Kamado grills

I can pull 20 hours on my small egg... How were you getting only 8 on your medium? My xl can run for 30+ on a load at 250.

:shocked: what are you cooking for 30 hours?!?! I tend to cook around the 275 range and my longest cook was 12 hours. Added fuel at 10 when the temp started to dip.

Keep this in mind if you go BGE, get the KJ deflector. Or as they call it, plate setter. The pizza stone style of the KJ lends for better indirect cooking without hot zones that you get with the BGE. I benchmarked mine when I first got it, and held 200 degrees for well over 24 hours with a full packed cooker. I have not checked pricing lately, so I may be wrong. The KJ comes fully assembled with the cart.

The downside of ceramic cookers is you pay twice the price per sq inch of cook space. The upside being there isn't much that can impact these things once you dial them in, weather wise, they could care less if it is snowing outside. They are truly a weatherproof, do it all cooker for any season. Not much at all to break or replace, other than a gasket from time to time. I plan to get a Joe Jr if that's what they call them to use on my deck for dinner cooks.

I picked up a Primo XL a few weeks ago and I've been using it a lot. I like the oval shape of the Primo with the ability to do split firebox and split height grill. With a split firebox and a diverter plate on the non heated side, reverse searing steaks, pork loins and burgers was super easy with fantastic results. Smoking results have been good enough that I put away my Weber WSM into storage. I was concerned about the cost of lump compared to regular charcoal, but it's so much more efficient that I use less money in lump than I would in regular briquettes on a traditional grill. If I could only have one grill/cooker, I would have to chose the Primo. It can do anything I've given it so far and temperature is fantastically easy with the Guru. There are certainly more cost effective kamado cookers available, but the split grill and not messing with hot plates and grills in the middle of a cook were worth it for me. The new Weber Summit Charcoal might also be an option, especially if you are concerned about the weight fragility of a traditional kamado.

I love my KJ Classic. I did an overnight cook at -22C this winter with no problems at all. I was more concerned about the batteries in my Maverick crapping out. It is heavy but I have no plans to move it around. It stays outside my garage door year round. The warranty service is great. I had one small issue and a replacement part was at my door within a week. I am only cooking for the wife and I so the Classic size suits us perfectly.

I have a kamado Joe and love it. If you keep your eyes peeled you can get them for a great price too. Saw the Kamado Joe Classic fully loaded at my local BBQ specialty store last summer for $699 and the same package deal at Costco during 3 day event for $849!

Wow, that is $300 less than what I was quoted. I need to look around for other dealers.

I have a large BGE and absolutely love it Does not matter what the weather is it holds its own Very versatile- low and slow, hot and fast, searing meat and as a vessel to cold smoke Very fuel efficient

If you're able to swing the prices for a BGE or a Primo, go for it. Another option to consider is the Char-Griller Akorn. They are a fraction of the cost of the ceramic kamados. The Akorn isn't ceramic, but it is insulated. It cooks the same way as the expensive kamados. I've produced some really good bbq on them and burgers/steaks. I think for the price it's an option to consider or look into - $299.

I would also look into the new Weber Summit Charcoal grill as the reports coming back are that it is a metal kamado.

"Just do it". You won't regret it. I love the versatility. As others have mentioned, you can use it to sear a steak at 650, cook slow at low for HOURS at 225, or make pizza your friends and family with rave about.

I cook on mine EASILY 3-4 times / week.

Thanks for th info. I have to make up my mind. Price is a factor so I need to decide between the KJ and Vision grill

Got a big joe and joe jr. Also a KJ rep told me they don't care where/how you got their cooker. You only need to take a picture of whatever issue you are having as proof and they'll replace/fix it. I was told this after I tossed the jr's manual before registering it.

Have a Primo XL. I use a PartyQ to lock temp in but it isn't a necessity. Food is moist even with long cooks. One does NOT have to use lump but charcoal fillers simply mean ordinary briquets will leave more residue to clean out. I don't think ceramics result in as nice a bark as a stick burner. I don't use mine as a grill - I have a gasser for grilling. I tried my pizza stone in it but put the stone back in my oven because it is WAY more convenient inside. You won't be unhappy with any ceramic but I think those here who've mastered a stick burner probably make better Q.

If there is a KJ roadshow at Costco near my house next month, I will be the owner of one. Had Weber announced the Summit a week earlier, I would have already had a KJ.

I bought a Vision at Sam's last week for $399 because it had a small chip on the back. I'm impressed with the fuel efficiency. Still learning it's ins and outs, not sure if it will actually replace any of my other equipment or not.

Whatever size you are thinking, go one bigger.

I have the Big Joe and love it. The split grates and deflector is huge - my parents have a BGE and are really disappointed that theirs does not have the same.

I found it at Fireside Grill for $1300 a year ago but they are now at $1600. As others have mentioned the Costco Roadshow is probably the best way to find good pricing.

Depending on your state's sales tax, might be worth buying out of state.

I owned a large Grill Dome and now I have a Big Joe. I would never buy a large again. I think cause I was use to the 22.5 kettle and I went to the 18 inch ceramic, just never liked the size. I do like the divide and conquer with the Big Joe.

I like my kamado a lot but if I could do it all over I would have bought a cabinet smoker and just used my kettle for all my grilling and some smoking. I use my offset when I have time to tend the fire.

I did have someone interested in buying my kamado but at the same time I would hate to regret selling it. I do love it in the winter.

I know I am in the minority here but why not go with a Broil King Keg? It's $899 and it comes with a cast iron grate, a secondary upper grate to expand cooking surface, side shelves and stand with 2 easy roll wheels. It has easy ash removal and can do 50 hours on one load of lump. It by far is the most fuel efficient kamado on the planet. I own 3 of them and love them! The coolest thing about it is that you can take it with you camping or tailgating. You take it off of its stand and hook it up to your receiver on your truck or car and off you go!

81007.jpg

Back