Insulated Firebox on Offset Question

Bigpappa1

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Zachary
Hello All. I’ve had my heart set on a stick burner purchase for later this year. Some of you have helped me figure out how to come down on that. The wait time has given me an opportunity to evaluate how I really smoke now, interruptions from kids/family, errands, etc. Two things have consistently been noticeable as I have made it a point to pay attention. 1) my kids and wife need more attention from me than I previously thought (or wanted to let myself believe). One is a toddler and one is a baby and we are likely to have another baby on the way soon. That situation isn’t going away any time soon. 2) the concern for a kid getting burned on an offset firebox almost seems like a matter of when not if. My whole point of a new smoker is to get into a different kind of smoking than what I do now, ie going from my WSM to stick burning. If I don’t deal with these obstacles, though, I’ll be hanging myself for it. So here is the question...

I know an insulated firebox would take care of the burning issue, or at least mostly. Does an insulated firebox on an offset allow for reasonably efficient charcoal burning in a basket? If I could use it with charcoal on the days when I may need a more set and forget setup, or after the smoke is done and I go to wrap, that could help. I’ve researched some threads here and heard some guys say that offsets just don’t work well with charcoal, they eat through it like mad. That could make cooking even more expensive than it already is. I looked at insulated vertical cabinets, but the only one I saw that really says they can run wood is $3,600. A bit out of my budget of around $2k. I am really after that full wood smoked flavor, but I have to consider those two issues. Unless a vertical insulated cabinet produces a flavor profile much different than my WSM it doesn’t seem like I’m stepping up or doing anything new at all.

Anyone with an opinion or an insulated firebox care to weigh in?

Last edited:
Hello All. I’ve had my heart set on a stick burner purchase for later this year. Some of you have helped me figure out how to come down on that. The wait time has given me an opportunity to evaluate how I really smoke now, interruptions from kids/family, errands, etc. Two things have consistently been noticeable as I have made it a point to pay attention. 1) my kids and wife need more attention from me than I previously thought (or wanted to let myself believe). One is a toddler and one is a baby and we are likely to have another baby on the way soon. That situation isn’t going away any time soon. 2) the concern for a kid getting burned on an offset firebox almost seems like a matter of when not if. My whole point of a new smoker is to get into a different kind of smoking than what I do now, ie going from my WSM to stick burning. If I don’t deal with these obstacles, though, I’ll be hanging myself for it. So here is the question...

I know an insulated firebox would take care of the burning issue, or at least mostly. Does an insulated firebox on an offset allow for reasonably efficient charcoal burning in a basket? If I could use it with charcoal on the days when I may need a more set and forget setup, or after the smoke is done and I go to wrap, that could help. I’ve researched some threads here and heard some guys say that offsets just don’t work well with charcoal, they eat through it like mad. That could make cooking even more expensive than it already is. I looked at insulated vertical cabinets, but the only one I saw that really says they can run wood is $3,600. A bit out of my budget of around $2k. I am really after that full wood smoked flavor, but I have to consider those two issues. Unless a vertical insulated cabinet produces a flavor profile much different than my WSM it doesn’t seem like I’m stepping up or doing anything new at all.

Anyone with an opinion or an insulated firebox care to weigh in?

If time is a important thing to you to where you need to use charcoal in a stick burner on cooks. I would look at how often this would be.. and if it was more than the time you can take feeding a stick burner. I'd just spend the money for a good cabinet. Sure charcoal and be used in offsets.. but as your search told you. its just not very efficient as far as I can tell from reading other stories myself

My experience has shown that using straight charcoal in a stick burner is nothing like charcoal in a cabinet smoker. For me, the main reason is airflow - as in too much. Stick burners typically aren't airtight around the door and the charcoal just rages (at some point). Watch a typical UDS spike when you remove the lid for too long and you get the idea. Once burning, the charcoal really doesn't like to come down in temp unless you can choke off the air supply.

I will say the insulated F/B on my smoker has been well worth the money for many reasons but I never considered using straight charcoal on this one - third time's the charm.

I know nothing about an insulated firebox at all, but I have thought about my daughter getting burned on my WSM. Like you I know the IVC is the 100% answer to this and one day I will get there (LSG large IVC is my dream smoker). What I do know is if I were in your shoes I wouldn't drop the $2k until I made sure I was getting what I wanted. Take your time do your research and find out what you truly want and fits your needs. Rushing can lead to frustration where you are still looking for what you really want. Good Luck!

put a protective fence around it like you would a pool. just around the firebox end as the cook chamber does not get as hot. I was born in 1956 and mama would always say stay away from the stove...hot!
we didn't learn what hot was until we touched it:lol:

If you want to have the option of efficiently running all wood or all charcoal, the M1 might be a good choice for you.

https://mgrills.com/products/2019-m1

I looked at this, actually. There's no perfect solution, though this one sure works hard to strike a good balance. I don't really buy it as a two-rack smoker, though, given that you would have to remove everything on the top rack and remove the racks themselves just to access the lower rack.

Any pit/grill will burn the kids just as bad as a firebox on a stick burner.

The rest of the smoker would still be burning to the touch.

I've thought of this as well. Would that be true as well if it was a 1/4" cooking chamber? I've never had one that thick. I suppose the temp probably just equalizes through the material...I know my WSM is certainly more than warm. It won't burn you on the spot, but if you leave your hand to linger you'll pay for it.

