Kingsford smelled like lighter fluid.

Yep, once you try the natural stuff for a while and then use products such as K, I feel you can tell the difference. When catering and grilling, I use lump, it just smells more aromatic to me and that is what I want to the client to smell!

I used a chimney full of the OLD style Kingford last week end ( yes no grooves or k's) does anyone remember the way it smelled - a nice deep woody smell? the briquet's are peppered with little wood flecks - while it did smell good I wonder how much of that was a cover up ... perhaps the fuel like smell was masked by all the wood flecks

Either way the old Kingsford does smell much better and lasts longer

Amazingly enough I just read this thread and, I have been presented with this questions at the last couple of comps that I did. I have an Ole' Hickory Pit, and had bought 2 pallets of the old style Kingsford last year before it changed.
I noticed when opening the pit, that I thought it had a distinct smell of lighter fluid. I start the pit using the gas burner, so there is never any lighter fluid in the equation. Next cook I'm going to use some Royal Oak to see if I get the same from it.

I have been using kingsford for a while. I don't even have lighter fluid on my property and my kingsford does not spell like LF when I use it in my cookers.... If you think you have bad kingsford, which may be possible because anything is these days, just take it back to the store and get your money back. And leave the "hater-raid" at home when it comes to bashing Kingsford.

I found some old K in my dads shed and I used it last weekend. I did not noticed much of a difference between it and the old (smell), I also can not say for sure if it burns longer as this was my first time using a WSM but it did burn forever :mrgreen: ...

sdfgds789.jpg

gtgg346.jpg

well I guess from another perspective, there's a reason it's called charcoal. By definition you'd think it has to emit some oder in the intitial stages. You're burning something - right?
To me any charcoal smell like coal burning When I was growing up our family use coal for heat. Also some people sense of smell or taste is more than other. That why I use wood.

Back