Ideas for Expanding Countertop Space?? (Secondary Meat Kitchen)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Ok so this house we moved into a few months ago has an in-law suite in the basement, which included a kitchen so 2 kitchens in this place :biggrin1:. There isn't much countertop space and I'm finally getting around to figure out what I want to do.

I will mostly use this for sausage making since I have the equipment and am looking into start doing more salami/dry type curing. Here's what I'm thinking and asking for opinions/sanity checking my thoughts.

On the side that has the microwave rigged on my cambro I'm thinking of a countertop table that could be pulled out and eaten at, but also simple counter top space. I want 5 ft. Here's an example on Wayfair. I know whatever I put over there will butt up against/cover part of the windows and not be perfectly flush (doesn't bother me).
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...rwood-solid-wood-dining-table-w005484138.html

On the side with the fridge I'm thinking of a simple stainless prep table with a back splash like this one. 5 or 6 feet. Could keep my grinder/stuffer and other random crap down there.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...ash-and-galvanized-undershelf/600TB2472G.html

I'm not remodeling or building anything permanent/remodeling (keeping it easy) and since I don't have style things don't have to match, just be functional. As normal wife supports whatever I want to do :crazy:

Ideas on what you'd do?

6HxFb43l.jpg

Here's my formal rendering I did in AutoCAD
5p0CF18l.jpg

oHf2taCl.jpg

jtWoF4Il.jpg

Wanting a pull out table/countertop sounds like remodeling to me. This is a nice little kitchen and considering it's an extra kitchen downstairs, I'd just buy a couple fold out Lifetime tables from Home Depot and call it a day.

Build an island on casters for where that throw rug is. Cabinet space underneath counter top. Looks like the same dimensions of that rug would work and being on caster you can move it to the side if you need to.

just remodel the kitchen. I'm trying to figure how anyone thought that was a good design in the first place. no way it's the original kitchen. making it right will pay for itself when you sell. dump a few hunsakers or copperheads to pay for it

Yeah they clearly just threw up some cabinets. This should hopefully be our forever place so plenty of time to remodel. Especially once we decide to do that there is a bunch other stuff we'd do. Let my kids get older and see what we want the space to be.

My smokers might pay for the stainless table :becky:

just remodel the kitchen. I'm trying to figure how anyone thought that was a good design in the first place. no way it's the original kitchen. making it right will pay for itself when you sell. dump a few hunsakers or copperheads to pay for it
To be fair it is in the basement and I'm guessing an in-law suite wasn't in the original plans. I must say though they did a nice job on improvising and making it accommodating.

Not sure its what you are looking for since you mentioned just wanting a pull out table on the window side, but I immediately thought of an adjustable height desk with motor so it could be below window height when not in use. As a tall dude, I also thought of it because 36" counter height sucks for me. I would like to be able to have a taller more comfortable surface height when I wanted to use it. So I would consider getting something like below and possible putting a stainless top on top of it to get the 5 foot width you want. You put the right kind of felt feet on it and you should be able to slide it in and out like you want and be able to raise and lower it. Just my 2 cents...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fuo/d/alpharetta-height-adjustable-desk-home/7411994172.html

Two stainless prep tables along wall and a stainless table in middle on casters. Like an island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on board with the stainless options. So easy to clean and sanitize. Something on casters sounds great, too. I know when I think of my 'limitations' in my cooking space, I think of how I wish my meat slicer wasn't a pain in *** to get out. How I'd get a chamber sealer if it wasn't for the weight/storage situation. if I could have those things on little carts to pull out when I needed, I'd be happier than my dogs when I drop a pork shoulder.

I have a fairly large permanent island I’ve become pretty dependent on for my prepping and cooking. But if it were on wheels and I could move it around my space I might like it even more. Combined with a rolling prep table or two you could make it a modular space to suit what you need. I have my chamber vac and sausage making paraphernalia on a rolling cart I move into the kitchen from the laundry room/pantry off to the side as needed. I would appreciate more modularity.

I would put additional cabinets along the wall with the fridge and put one continuous counter top on them on the opposite wall I would go the stainless prep table route.

Back