KCBS Says Cheating Better Than Offending TOTY

You were kicked out of KCBS for 3 years because of an apron?? What exactly about wearing an apron is a problem??

In an attempt to avoid another 18 page thread on the topic, some one on another team dared some one else on my team to accept an award while wearing an adult themed apron (fabric men's genitalia). I had no part in it, but both the team member and I were banned for three years from competing, to be followed up by two years of probation. The reason for my punishment is that I was the "head cook" on the application and some people on the BOD felt that it meant I was required to be punished for some one else's actions. The person who provided the apron and the dare received one year probation.

If any one feels that I have mis-represented the facts above, let me know, but please no arguing over opinions. This is not about me so much as honourable KCBS and how important ethics are to the sanctity of the game and the reputation of the organization.

dmp

Still on the newer side of competition experience so forgive the question but.........

You were kicked out of KCBS for 3 years because of an apron?? What exactly about wearing an apron is a problem??
It wasn't about wearing an apron, it was about the chosen apron. It turned into a big deal. I'll let DMP answer more if he chooses. Oh, and he did not wear the apron, a member of his team did.

And for the sake of clarity....

There was a motion brought up to the BOD in March to reduce my ban from three years to one year. Almost every one who voted to reinstate the rep fired for cheating less than a year ago felt it was appropriate to keep my ban at three years. The point is that six people on the current board felt that one year was enough for cheating, but not for inpropriety through association.

dmp

Last edited:
What's the background on the cheating rep?? Forged score cards how??......to let some team he knows win or what??

Permanent ban should have been handed out for that as well.

Once a cheat........always a cheat.

Thanks.........I have no tolerance for idiots of that ilk. A permanent ban would have gotten a "yes" vote from me.

Grow up or stay home.

Sorry if you got caught in your pals stupidity but you are in charge.
Wow, that is pretty harsh. There are a lot of things that can and do happen at BBQ comps, some are pretty juvenile. A permanent ban, that goes pretty far for something that is, at best, poor judgement.

Good on ya brother! Nice to know I'm not the only black sheep in a BBQ association that calls out the low-lifes...:clap:

Thanks.........I have no tolerance for idiots of that ilk. A permanent ban would have gotten a "yes" vote from me.

Grow up or stay home.

Sorry if you got caught in your pals stupidity but you are in charge.

Like you said, you just got started in competition BBQ, so I'll give you a pass on the the ignorance you show by ASSuming that you know anything about the organization of every BBQ team out there, because the assertion that I was "in charge" of anything shows exactly how little you know. I was the guy on the team who filled out the paper work. Nothing more.

In addition to that, I'll wish you exactly as much success in your competitive BBQ career as as the amount of logic, thought, and understanding you have shown in your two posts on this thread.

I said I didn't want another long thread discussing the merrits of my punishment, and I meant it. I guess I've allowed myself to get sucked into it, but if you wanna get on a soap box to complain about how you stand behind my punishment, please do it on another thread. This is about the fact that the punishment was harsher than for cheaters.

dmp

Wow, that is pretty harsh. There are a lot of things that can and do happen at BBQ comps, some are pretty juvenile. A permanent ban, that goes pretty far for something that is, at best, poor judgement.

I don't think it's harsh at all. This isn't Saturday night at 2 am with a couple teams hanging around a fire or cooker sharing a few too many beers. This is the awards ceremony where parents, kids, and families gather to celebrate the weekends efforts and congratulate the winners.

It's not a frat house.........baseline decency and maturity are all that is needed to fit in and this guy couldn't even muster up the brain power to get that far.

Sorry, but no sympathy here.

Like you said, you just got started in competition BBQ, so I'll give you a pass on the the ignorance you show by ASSuming that you know anything about the organization of every BBQ team out there, because the assertion that I was "in charge" of anything shows exactly how little you know. I was the guy on the team who filled out the paper work. Nothing more.

In addition to that, I'll wish you exactly as much success in your competitive BBQ career as as the amount of logic, thought, and understanding you have shown in your two posts on this thread.

I said I didn't want another long thread discussing the merrits of my punishment, and I meant it. I guess I've allowed myself to get sucked into it, but if you wanna get on a soap box to complain about how you stand behind my punishment, please do it on another thread. This is about the fact that the punishment was harsher than for cheaters.

dmp

I'm the head cook of my team and I am in charge and responsible for everything and anything we do. If someone on my team does something to break the rules or be an event ruining idiot I would expect to be held responsible myself. Who the hell else is supposed to be responsible for the clowns YOU choose to bring to the party??

Despite your ill wishes (classy).......our team is doing just fine in competition.

You want to go on pretending you share no responsibility for the actions of your team members then fine..........have fun in denial. They make someone sign up as the head cook for a reason.

I don't think it's harsh at all. This isn't Saturday night at 2 am with a couple teams hanging around a fire or cooker sharing a few too many beers. This is the awards ceremony where parents, kids, and families gather to celebrate the weekends efforts and congratulate the winners.

It's not a frat house.........baseline decency and maturity are all that is needed to fit in and this guy couldn't even muster up the brain power to get that far.

