Is it a sin to cook a pork butt in the oven?

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Please forgive me brethern for I am about to sin by cooking a pork butt in the oven. Have any of you ever done this? If so, does it come out like smoked pork butt at all? I've done them in the crock pot but wanted to "simulate" smoking one in the oven hoping to get a better crust. Any tips?

I have cooked plenty of butts in the oven. IMO it's best to seal the pan with foil and cooked at 300 until pull apart tender. 5 to 7+ hours depending on the size of the butt. if your looking for bark better to cook it outside on the smoker. You can try browning under the broiler once it's done and the foil is off however it wont be the same, delicious but not the same.

Yes Sir Bill!

It rains here a lot so many times you make it in the oven. It's tasty but a different flavor.

It will be edible. Wont be smokey like we usually expect a butt to be but sometimes life doesn't allow it. Bake on.

Amen on the above.

You work with what you have and the environment.

As long as you know it's just not going to taste the same, it's all good. Expectation Management, right?

Once you get the smoke and such in/on it up to somewhere North of 140-160*F internal temp... it's all heat, and I'm happy to put it in the oven in a foiled pan to catch all the drippin's possible.

Smoker for a few hours first, then oven to finish is my new go-to method. Oven start to finish will still be good...come on, it’s pork!

I've done a lot of that on my WSM. Cook high heat, 325 * or thereabouts, till the butts get to 160* IT, then wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

Makes for a good quick cook.

There’s plenty of uses for a pork butt in the oven, especially international recipes. There’s a Mexican dish that uses a whole pork but with a pasilla pepper slather that is :thumb: carnitas, etc. I’ve salted and herbed them and roasted. All sorts of good ways to use em. I’m not sure I’d try to recreate “barbecue” but it’s one of the most versatile cuts IMO.

I like it just fine out the oven, not the same but it's good. Raised steers and hogs on my grandparents farm... Pennsylvania Dutch folks. Grandmother did shoulders in the oven all the time. In fact, she'd roast one with a beef chuck roast together. Fantastic! And the gravy... OMG!

I like it just fine out the oven, not the same but it's good. Raised steers and hogs on my grandparents farm... Pennsylvania Dutch folks. Grandmother did shoulders in the oven all the time. In fact, she'd roast one with a beef chuck roast together. Fantastic! And the gravy... OMG!

Hey I come from the Amish myself! Well, my parents did anyway. My mom made killer beef roasts in the oven and that is my favorite meal to this day. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to go the carnitas route. I almost always finish my Q in the oven but I've never done a butt start to finish.

Roast pork is delicious. Salt and pepper only, and put an inch or so of water in your pan. It won't hurt it at all to get well done.. I highly recommend Pioneer Pork Gravy Mix in with the juices.
Fantastic way to do a pork loin as well.

Used to be that boiling ribs was the only sin, but now everyone seems to be doing Sous Vide (which is French for boiling ribs).

sKrGy2z.jpg

In the oven??? Yes, it will come out fine. I just made an Italian pork butt that has Porchetta seasonings slathered on and into slits, then has a light coat of Dijon mustard. The slather includes fennel, sage, rosemary, red pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and olive oil. It marinates for a day before cooking, and I did put it on the BGE for 90 minutes mostly for color, no added flavor wood or anything. Then into a Magnalite with a pork broth/orange juice cooking liquid.

Of course I didn't serve it with mac-n-cheese or pintos.... It goes well with a side of spaghetti or rigatoni with clam sauce, and makes an amazing sandwich with grilled peppers. With all the herbs, the bark has a green look to it. :biggrin1:

bLg6uVM.jpg

M3nAALG.jpg

Having lived in South Florida for awhile I fell in love with many Cuban recipes, including pork shoulder that wasn't smoked. Look for a good mojo (mo-ho) to baste in.

Used to be that boiling ribs was the only sin, but now everyone seems to be doing Sous Vide (which is French for boiling ribs).

id call it a fancy simmer cuz u really can get some nice (and different) flavors depending on wat u seal stuff with

i agree w/ ur point tho, of course

Back