I have an offset with an insulated firebox. The fb door is still going to get really, really hot. Just no way to avoid it. I also have an insulated cabinet. It can get really close to my stick burner flavor. I'd say 80-90% close. It might be the best compromise in your situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have an offset with an insulated firebox. The fb door is still going to get really, really hot. Just no way to avoid it. I also have an insulated cabinet. It can get really close to my stick burner flavor. I'd say 80-90% close. It might be the best compromise in your situation.

Thanks, Pete, that's really helpful insight. I saw some similar threads on here while I was searching. I think I even might have seen you say that same thing. I wondered about the FB door, and I thought the opposite of what you said. Again, really helpful to know. Damn...I was really set on an offset. The more I have paid attention to how I cook and the factors around it I started wondering if my excitement blinded me a bit...

I have a M1 and love it for a grill and true wood burning smoker all in one. However, it gets hot and isnt going to be safe around little kids. Then again, I don’t know of any grill that would be? I got it because I wanted to burn sticks, have it fit on my deck, and also grill (all at top levels). It does what it’s supposed to do very well. I’m not sure I’d buy the lower grate for smoking either...but I’ve never tried it also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charcoal in a stick burner completely defeats the purpose of a stick burner. Also, I had a Johnson Smokers 24x60 offset stick burner and the entire cook chamber was hot to the touch...so yeah, just not good if you're worried about your kids getting out there and touching it.

I'll admit that I was a "stickburner" snob for years, but I finally got burned out on running a stickburner all night long and got myself an insulated cabinet smoker. It took me a few cooks to figure things out, and get the smoke flavor I liked, but now I'm about 6 months into using this thing (Large Spicewine model) and I can't tell the difference in smoke flavor between this and my stickburners.

My smoker is mounted onto the porch of my food trailer, so I was always worried that during events some kids would come by and touch it and burn themselves...always terrified about that possible liability issue. Now, with the insulated cabinet, it's slightly warm to the touch when I'm cooking at 300°. Again, the smoke flavor is not noticeable different than my stickburner, so I think an insulated cabinet smoker would absolutely be a good choice for you for you.

Note : A stickburner requires almost constant attention when you're running it. Sure, you can walk away for 15-20 minutes, but you'll need to be out there stoking the fire and knocking off ash from the wood in the firebox every so often. If you're already noticing that you don't have time for BBQ with a WSM, then a stickburner is really going to be something which will just sit there and likely not get used.

Buy an insulated cabinet - gravity fed or Reg. and Buy a cheaper offset or vertical stickburner for the rare times you can tend a fire. Everyone should have both.

Get these :

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ol...ity-fed-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=8037502

And

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker#repChildCatid=1277366

WoEfzcwl.jpg

Last edited:
As far as getting burned on a cooker I cant envision any scenario where I would have a toddler playing near the cooker without another set of eyes watching. If it were a big gathering with other children I would inform the parents that the cooker is extremely hot and keep the kids away. I really don't see the added expense in an insulated firebox unless you cook in freezing temperatures regularly.

As far as getting burned on a cooker I cant envision any scenario where I would have a toddler playing near the cooker without another set of eyes watching. If it were a big gathering with other children I would inform the parents that the cooker is extremely hot and keep the kids away. I really don't see the added expense in an insulated firebox unless you cook in freezing temperatures regularly.

I'm in Iowa, so it actually is cold here...a LOT (a lot of people don't know this, but because of the way the jet stream runs we often get as cold or colder than states north of us). It's not really that I imagine a gaggle of toddlers roaming free or anything, but having been outside with my one son who is almost 3, another who is going to be 1 soon, and then another behind that, I have already seen how quick one of them gets away and into trouble. Now I imagine three of them. Our house and yard setup just doesn't allow me the accessories or space I might need to make corralling them from the smoker practical enough to make it anything less than an aggravating process, not a relaxing one.

Buy an insulated cabinet - gravity fed or Reg. and Buy a cheaper offset or vertical stickburner for the rare times you can tend a fire. Everyone should have both.

Hey Smitty. I take it you really like your OC gravity? That unit looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Me thinks the wife is only going to buy off on one at a time, especially as the kids' stuff seems to me claiming more of the garage by the day. I've also looked at Boathouse, T&K (they make a sharp looking unit) and these guys are right north of me in MN. https://www.backyardbombersbbq.com/smokers.html

I'm in Iowa, so it actually is cold here...a LOT (a lot of people don't know this, but because of the way the jet stream runs we often get as cold or colder than states north of us). It's not really that I imagine a gaggle of toddlers roaming free or anything, but having been outside with my one son who is almost 3, another who is going to be 1 soon, and then another behind that, I have already seen how quick one of them gets away and into trouble. Now I imagine three of them. Our house and yard setup just doesn't allow me the accessories or space I might need to make corralling them from the smoker practical enough to make it anything less than an aggravating process, not a relaxing one.

Hey Smitty. I take it you really like your OC gravity? That unit looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Me thinks the wife is only going to buy off on one at a time, especially as the kids' stuff seems to me claiming more of the garage by the day. I've also looked at Boathouse, T&K (they make a sharp looking unit) and these guys are right north of me in MN. https://www.backyardbombersbbq.com/smokers.html

Then there's the obviously solid ones from threads I've researched here like Humphrey's, Backwoods, Spicewine, Assassin, etc.

Resale value and not having to repaint or maintain the outside of the fb.

My ivc is raised up. It also has very, very few places it gets hot enough you can’t hold your hand on it even if it is running over 300 degrees. The other spots you can touch without getting burned, you just can’t hold your skin on it long.

I’d say go with an ivc if you need the convenience of charcoal and safety from burning.

Back