Barbecue: Old ways, modern technology

LarsonBBQ.jpg

Go authentic....

Southern-Style Pork Barbecue
From Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

Scroll down to see more pork recipes.
Prep Time :
Cook Time :
Type of Prep : Barbecue, Crock Pot
Cuisine : Southern, U.S. Regional
Occasion : Family Dinner, Potluck

INGREDIENTS:

4 to 5 pound pork shoulder (butt) roast
2 large onions, sliced
4 to 6 whole cloves
2 cups water
1 bottle (16 oz) barbecue sauce, your choice
1 large onion, chopped, about 1 cup
large split buns, toasted or warmed
PREPARATION:

Place half the sliced onion in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add pork roastt, cloves, and water. Add the remaining sliced onion. Cover and cook 8 to 12 hours on LOW. Remove bone and fat from meat. Discard onions, cloves and water. Shred the meat and put it back in the pot. Add chopped onion and the barbecue sauce. Cook another 2 1/2 to 4 hours on LOW, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
Serve on large split buns.
Makes about 12 to 16 servings.

I'm pretty sure that you got the right one. You do plug it in, right?

That recipe left out the part about slathering the buns w/ mayo. Right, Richard?

backyardchef said:
Sous vide it is, but that aint bbq........Maybe a convection fan, ultra-moist cabinet w/ wood smoke is 'que...maybe....but cooked in a bag aint it....

Oh no, no, no... the Sous Vide technique or the hot tub thing on a steak is NOT barbecue. I wasn't implying that. The hot tub method just replaces the hour or two at room temperature and actually gets the meat to a higher temperature before it hits the coals. Since you don't typically barbecue a steak, it's really just a different way to approach grilling.

thirdeye-- I was referring to this:

Originally Posted by BrooklynQ

Among the delights: pork ribs marinated in a mix of apple cider, mustard powder and other aromatics, cooked for an eternity in a sealed plastic bag submerged in a water bath and finished on one of the three fig- wood-fueled, Japanese-made Komodo smokers installed on a concrete pad behind the restaurant.

Back