Injecting a beef roast with Waygu beef tallow

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, I have a seven pound beef rib roast to cook tomorrow. I have some Waygu beef tallow on hand that I had thought might add some taste and moisture that might compliment the roast. So does anyone have advice or input on whether this is a good idea? If the answer is yes, how much of this "liquid gold" should I inject? Is there a certain amount as to ounces of melted fat per pound of meat I should use?

Thanks,

Juggy

I have a hard time believing that injecting fat works in that manner. Now if it were fine intramuscular marbling fanning out through the meat then rendering it as part of the cooking process, or just having it present at 130* or whatever as you eat it, that's the mark of a good steak. But injecting fat in a 1" square pattern over a section of ribeye roast? Eh....skeptical.

I’ve never injected a roast with fat, but I’ve basted will tallow a few times. I normally give it one or two covers during a smoke. As long as you cook to temp, the ribeye roast will be juicy no doubt. Make sure you get a nice bark.

I did a top round about a year ago. First I brined (1.7%salt plus other stuff)overnight. Then injected tallow/truffle salt. Then in a bag with more tallow sous vide @ 139 degrees for 5 hours. Rubbed with carne crosta/spog, seared, cooled and sliced thin. It didnt send me to the moon or anything...that's all I remember. Only notes I have say...could have used more salt.

I was more dissapointed because I thought I had a killer recipe and ended up with decent roast beef.

Back