Lack of Smoke Flavor in Gravity Fed

ConvictedPigsQ

Found some matches.
I have a Myron Mixon G33. I've done 5 cooks on it and I am not getting any smoke flavor at all. I've done everything imaginable; added more chunks to ash pan, I've added to ash pan plus add chunks to chute, and even opened the chimney about 3/4th of the way. I don't know what to do, it's starting to get frustrating because my BBQ has completely changed taste and I actually hate it. I did 12 butts today and all I could taste was a chemical taste that appeared to be from the Kinsford Charcoal. Just got giggles I did 2 butts at the same time on my Humphrey's Battle Box vertical smoker using the same charcoal and same BBQ wood chunks and those butts turned out greet!

Maybe you need to communicate your frustrations with Myron Mixon and Company as they are the experts of your smoker. I'm confident they don't want dissatisfied customers.

Deja vu? Did you try the recommendations from your last thread?

As BigDawg said, the answer is Mojobricks. We have a Rebel Gravity Feed and have had the same problem. It burns so efficient that the smoking wood becomes fuel, rather than smoke flavor.

We started adding Mojobricks to the inside of the smoker against where the heat outlet is from the gravity feed with excellent results. We do still use smoking wood under the firebox though.

I have a superior ss1. What I use KBB when I load the chute, I will put a little KBB then a chunk or 2 more KBB another chunk or 2 till filled and will also add chunks to ash pan as well.

Put a grate on top of the ash pan and put wood on it. Gets it up out of the ash. Also use wood splits instead of chunks. Also use Stubbs briqs or lump.

I'm not familiar with that smoker , but I've cooked and owned several gravity fed cookers.
Thing to try: grab some hickory / larger chunks the better
If the exhaust is adjustable , try running it half/ to 2/3rds closed
Cook @ lower temps 225/275
get plenty of smoke on the food in the beginning / remember that cool meat will take on more smoke than room temp meat.
Gravity fed cookers burn very clean / you can get more smoke by burning larger chunks in the ash pan (maybe even mini splits) and cooking @ lower temps

I have a choice of post oak, peach, Cherry & Apple chunks from Fruita Wood online. When you all are talking about splits, should they be the 6in or 12in splits?

I have a choice of post oak, peach, Cherry & Apple chunks from Fruita Wood online. When you all are talking about splits, should they be the 6in or 12in splits?

As big as your cooker will comfortably fit. I take my hickory firewood and cut it with my chop saw ( mine are 6-8")

Back