Is it a sin to cook a pork butt in the oven?

Another PA dutch guy here....in the oven with a quart or two of sauerkraut is a classic dish. Side of mashed potatoes is required!

I like it just like that too, but I also like about 2-1/2 hours of smoking ribs, then adding them and sauerkraut, sausages, etc. and finishing in the oven. That kiss of smoke is great.

dF08c.jpg

Or using double smoked hocks with sauerkraut.

ix98c.jpg

Another dish I make with a roaster oven is braised pork butt in broth and dry Italian dressing mix, adding some pepperoncini and the juice toward the end.

HDmgYV6.jpg

It will be fine, sometimes it isn’t worth freezing your butt off to “be authentic”! If you want “smoke” flavor out of the oven, use liquid smoke in the meat pan. I have fooled a lot of self anointed bbq snobs who raved about “smoked” pork that never saw the inside of a smoker. I have found filling a large brownie pan with boiling water (very important to bring it to a boil before dumping in pan) on the rack below the pork pan will compensate for the very dry heat an oven produces.

I do this for my father since he doesn't really appreciate BBQ all that much. SPG for seasoning, roasting pan, roasting rack to keep it out of its own juices, add water or chicken stock to pan, oven at 225, throw it in before leaving for work early am, let it ride uncovered until i get home(8-9) hours, forms a nice "bark" (for the oven at least), cover for the remainder until it pulls tender, "bark" stays intact, plenty of drippings to either mix right into the pulled meat or to make a gravy..... good stuff, but not as good as rollin' smoke.

it is a bit more of a PITA but you could confit it in a crock pot in a crapload of lard, then once tender you break it into chunks and put it under the broiler for a few min to get a nice little crispy bites, great in Tacos.

Roast Pork, especially skin on has a unique succulent and savory flavor and aroma that are entirely different than smoked pork, but awesome in their own way. Here is a recipe I've made several times from Serious Eats.

Basically an oven reverse sear. Season up your butts or picnics, throw then in a sheet tray or hotel pan on top of a rack at 250 degrees for about eight hours, then crisp up the skin at 500 degrees.

I throw them in the oven overnight, and when we wake up in the morning the whole house smells like Pig!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-ultra-crisp-skinned-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder.html

All I know is Sharon cooks pork roast and sour kraut in the crock pot and it’s amazing.... put it on before church and come home to an amazing aroma in our house.... I always say this.... if your paying the light bill... cook how ya want it pretty much comes down to if you and yours like it.... that’s all that matters ... I boil Turkey necks all the time....

Is it a sin?? Google Bible clears this right up. Nope, enjoy your food

Last edited:
All I know is Sharon cooks pork roast and sour kraut in the crock pot and it’s amazing.... put it on before church and come home to an amazing aroma in our house.... I always say this.... if your paying the light bill... cook how ya want it pretty much comes down to if you and yours like it.... that’s all that matters ... I boil Turkey necks all the time....

I’ve done this with chuck and 7 bone roasts. It is indeed amazing how grand the aroma

One of my favorite food memories is roast pork, dumplings and sauerkraut at my grandmother's house. It can be very good.

It won't be smoked. If you can, start it in the smoker and smoke as long as you can before finishing in the oven. I've done that when I get tired of stoking more charcoal.

Just don't drown ribs with BBQ sauce in a crock pot and call them BBQ ribs. :doh::twitch:

Carnitas for the win! Holy crap-I took a particular bite that was as good as any smoked butt I've ever tasted. I found a recipe online and did it in the crockpot. Then I broiled it and at last I cooked it in a skillet. I will be doing that again. Thanks for the advice.

Back