It's Official! Pleasant Hill - April 4-5, 2008!

Here's my 2 cents.
Aimee wasn't going to have a contest next year in Columbia anyways, Pleasant Hill lost their contest. Pleasant Hill and Aimee obviously need each other. I got a nice email from Aimee today about this and the mindset here should only be one thing here. What is going to be the best for the Brain Injury Association. A lot of people depend on this association so they need to go where there is GOOD support. I wish only the best of success in the future for this contest and I will continue to support it as I can. Congratulations Aimee and Pleasant Hill, MO.:wink:

I think communication might be the key here. I heard that BIA was not getting help with the contest. I know that Aimee has worked her butt off to get it going and then keep it going.

My .02 is lets look at who we are trying to help, BIA. If Jeff and Aimee can accomplish the mission of this contest by moving it, I would say all the power to them. I really do not think it was a thieving issue. Just a nice way to keep the event together.

Events are changing, I just heard Marshall will not be doing their event next year. They beleive they can not get enough teams, to many other events going on. BCNB was a one time deal. New events are pooping up all the time. I hate to be the first one to say it (even though I know I am not the first) we are being saturated with events. The more the events, the less teams at each event.

I say good luck to all and lets just get along,

This shouldn't be about where the contest is held, it should be about helping out a good cause and raising money for it. As best I can tell from all this is that this is Aimee's contest. She decided she could do better in P. Hill and Jeff was trying to put something together. It worked out for both. I don't know many of you that well. But I know Jeff and I don't think he was out to STEAL the contest away from the Columbia area. He was going to put one anyway. I'm a little disappointed that there are some on this site that are upset over something they have no control over. Just come out and support a good cause.

If this is what it's going to be like, the farkin Brethren banner will stay at home this weekend and beyond. I ain't flyin' it.

The Brethren, as a whole have nothing to do with local contests, except support them thru our attendance. Unless a contest is sponsored or promoted by us, it is the responsibility of its organizers and promoters.

As in any open forum, statements made by members are not official policy or representative of the group as a whole.

That being said, to hold the privledge of flying our colors over our heads is wrong.

Since the banner is not yet paid for, put it in a tube, and send it back to me, in respectable condition.

Regarding this contest.

Keep it factual.
Keep it positive.
Support the contest.
Keep it on the topic of organization, attendance, etc..

Stop the accusations and mudslinging.

If you have a desire to slug it out, take it offline.

I second that emotion!

MOD NOTE:

Phil does not have any involvement in the BIA contest, this is a Missouri contest, he's in Long Island....and has asked that I step in

How do you moderate someone's opinion? I don't see that you can. That is why I choose to let the current comments stay as they are. If flaming does start up, this thread will be gone for good.

The announcement of this contest being moved could have been handled a different way at a different time. Too many have read the original thread to take down because of a couple of comments. Editing would serve no purpose. Some comments are being addressed on a personal basis, but they are being addressed.

We've had opinions before and it hasn't escallated to a chit storm No need for a "he said, she said" senerio. Let's just let this get back on the topic of support of the Brian Injury Assn and their contest....no matter where it is held, it is a good cause.

Thanks, and let's all get along....

Hi Everyone!

This is Aimee with The Brain Injury Association of Missouri. I wanted to take a minute and say that I am proud to be a part of the Brethren. I have been reading some of the comments and WOW! We have a lot of opinions out there all of which I respect. I did just want to clarify a few things. 1. I was not going to have a competition in 2008 (this is true). It is a tremendous amount of work and any of you who have organize a competition knows this. I spend at a minimum 8 months preparing for this competition. Not only do I have the competition in place but I have added a country music band, two live remote broadcasts from local radio stations, an auction and vendors to serve food to the public. It's a lot of work. I volunteer for this and I have a family also. My husband and son are very supportive of me and they have to put up with me during the preperation of this event. (HOO RAH) I have an obligation to the teams and The Brain Injury Association both. Please be aware I could not do any of this without the support of the teams and Jamey Johnson (I will get to Jamey further down)

2. We are the Brain Injury Association of Missouri we encompass the entire state and we help survivors throughout the state of Missouri. The Brain Injury Association of Missouri is a chapter of The Brain Injury Association of America. When I was appointed to the Board of Directors 5 years ago I took a personal vow to reach as many survivors who have sustain a brain injury and brain defects throughout the state of Missouri that I possibly could. I feel a personal need to do so, and hope that all of you can respect this. As chair of the Development Commity I feel it is my responsibility to spread awarness, educate the public, and help prevent head injuries throughout our entire state. Thus, I will continue and work hard to reach our survivors because they all need our help and support.

