In need of automation!

You should definitely learn how to control your cooking devices without external assistance but temperature controllers absolutely have a place. I cooked on a WSM for years and it could be “dialed in” for hours and a shift in the wind, a change in the weather, or any number of external influences could cause it to behave differently. If I’m busy doing something else (such as working or sleeping) a temp controller is relatively cheap insurance when briskets cost $70+ each and having a cook go sideways could cost a bigger hit to ego.

Bottom Line : if you want a controller then go ahead and get a controller. There's always going to be that opinion on this forum of "no need for gadgets" but you do what works for you. Not everyone is keen on sitting up all night, or waking up every couple of hours to check temps.

When I lived in North Carolina I was about 5 miles from the ocean, so the wind direction and intensity would often change rapidly. That made it very difficult to control temps using just the vents. I bought a CyberQ Wi-Fi controller for my insulated cabinet smoker and it worked very well; though it was definitely older technology. I ended up switching to a Thermoworks Signals + Billows and that was much easier to use and it also worked quite well.

Lots of options out there but Thermoworks had made me a lifetime customer with their customer service. One of my fans went out after a tropical storm blew through one night and they replaced the fan (plus new cables for the whole system) for free. The Signals + Billows is very easy to use, and it comes with the "open lid detection" where the fans will stop blowing if you open the lid to your smoker.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy cooking the way you want to. BBQ is different things to different people, so do what works best for you. In the end we're all just making some good grub and that's what really matters.

Last edited:
Back