thanks for sharing about your cookers. I was wondering of others might be in a similar position w/ a ceramic.
Yes I think a CNS kettle will cover the bases that the stick burner does not.
Best regards,
JD

SoCal is huge. Not all of SoCal is desert by any means. Where about are you moving to? Are you moving inland to the deserts? If you hate it that much already you really are going to hate it when you get here. :shocked:

SoCal is huge. Not all of SoCal is desert by any means. Where about are you moving to? Are you moving inland to the deserts? If you hate it that much already you really are going to hate it when you get here. :shocked:

Yup... self-fulfilling prophecy right?

Carlsbad area. I might feel differently if we were wealthy, could afford some space and elbow room on the coast & be able to travel to more preferable areas and climates frequently. I'm a teacher, so that's never going to happen.
I'll do my best by keeping myself busy fishing & cooking, till I get used to it. Fake it till you make it is all we have sometimes. Sometimes it even works.... Fingers crossed.
Thanks man,
JD

Back