3. Speaking of support I have personally, among others, have been working hard to raise money for this event. It is a very difficult thing to do. Local businesses in this area are very reluctant in donating hard earned money to help sponsor an event regardless of what the event is, and regardless of the amazing amount of advertising they receive. I realize that these businesses work hard for every penny earn and I respect that. However, I need the support of the local businesses to ensure success. I feel that by pulling from businesses in the Kansas City Metro Area we will not only raise money for the event but contribute to the purse which will benefit the teams as well which happens to be a priority of mine.

4. We also need the support of the public, you and I know full well when trying to raise money, awareness and prevention as well as education it is important to have the local community/public attend the event. I take full responsibility in the lack of public support/participation due to the time of the event and the locations. These items were my choice and could have been done them differently.

I want everyone to know, especially the 5 teams that started with us when we weren't sanctioned....that I appreciate your support, I am passionate about this competition and the work we all do for The Brain Injury Association. I realize I cannot do this without you. I respect the fact that you put amazing amount of time into these competitions and an overabundant amount of money. Without you I cannot continue to do what I do. I have told all of you this and I will tell you again I appreciate your support and I hope that you will continue to support what we are doing. Each and everyone of you means more to me than you will ever know. You have jumped in with two feet and helped support this organization which is one of the most important things in my life. I want you to know that I owe all of you a huge THANK YOU and you will always have my gratitude.

When I started this event I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. To be honest I thought "how hard could a BBQ Competition be?" Well needless to say I had a rude awakening. Jamey Johnson called me and asked me if there was anything I needed, he would be happy to help. From that day forward Jamey and I have been a team. It isn't Aimee's Competition it is Jamey and Aimee's Competition to help support BIA of Missouri. I have learned everything I know about a BBQ Competition from Jamey and the feedback from the teams. Jamey is an amazing person and one of my very BEST FRIENDS. I do not want to continue if I can't do it with Jamey. He is partly responsible for the drive and passion I have in doing this event. If any of you see Jamey please thank him, because without him none of you would have returned to our competition as I knew nothing when I started. Not only that but you guys need to know that each of you deserve a pat on the back for supporting us, again without you this wouldn't be possible. I am greatful for each and everyone of you.

I want to make this competition the best competition anyone has ever been to and I want the Brain Injury Association to continue to reach out to all of the survivors we have in this state. I cannot do this without you...I need each and everyone of you to continue with your support.

In order to personally improve this competition I have been to many area competitions and talked to the teams to get feedback. I have sent out forms after our competition asking the teams to tell us what we could do to improve. I have taken the CBJ class to educate myself further with regard to BBQ. And now I have become a part of the Brethren. I will continue to do everything I can to educate myself to ensure the best BBQ Competition. I truly hold all of the teams in high regard when it comes to BBQ, I personally want to understand more about BBQ and what it takes to compete in order to have a successful event.

I realize that I cannot make everyone happy, but I am trying to do what is best for the teams and this association. I hope after reading this you will all understand. Again I appreciate all of the comments, it is important for me to get feedback with regard to this competition and the decisions I have made. Please understand that this decision was mine solely and I will respect what each of you has to say. I also want all of you to know that this was not in any way an easy desicion to make. With that said, I want to maintain the integrity of this competition as well as the integrity of The Brain Injury Association.

I apologize to any of you who feel I have taken something away from the Columbia area, I apologize to the 5 teams who supported us from the very beginning. I did not in any way want to make anyone of you feel that I was slighting you or that I didn't appreciate what you have done and what you stand for. I only want what is best for EVERYONE!!!!! I really feel that by moving this competition it will be in the best interest of everyone.

