THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, good bbq is expensive, but so is lousy bbq...I've had some very mediocre brisket in Texas, so it's a crap shoot if you get what you might consider your moneys worth.

Local place here just opened, tried the ribs, edible but not worth the cost, I doubt he's gonna last..

normal people are holding back spending money, everything is going through the roof, I bought 2 bagels and 2 coffes a few weeks ago, 12 bucks, thats ridiculous. cheaper now to stop at mcdonalds...

I understand restaurants have it tough, always been that way, but I don't have to pay their inflated prices just so they stay in business.

Not around where I live. And, it is a total crapshoot that you get what you ordered if you aren't willing to go back and complain with the manager and have your receipt!

I don't know if BBQ places are at any special risk but 80% of new restaurants fail within their first 5 years. It isn't just meat prices which have gone out of sight. That being said, everyone believes they can cook BBQ and wanting a piece of that action has indeed spawned a bubble here in Texas. Just a few miles South in Jacksonville TX we lost a fledgling BBQ place, Big Franks, who served at my birthday last month only to announce his closing up shop a few weeks later.

We were approached by a event/venue owner a few weeks ago to be his full time caterer or doing catering. He does 90 events a year and uses Hard8 for people that need help with food. Hard8 is a major bbq joint around here and we killed that place with our backyard family style bbq.

How does Dickies stay open? They get pre-made briskets to warm up. Hell they don’t even own a smoker

:doh::roll:

Last edited:
We are thinking about catering for him.

He’s a super nice guy and his venue is one of those…. million plus!!!

Maybe these restaurant guys using electric smokers have been out classed by the backyard wood burners :bow:

We have known our stuff is decent but having a venue owner say our food was the best he has had to date made us feel good for sure.

Last edited:
This!

"The harder truth to swallow is that we simply have too many great options in Texas and across the country."

Yep. 30 years ago there was 1 bbq joint in Cincinnati and it was not very good. Now there must be 30 or 40 of them. Only a few are decent and only a couple I would consider really good.

Back