Korean Pork Belly Bulgogi

babrisket

Knows what a fatty is.
My family and I recently were in South Korea and ate at one of the BBQ restaurants where you cook the meat on the table in front of you. It was all you could eat for around $9. They had different cuts of pork, the only one I recognized was sliced pork belly, but the others were just as fatty. The difference about this place was they had a flat griddle attached to the grill portion that all the grease drained into. It was on this flat part where you grilled the kimchi, rice cakes, sprouts, and garlic cloves in the pork fat. The pork was only seasoned with salt and for a dipping sauce we had a bowl of sesame oil with salt added. Man it was good. I've never been a fan of kimchi, but this was one way to make it not taste like feet. It was all wrapped in a leaf of lettuce. The grill was small allowing for a long meal and even better conversation with some local friends.

When I got home I knew I wanted to replicate the meal. I bought a 28" Bayou Classic cast iron skillet on amazon to use on my charcoal grill. I cooked a breakfast of bacon, hash browns, eggs and toast on it to season the griddle. I took note of the drainage of the bacon grease so I knew where to put the non-pork ingredients. I built a fire on one half of my Hasty Bake and put the pork belly slices on the hot side. I got the sliced pork belly from Sams.

Seasoned the pork belly slices with roasted salt I got from the local Asian market.

After some grease built up I added the kimchi, rice cakes, and garlic.

I cut up the strips into pieces to really crisp up all the edges. I found the more I chared the pieces, the better they tasted. I was afraid of drying them out, but I'm not sure its possible with all the fat in the pork belly. I also added some tofu, but there is not enough pork fat in the world that will make tofu taste good.

Platted with sesame oil and salt dipping sauce in a lettuce wrap.

It was really good for a first attempt. We had been marinating pork belly strips in a spicy marinade from the Asian market and just grilling them over charcoal. This was a nice change from our usual. It will be a hot one to cook this summer, it was 75 out and once the grill got going with the hot skillet and all the pork fat popping everywhere, my shirt was sweated through. Well worth it though.

As a Korean American the above was what stuck to me from what was a very good post.

FYI its not pork belly bulgogi. Its called Sam Gyup Sal

Thank you for the correct nomenclature.

Both of my sons are Korean and we try to incorporate Korean dishes into most meals. We always have a jar of kimchi in the house and serve it often. Ive eaten it over and over and keep waiting for my taste buds to develop a taste for it. Sadly growing up on sugary American treats has probably affected my preference for food. Cooking the kimchi did tame the flavors and made it very enjoyable to eat. I'll keep experimenting with it to see what ways I can incorporate this dish into meals.

If you have any methods of serving it other than as a cold side dish, I would be very appreciative if you would share.

Looks good. I was going to provide you the correct name for the dish, but Smoke already did. Just for ideas, here's a decent recipe for you:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgyeopsal-gui

My wife (Korean) just made this for us last week as it had been a while since I had had it. It was pretty delicious...

17264581_1668530733175185_3472130648550600697_n.jpg

17191474_1668530729841852_6735037664437659064_n.jpg

Definitely a great job for a first timer. Looks delicious.

there literally hundreds of different types of KimChi. The one made with nappa cabbage is the typical standard in KimChi. Pork belly and fried KimChi with cold tofu or pan fried is classic. Pretty much what you did there except the slices are cut into 1.5" WIDTH wise and the pork is cooked with the kimchi. The cold tofu is used to cut the salt and spiciness.

When KimChi gets ripe its used to make Kim Chi JiGae(Stew). Chop up ripe KimChi with pork (Belly works good but small pork ribs that have been separated is my personal favorite), garlic, onions and tofu. add water to cover up everything and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Also look up recipe for kimchi jun ( pancake)

Back