To ensure that all of the teams are satisfied with this competition if any of you feel slighted and would like to have their entry fee returned to you I will be more than happy to reimburse your entry fee. Again it is imperative to me that each team is comfortable with this competition and that we all have fun at this competition and do what is right by supporting The Brain Injury Association. I look forward to many successful years with each of you. Thank you for all that you do.

Aimee Olmstead
Brain Injury Associaition Of Missouri

Aimee,

Unfortunately you are a bit far for me to attend your event, but I wanted to commend you for your hard work and laudable goals. Raising money and awareness for a great cause through a BBQ event is a fantastic goal and I wish you well.

Eric

Ok, now that we have all met Aimee, you can see how passionate she is about this cause. And as you can see... don't get her started. :eusa_clap
I'm as disappointed to see the contest leave as anyone, but if it's what's needed to increase the growth of the contest and get more exposure for the BIA, so be it. Hell, I was 5 minutes from home.
So, let's all get together and help her promote this and see if we can continue to make it bigger and better. The bottom line is to have a good contest for the cookers, and raise some much needed funds for the BIA.

By the way Aimee, now that you are amongst us, go to the cattle call and introduce yourself.

I think the Pickled Pigs should be able to make it. I will run it by the rest of the team. It is a good cause and I am happy we can support it.

Thanks Jamey....I can always count on you to be a smart _ _ _! Ha! Ha!

I think the Pickled Pigs should be able to make it. I will run it by the rest of the team. It is a good cause and I am happy we can support it.

Please put the MoKan Meatheads next to Pickled Pig!

2:00AM stereo mod!!:twisted::twisted:

I am sure everybody wishes nothing but the best for her and the cause! It is hard to find people who are that dedicated to a cause.

Cheers!

Jeff I am in for this since it is in the early part of the year. Thats what I am talking about. Scotty D and Parrothead Smokers are in if you will have us in PLeasant dale. As us south dakota teams try to stick together.

Dodge County will be there!!

Gotta trade some beer for Jack links again!!

HA HA Scotty!

Jeff I am in for this since it is in the early part of the year. Thats what I am talking about. Scotty D and Parrothead Smokers are in if you will have us in PLeasant dale. As us south dakota teams try to stick together.

Cool news, Scotty! Look forward to having y'all here! Just PLEASE... no "modeling" during awards, man! :shock: I am having trouble sleeping since Atchison. :eek:

Chris, glad to have y'all as well. There are close to 25 "verbals" on this contest already. Shooting for 50 or better teams. If we top 50 teams, we should have a great payout as all entry fees go to the purse for awards payout.

Jeff and Aimee I look forward to volunteering to help you make this a great competition. I will also work to get other volunteers from the community.

I am sure this decision was not easy to make and know that after the shock the brethren will back this worth while event.

I second what Jamey said unless you feel the need to donate a substantial amount of money to The Brain Injury Association and then I may have to have Jamey give you all a hug! I am the most senior with BIA so I would have to elect Jamey to be in charge of the hug giving! While I am deligating.... Hey that's an idea....we will have a hugging booth, Jay can take the money and Jamey can give the hugs....what do you think brothers (good plan huh).

I have other things that will be keeping me busy far to many things to list on this site. Although I do feel that our wonderful Moderator (Kick) should also moderate the hugging booth. Don't want anyone to feel left out!

Uh oh, Aimee's in the house. Didn't take her long to figure this group out. We are all in trouble. :icon_smil

Please put the MoKan Meatheads next to Pickled Pig!

2:00AM stereo mod!!:twisted::twisted:

The Pigs will be there for certain. But the MoKan will need to improve upon their dice skills if they want to hang with us big dogs.:razz: And Jeff, for everyone's sake it's best to have a bit of separation between us and anyone who cares about quiet time.

The Pigs will be there for certain. But the MoKan will need to improve upon their dice skills if they want to hang with us big dogs.:razz: And Jeff, for everyone's sake it's best to have a bit of separation between us and anyone who cares about quiet time.

What if it's the organizer that cares about quiet time? :wink:

Back