Korean BBQ on the High Plains - w/Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Hit the commissary last night to make BBQ Chicken, when I discovered flanken-cut beef ribs, and some marinade. Why not!?

dh2Ik8qh.jpg

I really liked the marbling on these.

tbmvDYch.jpg

They've been marinating since last night after dinner, and I'm trying to figure out what to have with them besides a bit of obligatory rice.

I've been in search of good banchan recipes, and here are a couple that I think we're going to run with.

OI Muchim (Spicy Cucumber Salad)

INGREDIENTS FOR KOREAN CUCUMBER SALAD

(Preparation: 16 mins, Cooking: 2 mins)

1 Cucumber (145g, 5.1 ounces): I used Lebanese cucumber. Korean cucumber or other cucumbers that are suitable for pickling or salad can be used.
1/4 onion (25g, 0.9 ounces)
1 Tbsp rock salt (or Korean coarse salt)
Seasoning sauce (mix these in a small bowl)
1 Tbsp Korean chilli flakes (gochugaru)
1 tsp white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp sesame seeds

and

Spicy Korean Coleslaw

INGREDIENTS FOR SPICY KOREAN COLESLAW

Main

400g to 500g / 0.9 to 1.1 pounds cabbage, cored
60g / 2 ounces carrots, julienned
1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
(optional) 6 perilla leaves, thinly sliced
fine sea salt
Sauce (Mix these in a bowl)

2 Tbsp gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 to 1.5 Tbsp Korean fish sauce or 2 Tbsp regular soy sauce
1 Tbsp (raw) castor sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 tsp minced garlic

If you've got some other ideas, I'm all ears and very interested.

More to follow. Should be a good evening ahead.

Well, I picked up the Korean ground chili and asked the proprietor what she would make to go along with Kalbi beef.

She mentioned the cucumber salad above, and offered up some (prefab) mandu (Korean potstickers) as an option. I bit, and we'll try a couple with lunch.

Awe man, that sounds fantastic! I really like your sides too! At my house, potstickers of any kind go really fast and are a regular meal everyone enjoys, unless they have kimchi in them...then they are all mine. And dont forget to serve some kimchi too! I am looking forward to seeing this.

Oh yeah... it's been a long time since I last had mandu (Korean joint out the Ramstein AB back gate into Einsiedlerhof)!

These are more fried in oil than their generally steamed Japanese gyoza cousins, and they have a decidedly richer flavor.

I whipped up a simple dipping sauce with tamari, rice vinegar, chili oil, lime juice, and just about a tsp of sambal olek.

4XkhW9sh.jpg

I chuckle at the Mexican beer, but it's the closest I can get to a Hite out here.

Yep. These will absolutely make another appearance tonight with the kalbi.

The munchkin just devoured hers without the sauce.

Now we're talking! Great looking short ribs and good choice on the banchans. I don't really need lot of banchan with kalbi. As long as I have some kimchi and lettuce for ssam, I'm good. And good call on the potstickers as appetizer. Some of those prepackaged ones are really good when you pan fry it.

I like green onion salad as banchan with any type of BBQ. It really cuts through the fat and grease of the meat. It's really great with grilled pork belly.

My daughter likes corn cheese. I admit it's pretty addictive.

I like finishing the BBQ meal with small serving of mul naengmyeon which is cold noodle soup. The cold broth and noodles are refreshing after the hot meal. We buy the prepackage ones and have some in the freezer. I had some today for lunch.

Awesome, brother. Appreciate the links (amazingly, to the same place I was browsing before) to your suggestions. I'll add those to the list to try next time around.

I've absolutely had that spicy green onion salad before in Songtan! Great to see the recipe and see if I can whip up some here in the US.

The Corn Cheese looks like one of those crazy American-Korean "fusion" dishes from the 50s... but I see why your daughter would tear that up.

The soup looks thoroughly interesting, and makes sense for hot summer days/nights out here on the High Plains. I'll have to look into that a bit more, but the "after dinner" option intrigues me, too.

Thanks again!

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Those look delicious Marc!

Small world, my son was based at Ramstein. Not a pilot but a computer geek for OSI.

Started the Ol Muchim - Cucumber Salad (from above). Decided to split the cucumber and do a less spicy version, and a "regular" version.

Not difficult, but it looks interesting. The "Sauce" mentioned in the recipe wasn't much liquid, but I expect the cucumber and onion will continue to express water as they absorb the chili and such. :noidea:

"Mild" Version:
08fcsioh.jpg

"Regular" Version:
oe8tlfbh.jpg

Sounds and looks great.

There's a simple recipe for Korean Beef in the book Nourishing Traditions

1 flank steak
1/2 cup naturally fermented soy sauce
2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
1 bunch green onion finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch stevia powder

Partially freeze then thinly slice the steak across the grain into strips. Marinate steak in the rest of the ingredients several hours or overnight. Loosely ribbon/fold strips onto skewers.

The cooking instructions call for 5-7 minutes per side on the grill. Don't do that...way too long. 2-3 minutes a side is plenty.

The meat is so good I often eat a lot of it raw while skewering it. Usually triple the recipe because of that.

The recipe also suggests kimchi and ginger carrots to go with the beef and directs to recipes for those in the book.

That has my attention

is almost the same as Vietnamese coleslaw, have you tried it with the Soy sauce sub for Fish sauce?
jst a small regional difference I suspect
I would be all over that

is almost the same as Vietnamese coleslaw, have you tried it with the Soy sauce sub for Fish sauce?
jst a small regional difference I suspect
I would be all over that

We're getting ready to... not sure which way CINCHOUSE will lean, as we have both fish sauce and tamari on-hand. Either way, I'm sure it'll be good.

Fish sauce recipe, also from NT:

1 1/2 pounds small fish, including heads, cut up
3 tbsp sea salt
2 cups filtered water
2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 tsp peppercorns
several pieces lemon rind
1 tbsp tamarind paste (optional)
2 tbsp whey

Toss fish pieces in salt and place in wide-mouth mason jar. Press down with a wooden pounder or meat hammer. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over fish. Add additional water to cover fish. The top of the liquid should be at least 1 inch below top of the jar. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for about 3 days. Transfer to refrigerator for several weeks. Drain liquid through a strainer and store fish sauce in the refrigerator.

There's already lot in this thread to stay busy with! :hungry:

Looking forward to the full meal! :hungry: :hungry:

Back