KCBS BOD voting

Randall, I appreciate you stating your facts. I know you busted it at WFC, I saw it first-hand. Thanks for setting the record straight. This is a fine example that I shouldn't believe everything that gets told to me...

I've had time now to review choices for KCBS BOD. There is one, perhaps two that meet my criteria to have my vote.
All that I'm sure of is there will be no current KCBS BOD members or any current KCBS Representatives that will even get a look from me. The board is chock full of representatives that mostly kowtow to the long time "originators" of the brand that still consider that purpose of KCBS competition is "to have fun".
Ed

Another candidate you might consider is Kimberly Moore. Kim and her husband Ryan are the pit masters for Knock Ur Sox Off BBQ, and have been competing the last 5 years. She's was the first women President of the California BBQ Association. And has been serving in that position successfully the last 2 years. She's very task oriented, and has proven that she can lead and get things done. She is very dedicated to all aspects of the BBQ Community.

She's definitely getting one of my votes.

I would like to officially announce my endorsement of Kim Moore for BOD. :grin: I've been privileged to work with Kim on many events for the CABBQA, and always been excited at the outcome. As the current President of the CABBQA, Kim is someone who always has the teams best interest at heart and works hard to represent everyone equally. Her passion is second to none and her vision and foresight bring a fresh and welcome energy to the BBQ family. She is what is needed on the BOD and I'm very happy to be giving her my vote.

Last edited:
Another +1 for Kim Moore. She has done great things as President of CBBQA. As a competitor I feel she has our best interest in mind. Kim has a love and passion for bbq. Her dedication to the sport and community is remarkable.

As small as KCBS is in the big picture of organizations, a 12 member board creates the very frustration that we see in everything KCBS. If it were to drop to a 5 member Board, and policy and administration was developed from day to day staff and directed by a board, then maybe KCBS could evolve.

12 members only meeting once a month and depending on a 3rd party for its growth and survival will never see anything more than it is now.

Vote for whomever you want, the process guarantees "Stockholm Syndrome" for every member elected.

There are some members on the current board that I consider friends, and its easy for me to tell which ones have the Syndrome.......

I still plan to vote for 4 candidates because I still believe as flawed as it is, its the best thing going for us that love this whole passion of competition BBQ.

As small as KCBS is in the big picture of organizations, a 12 member board creates the very frustration that we see in everything KCBS. If it were to drop to a 5 member Board, and policy and administration was developed from day to day staff and directed by a board, then maybe KCBS could evolve.

12 members only meeting once a month and depending on a 3rd party for its growth and survival will never see anything more than it is now.

Vote for whomever you want, the process guarantees "Stockholm Syndrome" for every member elected.

There are some members on the current board that I consider friends, and its easy for me to tell which ones have the Syndrome.......

I still plan to vote for 4 candidates because I still believe as flawed as it is, its the best thing going for us that love this whole passion of competition BBQ.

I agree and this is why I want to challenge the status quo on all things KCBS. Someone has to be willing to be the "bad guy" to challenge the BOD and Executive Director to do what is needed for the membership vs themselves. Everything should be questioned or nothing will change.

Qualls would have been a positive for the board , if he was only elected.....

I voted for him. I also told him that, personally, I was happy for him that he wasn't elected;)

If you look at the composition of the board this year, and the seats that will be open, this is probably the most pivotal election that I can remember since I've been around KCBS.

I can almost bet what is going to happen. Some folks that I like and would normally get my vote wont this year. I hope others follow along and not vote for someone because they know their name. Psssttt... How is that working for the BoD now? If you think its great, vote for a name or a regional favorite. If you want change, you will listen to the finer points and read all of their answers. We need more pro-cooks on the BoD. If cooks keep walking away from comleting, reps and CBJ's have no jobs... So no offense to either. But we as cooks need to have a louder voice. We seem to express our thoughts on new issues and it is like it is silent. The block is going to do what they want to do. Whether that is best for the cooks or not.... Folks need to rock the damn boat. If this last presidential election doesnt show one thing, it's get rid of the establishment and bring in new views. So no offense to any of those that I would normally be voting for. We need change and Im not talking about bringing in a new relative to the BoD is going to do it for change. This how its been done every year since I can remember. Its not working.

I agree with the above in theory! In practicality I don't. Can a cook chair the rep committee? And be effective not knowing what a contest rep does? I don't think so. Can a cook be a good chair for the CBJ committee? Maybe. I don't think that having all cooks on the board will make KCBS better.

If cooks are the core, why isn't every cook a member of KCBS? I've said that I consider contests reps at the heart of every contest. They have to interact with every side of the event, the organizers, the judges and the cooks.

I agree with the above in theory! In practicality I don't. Can a cook chair the rep committee? And be effective not knowing what a contest rep does? I don't think so. Can a cook be a good chair for the CBJ committee? Maybe. I don't think that having all cooks on the board will make KCBS better.

If cooks are the core, why isn't every cook a member of KCBS? I've said that I consider contests reps at the heart of every contest. They have to interact with every side of the event, the organizers, the judges and the cooks.

The Board should consist of all groups of the membership but I believe that KCBS revolves around the Cook as without them there are no contests, thus no KCBS. That does not mean Organizers, Reps and Judges are not crucial to the overall success, of course they are. But if BOD and Executive Director decisions continue to be made without consideration as to how it impacts cooks, progress will not happen.

As for cooks being KCBS members, I think they should be required to be in order to cook a KCBS contest.

The Board should consist of all groups of the membership but I believe that KCBS revolves around the Cook as without them there are no contests, thus no KCBS. That does not mean Organizers, Reps and Judges are not crucial to the overall success, of course they are. But if BOD and Executive Director decisions continue to be made without consideration as to how it impacts cooks, progress will not happen.

As for cooks being KCBS members, I think they should be required to be in order to cook a KCBS contest.

I agree with this totally.
like with any good successful organization or company it starts with a solid foundation. Without a solid foundation that structure, organization, business or whatever will topple from the top down.
KCBS has to get back to a solid grassroots foundation and that foundation should be us cooks.
Now on that foundation you build upon with solid pillars and structure. Those pillars that hold up the structure should be our Reps and organizers.
Now you have a solid foundation (cooks) and solid pillars to support your structure (reps and organizers). From this point you can start to build a structure that is strong and solid that will last.
But it all has to start with the grassroots and that is a solid foundation (the cooks). without us cooks like Pappy said what are you going to organize, what are you going to rep, what are you going to judge, what are you going to market?

Back