Is this appropriate from a rep?

I don't think there was anything fishy going on or anything like that. I just think the topic of conversation was a poor choice. I'm going to drop this. Just wanted to do a sanity check.

Thanks all.

He is a friendly rep and was probably just kidding around. I doubt he even knows who the judges are on Friday night. Probably not the best topic, but nothing nefarious. Now if this happened on Saturday morning at 10:30, that would change everything.

In my opinion, any such observation should take place at the cooks meeting where everyone can hear it. If a Rep delivered his opinion to a subset of the teams at a contest, there could be a question as to how such advice may have influenced the outcome.

If everybody hears the same thing, then it's less of a problem, though I think most would agree it isn't wise for a Rep to give cooking advice just prior to an event he is Repping.

Agreed. It was probably a harmless offer of advice, but what if all teams didn't get the same advice? Then you're into the question of how that skewed the judging...

It was strange, for sure. However, as a guy with only a few comps under my belt, it'd be awesome if someone would come by before each time I competed and told me - only me - what kind of tastes the judges liked ;)

not appropriate! aside from that i dont't think it is really possible to back off of any one thing without changing the balance of the whole flavor profile, requiring everything to be changed accordingly... but, maybe he was just trying to help.

Back