Is it too late for Harvest Brine?

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
I got tied up with work & forgot to use the Naturiffic Harvest brine I bought last month, is too late to apply it or waste of time with only one day left before Thanksgiving?

This is the exact instructions.

Use 1 teaspoon per pound of meat(2Tbs per 6lbs). Distribute evenly on meat, wrap tightly and place in fridge for 2-3 hours per pound (up to 3 days).

If you brine it right now I think you will be fine. Even if it's not the required amount of time it will still be better than not brining at all. I've brined turkeys in less time required and they were very good. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

I typically prep my Thanksgiving bird Monday evening. I agree with above it's still going to do its thing

No harm in trying. I agree with reaching out to John. He is good at getting back to you. Let us know how things turn out

GO!!!!

Well, what are you waiting on?

Like Steve I started mine Monday afternoon, this afternoon I’ll unwrap and leave open in the fridge till ill goes on the cooker tomorrow.

Are ya done yet?

The Big Easy Turkey came out fantastic, unfortunately thanks to my charcoal selection I did not like the turkey off of the smoker. Tasted (to me) dirty smoked & on the verge of being over salted. It’s amazing how two birds prepped identically ended up so different, I learned some lessons & at the end of the day that’s all that matters.

Next years plan is to add Harvest Brine on Monday so I have plenty of time to let it work its magic & use the stick burner.

Glad The Big Easy Turkey turned out well. You have to be careful when smoking a Turkey. It takes on smoke quickly and can become bitter.

Glad The Big Easy Turkey turned out well. You have to be careful when smoking a Turkey. It takes on smoke quickly and can become bitter.

Unfortunately it wasn’t a matter of technique, too much smoke, etc, it was a product of a charcoal taste that I didn’t personally like. I’ve long ago determined that if I don’t like what I smell for smoke coming off the smoker I won’t like the finished product. Unfortunately I waited until Thanksgiving eve to test the new charcoal I bought, once I smelled it I new I wouldn’t like a bird smoked on it but being so late I had to “run what I brung” so used that same brand of charcoal the next morning when I had to get the bird up & running.

Lesson learned, if I don’t like the smell of what’s burning in the pit I will dump it out & start fresh with a different fire.

Unfortunately it wasn’t a matter of technique, too much smoke, etc, it was a product of a charcoal taste that I didn’t personally like. I’ve long ago determined that if I don’t like what I smell for smoke coming off the smoker I won’t like the finished product. Unfortunately I waited until Thanksgiving eve to test the new charcoal I bought, once I smelled it I new I wouldn’t like a bird smoked on it but being so late I had to “run what I brung” so used that same brand of charcoal the next morning when I had to get the bird up & running.

Lesson learned, if I don’t like the smell of what’s burning in the pit I will dump it out & start fresh with a different fire.

I had a few bags of Kingsford do that to me in the last couple years so I started trying different brands. I switched to Jealous Devil because my local Home Depot now has it. I’m on my third bag of Jealous Devil Max Briquettes and it has clean smoke, no off taste, and burns a long time.

Last edited:
Back