Jambalaya

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
What sort of madman makes Jambalaya for St. Patrick's Day? :crazy: Perhaps the inspiration came from the guy ahead of me yesterday in the Market Basket checkout buying 12 bags of frozen okra, I don't know. I did pick up a corned beef brisket, carrots and cabbage but somehow Jambalaya won out. I'll save the brisket for another day, probably turning it into pastrami.

Purists: this is not authentic. Let's get that out of the way. I've never made Jambalaya before so here goes. Fact: I've never even eaten Jambalaya but some of the fun in cooking is trying new things. I'm always up for a challenge. :wink:

Ingredients: Chicken thighs, Kielbasa (I know, it's not Andouille), red bell pepper (not green), onion, celery, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, rice. I made up my own Creole seasoning. Shrimp are still in the freezer -

PPWzPPu.jpg

Browning the thighs. I'm not sure why the seasoning clumped up like that after a number of turns, but it didn't really matter -

fksb96W.jpg

Trinity goes in -

H91N8VJ.jpg

Tomatoes and Sausage follow -

DArwz5W.jpg

Rice, chicken stock and the chicken go back in. Covered to simmer for 20-25 minutes. When the rice was near done I added the Shrimp -

YtBWdpf.jpg

yZHmcRX.jpg

I should have removed the chicken from the bones, but this isn't being served to guests. This plated shot will suffice -

snd4J4O.jpg

In a word: Yummy! Pretty good for a first attempt. It needed a bit more heat which Frank's Red Hot took care of. But it was certainly delicious.

Next time maybe I should think about adding Okra (I wasn't getting out of line to get some). And I'd definitely use boneless skinless thighs and perhaps a bit more Cayenne.

There you have it. Somewhat of an odd dinner for St. Patrick's Day but who said I was a traditionalist? :becky:

Thanks for following along on my rookie attempt at Jambalaya!

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks delicious! Never tried to make it myself.

Anything becomes Irish if you wash it down with some Guinness or Irish whiskey!

From someone who was born and raised in Louisiana, there’s no such thing as “authentic” everyone and every part of LA has their “version” of authentic jambalaya. That’ll do just fine. Especially as a first run and you’re happy with it.

Looks good, did I miss the picture of the rue? lol I like to 1/4 my sausages so I can get a little bit of every thing in the spoon for a bite, also more crusty edges . fell in love with it first time I had it, been making it well over 20 years now. always good no matter the day

Looks good, did I miss the picture of the rue? lol I like to 1/4 my sausages so I can get a little bit of every thing in the spoon for a bite, also more crusty edges . fell in love with it first time I had it, been making it well over 20 years now. always good no matter the day

School me, Mike. Did I miss some traditional step involving a roux? I didn't see any mention of making one in the couple of recipes I looked at.

And I agree with you in that the sausage should have been browned first. I made the mistake of tossing the veggies in when I should have added the kielbasa for browning.

School me, Mike. Did I miss some traditional step involving a roux? I didn't see any mention of making one in the couple of recipes I looked at.

And I agree with you in that the sausage should have been browned first. I made the mistake of tossing the veggies in when I should have added the kielbasa for browning.

Dom, I don't think you missed anything. I've never personally met a jambalaya with a roux. Usually the color comes from the all the fond from browning all the meats. Another great addition that you can really get a great sear on is cubed pork butt. I usually like to do 1/2 chicken thighs and 1/2 pork butt along with andouille.

Also, your version sure looks delicious!

Back