Leftover Brisket (Point) Chili Recipe

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
I wanted to share with you a real good chili recipe using my left-over brisket meat. The original recipe is from Chef Tom at All Things BBQ. A link to his video is below. He used fresh ground brisket; I used a point from a brisket I smoked a couple days ago. The following recipe is his, I changed a few things, my changes are in parentheses. Overall, it rocks! A tad on the spicy side but not enough that you can’t taste all the flavors. Next time I may add a bit of dark chocolate to give it more of a southwest flavor and maybe a stout beer rather than the lighter amber.

• 1 1/2 lb ground beef brisket (I cubed a point I smoked a couple days prior. Smoked with oak. It was smoked to probe tender. Some of the cubes pulled a part a bit but I like the extra small pieces of meat in the chili).
  • 8 oz smoked beef sausage, diced
  • 1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning (I used Cattleman’s Steakhouse Southwest Seasoning).
  • 1 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt (I just used some kosher salt. I used just short of a tablespoon).
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 2 cups yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup poblano pepper, diced (I could not find poblanos at my markets. I used two Anaheim’s-seeded).
  • 1/2 cup jalapeños, diced (two seeded jalapenos).
  • 2 tbsp garlic, minced (I used two yuge tablespoons).
  • 1 (28 oz) can Ciao Italian Peeled Tomatoes (I used a store brand for this).
  • 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed (one can dark red, one light red).
  • 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 cup amber beer (I used a 12 oz can of amber lager. If you don’t like your chili with a lot of fluid just use ½ a can).
Sharp cheddar, for garnish
Sweet onion, diced, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish

I cooked mine on the stove-top while watching the Braves yesterday. Chef Tom's cooking process is as follows:

Build a hot charcoal base in the Kamado Joe Classic III ceramic charcoal grill and stabilize the temperature at 400ºF, set up for direct grilling. Place a Lodge 7 Quart Dutch Oven on the grill grates to preheat. When the cast iron is hot, add the ground brisket and smoked beef sausage. Stir in the Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning, Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt and cumin. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring occasionally. Add the onion, poblano and jalapeño. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook for about one minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the Ciao Italian Peeled Tomatoes, kidney beans and chipotles in adobo. Stir and break up the tomatoes. Add the beef stock and beer and bring to a simmer. Carefully remove the dutch oven from the grill. Remove the grates and add a fist sized chunk of hickory wood to the coal bed. Add the diffuser plate to create an indirect cooking setup. Return the grates to the grill and the dutch oven to the grates. Stabilize the temperature at 300ºF and smoke for one hour, or to your desired consistency. Remove the Classic Beef Chili from the grill and serve one cup portions topped with diced onion, sharp cheddar and sour cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx_v0tDQLFI

Hey, welcome fellow northern Nevadan! Hell we are only over the hill from each other. Tom’s recipe looks really good. Happy smoking!

Back