Sorry, but no sympathy here.

Did you happen to read the thread about how this all started? If not, I'll fill you in that dmpratz wasn't even at the awards ceremony and never knew until after that some one on his team did some things immature and stupid. He simply got caught in the crossfire because he was listed as the "head cook" on the paper work.

He was more than willing to accept a punishment of some sort, but many felt that the 3 year ban was very excessive. Now, only to have salt thrown on the wound with the latest regarding the cheating rep issue.

Sorry to hear of this dmp. I'm starting to think that my temporary break from competing due to work may turn into a permanent break if it means financially and indirectly supporting KCBS through sanctioned competing.

dmpratz wasn't even at the awards ceremony and never knew until after that some one on his team did some things immature and stupid. He simply got caught in the crossfire because he was listed as the "head cook" on the paper work.

Thank you for the kind words, and again not wanting to relive previous threads, but for the sake of honesty, I was at awards. I did not walk to awards with my teamate, and I did not sit with him at awards. I didn't even see the apron because I was in the back. I did not realize that there were any issues until I went up to get my score sheet and was told I would probably be banned for one year for something I didn't do because I wrote my name on a piece paper. There's always gotta some one to blame, because that makes life easier. Even if it's wrong.

dmp

Did you happen to read the thread about how this all started? If not, I'll fill you in that dmpratz wasn't even at the awards ceremony and never knew until after that some one on his team did some things immature and stupid. He simply got caught in the crossfire because he was listed as the "head cook" on the paper work.

He was more than willing to accept a punishment of some sort, but many felt that the 3 year ban was very excessive. Now, only to have salt thrown on the wound with the latest regarding the cheating rep issue.

Sorry to hear of this dmp. I'm starting to think that my temporary break from competing due to work may turn into a permanent break if it means financially and indirectly supporting KCBS through sanctioned competing.

Yes, I read it..............I also said sorry he got caught up in his teammates stupidity.

Head cooks are in charge for a reason. I think he was lucky to get away with a 3 year ban. I also think its BS the cheating KCBS guy only got a year.

He started the thread...........don't blame the people who are just speaking honestly and not being cheerleaders just because he's a fellow cook.

We're all grown ups........stuff like this shouldn't even be in realm of possibility but unfortunately it still is.

Yes, I read it..............I also said sorry he got caught up in his teammates stupidity.

Head cooks are in charge for a reason. I think he was lucky to get away with a 3 year ban. I also think its BS the cheating KCBS guy only got a year.

He started the thread...........don't blame the people who are just speaking honestly and not being cheerleaders just because he's a fellow cook.

We're all grown ups........stuff like this shouldn't even be in realm of possibility but unfortunately it still is.

I hope none of your associates ever make a mistake. But I guess if they do it will be interesting to see you appeal your ban. A wise Man once told me while laughing that some thought the glass was half empty and others argued it was half full. When I asked why he was laughing, he nearly bust a gut before he told me... I pissed in the glass.

Walk a mile in another shoes bro.

We're all grown ups.../QUOTE]

He also asked specifically that this thread not turn into another thread about what happened last year, and as an adult you should respect that, since we're all grown ups.

Cheating judges should get a stiffer punishment, hands down. I read that original thread awhile back, and it still boggles my mind that they didn't just hand out a lifetime ban to the guy who was acting in such a lewd fashion.

While we're on the "Had it been me" shtick, had it been me I'd have announced the apron wearer supreme commander of the competition, and handed him Eleventy billion dollars. :heh:

Disappointing to hear of this about the KCBS. Up here in the Pacific Northwest we are hurting for event reps. Events have to fly at least one in for contests. I would be absolutely livid to the point of bringing in legal counsel if I, as a contest organizer, caught the event rep changing scores or cheating in any way at my event. In many ways what this rep is accused of is far worse than the great apron incident. It reflects poorly on the KCBS and even more so on the event organizer.

I hope none of your associates ever make a mistake. But I guess if they do it will be interesting to see you appeal your ban. A wise Man once told me while laughing that some thought the glass was half empty and others argued it was half full. When I asked why he was laughing, he nearly bust a gut before he told me... I pissed in the glass.

Walk a mile in another shoes bro.

A "mistake"???

Wearing fake male genitals in front of people's families, and young children is not a "mistake". You are either drunk, an idiot or both if you think that is acceptable public behavior in front of women and children.

If someone on my team makes a mistake I will take full responsibility.......you do every time you let someone else watch over what goes in the box, you get that score or DQ weather or not you would have done the same. That's why there is a HEAD cook.

I am a pharmacist........I live by these rules every day. I could do everything right and have an untrained kid at the register give out the wrong bag to someone with a drug that hurts or god forbid kills them. Guess who the pharmacy board, the lawyers and corporate are gonna want to talk to. You think they are going to care if it was because some 17 year old kid grabbed the wrong bag?? NOPE!!!!! I am in charge so EVERY aspect of that pharmacy is my responsibility good-bad-right or wrong.

It's called being an adult............besides that I don't have to worry about anyone on my team EVER doing something so stupid because I simply don't associate with people like that.

Makes life more fun :smile:

Back