Korean BBQ on the High Plains - w/Pr0n

I used that same cucumber salad recipe last week when I made bulgogi and I thought it was very good.

Thanks! It wasn't nearly spicy as I expected, and so the only one who ate the mild version was our little one.
The flavor was really nice and a little smokey, and everything did get a bit more moist in the fridge during its rest.
Highly recommended.

Looking forward to the full meal! :hungry: :hungry:

"Holy Jesus!" - R. Lee Ermey

It got a little crazy as we tried to pull it all together... but Lawd, it was ah-mazing.

First, the Mandu.

YVHorKoh.jpg

DTDqAbEh.jpg

qkHyBg7h.jpg

Then, the kalbi ribs on the kettle. - I tried Mrs. Terry's "double-dip" technique at the flip. Pro Tip! - Broke out the kitchen shears and cut them down between the ribs for easier serving and eating.

UoroDQDh.jpg

8xFn0cyh.jpg

Here's my own take on BigMista's BAPOM, Korean Style:

7ylpr1Xh.jpg

Munchkin helped with the Korean Slaw:

- Titch - We did it with the Tamari (Soy Sauce), and it was excellent. I don't think you're going to go wrong with either direction, as the flavor was a nice accompaniment vs. the whole game. Hope you try it!

uJCAe91h.jpg

This is just the first round for our girl...

w9uviZEh.jpg

Kid asked for 3 more mandu and 4 more ribs!

Here's a quick shot of my plate...

rW4S8GXh.jpg

I'll be honest and say that I had 4 more mandu and 6 more ribs,

We all wanted to keep going, and CINCHOUSE threatened to go over and lick all of the 4 remaining rib pieces, just for the flavor. I wouldn't blame her in the slightest.

If you're on the fence, or have any leaning towards trying kalbi beef ribs and Korean banchan, I hope this will push you over the edge to try it.

Next time, we've gotta try Mrs. Terry's marinade!

Awesome, brother. Appreciate the links (amazingly, to the same place I was browsing before) to your suggestions. I'll add those to the list to try next time around.

I've absolutely had that spicy green onion salad before in Songtan! Great to see the recipe and see if I can whip up some here in the US.

The Corn Cheese looks like one of those crazy American-Korean "fusion" dishes from the 50s... but I see why your daughter would tear that up.

The soup looks thoroughly interesting, and makes sense for hot summer days/nights out here on the High Plains. I'll have to look into that a bit more, but the "after dinner" option intrigues me, too.

Thanks again!

There are two main types of naengmyeon. Mul naengmyeon is noodles in cold broth. Bibim naengmyeon is noodles in spicy gochujang sauce mixture. North Korea is famous for their naengmyeon. It's my dream to see North and South Korea reunited one day and to be able to travel there to eat the naengmyeon.

Here I have both types of naengmyeon because I couldn't decide which I wanted.
GQbDkCwh.jpg

Although you can make the beef broth from scratch, it's too much work for most people and very time consuming. So most people buy prepackaged naengmyeon from the grocery store. I have both types of prepackaged naengmyeon in the freezer ready to eat.

This package has mul naengmyeon and comes with broth, noodles, and everything you need to quickly make it.
uimfPMih.jpg

Hi food4thot Would have a recipe for Chinese BBQ Sauce for pork ribs?
Thanks DanB

There's a simple recipe for Korean Beef in the book Nourishing Traditions

1 flank steak
1/2 cup naturally fermented soy sauce
2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
1 bunch green onion finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch stevia powder

Partially freeze then thinly slice the steak across the grain into strips. Marinate steak in the rest of the ingredients several hours or overnight. Loosely ribbon/fold strips onto skewers.

The cooking instructions call for 5-7 minutes per side on the grill. Don't do that...way too long. 2-3 minutes a side is plenty.

The meat is so good I often eat a lot of it raw while skewering it. Usually triple the recipe because of that.

The recipe also suggests kimchi and ginger carrots to go with the beef and directs to recipes for those in the book.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dan, I don't. I find many Asian sauces too sweet.

Tried a Korean BBQ place nearby. First got their carpaccio (top pic). It was excellent. Best tenderloin I ever had. Was like beef sashimi, served with a sesame soy sauce and fresh wasabi.

Second time I ordered their steak tartare (bottom pic), figuring it would be just as good. Was highly disappointed. The meat was mixed with really sweet sauce. So sweet I only ate a couple bites and pitched the rest

dae_ja10.jpg

20190418.jpg

Those ribs, that plate, did not disappoint Marc. Can't believe how big Munchkin has gotten, seems like yesterday she was sitting in her highchair.

I tried a few of the Chinese BBQ Sauces at an Asian market place nothing came close to what I was looking for.
Thanks DanB

Sorry Dan, I don't. I find many Asian sauces too sweet.

Tried a Korean BBQ place nearby. First got their carpaccio (top pic). It was excellent. Best tenderloin I ever had. Was like beef sashimi, served with a sesame soy sauce and fresh wasabi.

Second time I ordered their steak tartare (bottom pic), figuring it would be just as good. Was highly disappointed. The meat was mixed with really sweet sauce. So sweet I only ate a couple bites and pitched the rest

dae_ja10.jpg

20190418.jpg

Back