THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last smitty posted was that Academy had ordered more. Them taking it off the website is a common occurrence. They'll put them back when they receive more...iirc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The last smitty posted was that Academy had ordered more. Them taking it off the website is a common occurrence. They'll put them back when they receive more...iirc.

That’s what I kind of figured. But thought it would also be kind of odd of Academy to pull it if they were getting some more in the late May/June timeframe.

Smitty, Have you been given any updates? It appears that Academy has completely pulled it from their website. Hope that isn’t a bad omen.

Academy always takes stuff off the Website when Online Inventory is Zero - don't know why they can't just put "Out of Stock"- all the Old Country smokers come and go on Website. Sometime in June Stores and Online should be getting New stock - don't know if first part of June mid June or end of June - supposed to be in June.........

Academy always takes stuff off the Website when Online Inventory is Zero - don't know why they can't just put "Out of Stock"- all the Old Country smokers come and go on Website. Sometime in June Stores and Online should be getting New stock - don't know if first part of June mid June or end of June - supposed to be in June.........

Didn’t realize that and never heard of other stores doing so. Must be out of touch with current retail world.

Smitty:

Do you know if Academy is going to be the only supplier for Old Country for the foreseeable future? I only ask because the shipping is a couple hundred out here to CA.:sad:

I get it, as it is a bit of weight to be hauling around. CA just doesn't have the cool suppliers like the other regions of the country. At least it seems that way. Would love it if there were places to go check out pits before making the purchase. I guess that's why I depend so much on the great folks at this site.:thumb:

Smitty:

Do you know if Academy is going to be the only supplier for Old Country for the foreseeable future? I only ask because the shipping is a couple hundred out here to CA.:sad:

I get it, as it is a bit of weight to be hauling around. CA just doesn't have the cool suppliers like the other regions of the country. At least it seems that way. Would love it if there were places to go check out pits before making the purchase. I guess that's why I depend so much on the great folks at this site.:thumb:

Only Bucees Travel Centers and Academy. Don’t think Bucees will have the GF - atleast not for a while. Most brands shipping would be $800 to Ca. Academy is like $250 or something and Old Country GF is $1k Cheaper than Next cheapest competitor model and Bigger............So shipped it’s about $1500-$1600 Cheaper than a smaller model competitor.........

Which Temp Control for OC GF?

I too am anxiously waiting for OC GF version 2.0. Dibs on one in S Louisiana! 🤣

Will be my first higher end smoker. I’d really appreciate input on which temp control unit would be best?

Heard these things are built like a tank and hold them well on ball valve?

1. Meater Block—Trendkill uses this one effectively but no blower or temp mgt
2. Fire board w blower—highest rated by many
3. Pitmaster IQ120—used effectively by GF owners
Others?

What’s the best? Is a blower overkill? I’m at a bit of a loss in which direction to go. Thx for feedback.

Only Bucees Travel Centers and Academy. Don’t think Bucees will have the GF - atleast not for a while. Most brands shipping would be $800 to Ca. Academy is like $250 or something and Old Country GF is $1k Cheaper than Next cheapest competitor model and Bigger............So shipped it’s about $1500-$1600 Cheaper than a smaller model competitor.........

Yeah, the $1600 figure is pretty close to what I saw by the time it gets to the house. Certainly more affordable than the alternatives. I was just curious if any other retailers would be picking them up. I appreciate the feedback. Guess the waiting game is on for the new shipments.:wink:

I was under the impression that Academy would not ship to CA.

Maybe they don't...:confused:

The very first time I checked them out, they had a few left on the site. I plugged in my zip code and it sent back a total for purchase, tax, and shipping. It didn't say anything about not shipping to my address.

When they get more, I will check it out a bit more.

I was under the impression that Academy would not ship to CA.

I seen somebody post that but a few years ago - a cpl different Cali guys on here had Pecos and Brazos shipped - so I dunno ?

may have been some dumbass California Law since then ?

something about products have to have some No cancer causing certs or something to ship to California - And California says Everything causes cancer..........CARB compliant or Prop 65

https://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/why-some-products-arent-shipping-to-california

Though manufacturers were given two years to become compliant, there have been some that missed the deadline and continue to fall short. Sadly, retailers has been forced into the unenviable job of being the messenger. We've seen error messages at retail sites like this, "Due to warning requirements imposed in California by Proposition 65, we cannot ship any items to California at this time," on wide variety of products, from tennis shoes to patio furniture. And it's not just unknown or small retailers. QVC, Hayneedle, Academy Sports, Walmart, and even Amazon have had to deliver the bad news.

The thing to remember is that this is not primarily the fault of the retailer. The responsibility of compliance is on the manufacturer. True, the retailer could be more forceful about only selling compliant goods, but supply chains are built over years and contracts have to be honored, so we probably won't see the end of this problem for a year or more, at least.

What to know more about Prop 65? Here are some Useful links

Many manufacturers decided "Fark that" and don't ship/sell to California

Last edited:
may have been some dumbass California Law since then ?

Many manufacturers decided "Fark that" and don't ship/sell to California

True.... We seem to come up with several new dumbass laws on a daily basis. There are a lot of things that don't ship to CA. If it moves, we will tax it or create a law to outlaw it.:doh:

I bout the cover for my offset from academy a few year ago and had it shipped no problem. When I tried to get another a message popped up the can't ship to California currently, I believe it is a newer]dumbass Cali regulation[/B]

I see your part of the Old Country Pits Facebook page also. I’m just patiently waiting for hopefully Wichita or some other Northern Kansas Academy to get them back in stock.

We may have to road trip when back in stock! This unit appears to be a great deal. Also considering a LSG peewee or mini. Still weighing the differences between gravity fed (no water pan) vs IVC (with water pan) and how much hassle/benefit to water pans.

GBR!

We may have to road trip when back in stock! This unit appears to be a great deal. Also considering a LSG peewee or mini. Still weighing the differences between gravity fed (no water pan) vs IVC (with water pan) and how much hassle/benefit to water pans.

GBR!
You don't have to use water in any cooker.

Back