Kamado grills

I would be all over a classic B Vision at $399. Not available at any BJ's or Sams near me though. I would much rather have one of the classics than their new ones with the oven knob style controls but it seems they are discontinued and limited to stock on hand. Much easier to fit a controller. That and the price on the new ones around here is creeping into Kamado Joe and BGE territory.

I would be all over a classic B Vision at $399. Not available at any BJ's or Sams near me though. I would much rather have one of the classics than their new ones with the oven knob style controls but it seems they are discontinued and limited to stock on hand. Much easier to fit a controller. That and the price on the new ones around here is creeping into Kamado Joe and BGE territory.
My buddy is working outside the BJ'S that has it today so he is picking it up for me. The stars are aligned plus it saves me the membership fee. Lol

There is a new model of the Classic B. It has a pull out ash drawer. Old model has the closeout pricing...

Looks like Bj's is a bust . My buddy went in and the girl said the computer was showing 4 in stock. They looked high and low and couldnt find them. I called a few others and they were showing 2 or 3 but couldn't find them either.

Just get a Kamado Joe and be done with it. But once, cry once. If you go hunting for "cheap", that's what you will end up with. You will be back on here asking why you firebox cracked and why your lid is so leaky or you "kamado" won't hold a decent temp.

The Acorn is not even ceramic. You might as well buy a Kettle.

You will get what you pay for.

Same thing happens to people who want a Gator Pit but wont cough up the money so they buy a Old Country Pit and are right back here asking why it's so junky and how to fix all the issues.

Just get a Kamado Joe and be done with it. But once, cry once. If you go hunting for "cheap", that's what you will end up with. You will be back on here asking why you firebox cracked and why your lid is so leaky or you "kamado" won't hold a decent temp.

The Acorn is not even ceramic. You might as well buy a Kettle.

You will get what you pay for.

Same thing happens to people who want a Gator Pit but wont cough up the money so they buy a Old Country Pit and are right back here asking why it's so junky and how to fix all the issues.

I agree. If you're going to dive into the pool, dive as deep as you can. Going cheap and suffering buyers remorse is no way to go.

Acorns are insulated and are more fuel efficient than a Kamado Joe or BGE or Primo. No worries about cracking and needing a replacement bowl/ring.

They can rust after awhile but they are an excellent intro to kamado style cooking.

Use one, learn on one, and when ready for the next step just go ahead and get a Komodo Kamado.

The Kamado gods have beat me down. Spending all afternoon chasing the deals at BJ'S, COSTCO, SAMS CLUB ,even the BBQ GUYS online , I went to Home Depot and got the Vision Pro S which was inline with what I originally wanted until you guys lit a fire under my butt about the deals going on. I was telling the Manager about my quest and she have me 10% off the price which came to 629.00. I didnt even have to show any leg .

Attachments

• 20160428_192848.jpg
    20160428_192848.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 89
The Kamado gods have beat me down. Spending all afternoon chasing the deals at BJ'S, COSTCO, SAMS CLUB ,even the BBQ GUYS online , I went to Home Depot and got the Vision Pro S which was inline with what I originally wanted until you guys lit a fire under my butt about the deals going on. I was telling the Manager about my quest and she have me 10% off the price which came to 629.00. I didnt even have to show any leg .

Congrats! Now head over to the ceramic grill store and spend all the money you saved on an adjustable rig and other goodies.

10% off and didn't show leg? SCOOOOOORE!!!!

Are the ribs done yet?

Congrats! That's exactly my first smoker I got. You'll like it. Let me know if you have any questions for bringing it up and keeping at your desired temps but here's what I do:

After lighting it, I bring it up to temp slowly not to overshoot as is with any kamado. When I reached my desired temp 200,275,350 whatever, I shut one of the bottom dials completely down and bring the other bottom dial to 1. Adjust the top vent to 1 and that's it. It'll rock and roll for hours without having to mess with it.

Acorns are insulated and are more fuel efficient than a Kamado Joe or BGE or Primo. No worries about cracking and needing a replacement bowl/ring.

They can rust after awhile but they are an excellent intro to kamado style cooking.

Use one, learn on one, and when ready for the next step just go ahead and get a Komodo Kamado.

Fuel efficiency has never been a worry of mine. You cook what you cook and use the lump you use. My XL BGE is very fuel efficient.

RUST...............will definitely be a HUGE factor. Why would I buy a cooker that will rust out?

The bands on my BGE might rust out over many years of use........but the ceramics will not.............same for a KJ.

btw I use the Kamado Joe deflector. Works fine on the Vision and it's solid.

fh5NWwHh.png

I hate kamados, I only have 6 of them. Kidding aside, I dont think low and slow is all that better compared to my WSM, I would say the WSM has it beat often. But they are great grills, and decent smokers.

KJ's bands are powder coated. Mine has never shown any sign of rust or issue and I have had it since they first came out. I did replace the original bamboo shelves with the poly ones though, got tired of refinishing the wood.

Whats wrong withe the one Vision sells

I bought the KJ stones because they were 1" larger in diameter (14" vs 13" iirc). Plus the Vision lava stone is porous which I didn't want compared to KJ' stones having a smooth surface.

A lot of people are happy with Vision stone but those were my reasons. Here's a great thread discussing a few deflector options for the Vision.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133568

• Thanks
Reactions: ejk
Fuel efficiency has never been a worry of mine. You cook what you cook and use the lump you use. My XL BGE is very fuel efficient.

RUST...............will definitely be a HUGE factor. Why would I buy a cooker that will rust out?

The bands on my BGE might rust out over many years of use........but the ceramics will not.............same for a KJ.

I only mention fuel efficiency to compare an Akorn to a regular Weber kettle.

Fuel efficiency illustrates how the insulation (or mass in the case of ceramic kamados) helps kamados perform well in all weather conditions unlike a regular Weber kettle.

Only a few areas of an Akorn seem to be more prone to developing some rust. Otherwise they are just as durable as Weber kettles.

Back