KCBS Meat Inspection Guide

QN

is one Smokin' Farker
The KCBS Meat Inspection Guide available for members to download from the KCBS web site in the Resources/Downloads area is not current. This is what is stated in this document dated 3/2008 that has yet to be updated to reflect the current rules;
  • Pork: Pork shall be Boston Butt, Picnic and/or whole shoulder weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds or more (bone in or bone out). No Pork Loin, Pork tenderloin, Pork Chop or other type of pork roast is permitted.
You should look at the label to try to determine the cut of meat. If there is not a label on the meat, (and it is not required) inquire of the cook about the cut. KCBS only accepts the National Pork Board definitions as to the description of Boston Butt, Picnic and/or whole shoulder. Should you have questions or the cook team have questions please refer to the Contest Representative for further clarification. You may also suggest the cook check out the National Pork Boards definitions for Boston Butt (406 bone in or boneless); Picnic (405 bone in or boneless); and whole shoulder (403).

Over the past 60 to 90 days I have personally spoken to two board members about this and have exchanged emails with another about the need for this document to be updated. As of today, nothing has been done to update this document and from the most recent quick notes, it has still not been brought up in a board meeting or committee meeting. With all the discussion about the pork rule on this forum and elsewhere it would seem that KCBS would want to have the correct and up to date information posted.

The last 2 comp threads I have commented on directly or indirectly is on this issue. There was a thread on the pork rule and I had commented, and while a nice discussion with a brethren/rep happened my point was if it is "labeled" a pork butt how would anyone know how it was trimmed exactly and then why couldnt they have it trimmed by the butcher the specific way they cook wants. I understood his answer but it seemed to disagree with what you just posted, which disagreed slightly with the new pork rule which disagreed with the rep advisory on pork, which disagreed with a contest rep I asked this question to.

I wasnt to worried but wanted some clarification and called KCBS. Talked to Karen and she agreed and suggested I send an email to her to give to the rules committee because she was curious their response.

So when the quick notes came out i read them to see if it was even discussed, it doesnt seem to have been, so when Candy put here on the brethren about quick notes I had said I was disappointed with something. The reason i read them at all was to see if there was a response to my question which now you too are bringing up.

Personally i would rather just cook pork turn it in and take my lumps. But it was sounding like under new rules a boneless butt would be illegal, especially if all the muscle groups are not there. How would I honestly know if it is labeled a certain way?

I know how reps in my area would interpret the pork rule and maybe that is all I should worry about. But if I ever wanted to " stretch my legs" to different areas and wanted to do a boneless or trimmed butt i wanted to know it would be interpreted the same way. What you pointed out I think is why so many questions. There is this, there is the pork rule and there is an advisory.

Back