I need to say it here (Bad BBQ at work)

As a new distributor for a compressor manufacturer in Norfolk (German name means farmer), VA, back in the early 90's, I was taken to dinner by one of the VPs. If the steak was bad, it would have been my fault. The place was called "Grate Steak". The server brought a selection of raw steaks to the table, you chose which steak you wanted and you cooked it yourself over this huge grill. I always wondered how much the liability insurance cost them.:rolleyes:

I'm with you. I always appreciate them buying lunch, but Sticky Fingers BBQ is not the best.

LOL. We were in Chattanooga a few years ago and ate at a Sticky Fingers. It wasn't bad, wasn't great. But boy howdy, it sure was busy! :twitch:

Hey man totally with you. I work at a refinery. Tesoro bought us BBQ???? that resembled bad manwich, then our company said they were going to order BBQ from R&R a place run by BBQ competition guys. I was excited to try it. We got there, and it was DICKIES BBQ. I was livid. I complained to them for lying to us. As far as bitching about a free lunch. I can afford my lunch I don't need their bull **** hand out.

Entitled much? Why get so worked up? Its a free lunch. I'm a public school teacher. Last time I got ANY kind of a free lunch? Never in my 11 year career. Get over it.

As a new distributor for a compressor manufacturer in Norfolk (German name means farmer), VA, back in the early 90's, I was taken to dinner by one of the VPs. If the steak was bad, it would have been my fault. The place was called "Grate Steak". The server brought a selection of raw steaks to the table, you chose which steak you wanted and you cooked it yourself over this huge grill. I always wondered how much the liability insurance cost them.:rolleyes:

I enjoyed going to the Grate Steak. My friends though would end up with severely undercooked steaks because they didn't know how to cook a thick steak lol.

Just smile and focus on the appreciation of them trying to do something nice. In cases like this it truly is the thought that counts. I worked for a firm who was nice enough to have lunch brought in from a local BBQ restaurant (which you'd think was pretty decent considering it is not a chain). Absolutely some of the worst BBQ I've every put in my mouth. Creosote all in the taste of everything that went on the smoker. The only thing that was decent was the baked beans and the slaw.

But I smiled and told them I appreciated the lunch.

Hey man totally with you. I work at a refinery. Tesoro bought us BBQ???? that resembled bad manwich, then our company said they were going to order BBQ from R&R a place run by BBQ competition guys. I was excited to try it. We got there, and it was DICKIES BBQ. I was livid. I complained to them for lying to us. As far as bitching about a free lunch. I can afford my lunch I don't need their bull **** hand out.

I don't get this type of attitude. Your employer tried to do something nice for everybody and provide a complimentary meal...... If you don't "NEED" a bull**** hand out, then just always bring your lunch and don't eat at the employer provided meals.

My work will have free meals a couple times a year for employees. I had it once and didn't like it, my leftovers tasted better. I don't ever buy lunch from the cafeteria and I never eat the free meals they provide. I opt to either bring my own lunch or go out to eat. I do appreciate that my employer is doing something nice like this because they don't have too. The other 800+ people in the building appreciate the fact that our employer is gracious enough to provide a meal, even if it isn't the best tasting meal.

I happen to love Manwich.

As a former employer, we often would bring in food for our staff, and it was meant with all of the best intentions. Going further, BBQ is expensive, even crappy BBQ is expensive. My view is somewhere along AAWA's thoughts, at least be appreciative of the thought.

Now, if it is attached to a meeting, well, that is different, that is a trap. All a tactic to get you to show up. I gave up on that, and just made all staff meeting mandatory and failure to show up grounds for termination. So much better than crappy BBQ.

There's a bonus check attached to my 45 minute drive, bad meal, after a 10 hour day of sucking down gain dust. I hope it's more than $5.... wouldn't cover the gas it takes to go get it. Or the Arby's I'll probably get on the way home.:oops:

Free lunch from work..... Complaining about something free is meh.

That's your opinion but I totally disagree. I work hard for my company and so they are rewarding that - it is not free. I've earned it. I am entitled to a good meal for performing well and after several attempts to please us with bad food the upper management finally let us decide where our lunches come from. Now everyone is happy.

Ya know, that's the problem with doin' yer own Q - you always end up rating all the places you eat at. At least I do. I ate recently at one of those "Famous ___" places in KC, and was terribly disappointed. I almost ordered the BBQ'ed chicken, but something told me to inquire, since they also had baked chicken on the menu. So I asked, and learned that their BBQ'ed chicken was simply their baked chicken with one of their mediocre sauces poured all over it.

I settled for something that sounded delicious - a 1/3# burger (that part was good), topped with a healthy scoop of pulled pork. Good so far? Alas, the only smoke the poor piggy ever saw was the guy at the end of the chute wheezing on a Camel.

I like the suggestion that the next time, you just bring the Q to work and watch ther jaws drop.

Some years ago now when I was required to show up to a physical meeting, which does happen every blue moon, to discuss security protocols, we were provided a 'Taco Bell buffet' because I guess my boss at that time was insane, and thought this was an amazing thing. I worked at Taco Bell for years. I could make any variation to any kind of thing that existed, or did exist, on the menu. I could just make stuff up that blew what was on the menu away, and I never really liked Taco Bell to begin with.

His actions still made me think of him in a better light, and I appreciated the effort.
He had to have spent about 400 dollars on Taco Bell. On farking TACO BELL. If that's not appreciation, albeit it absolutely insane appreciation, I don't know what is.
Hell, the other day my boss at my other job bought me some McDonald's breakfast burritos and a bottle of orange juice, and that was pretty kick ass.
I hate McDonald's breakfast burritos, but I ate those bastards, and they weren't too bad.

The problem is most people don't know what good bbq is. Most people think it's meat slathered in tons of "BBQ Sauce". I think that's changing though. It's becoming more popular hopefully better places will pop up. It's either that or well see even worse options haha.

it is free...

Free definitely means the only expectations should be you won't die from it, or get sick for 12-36 hours. That is food worth complaining about! I have had it. Umm..not the die part.

I have brought in bbq beef for the office and they seemed to like it plenty. I am sure they wouldn't have told me if it was awful either.:biggrin1:

That's your opinion but I totally disagree. I work hard for my company and so they are rewarding that - it is not free. I've earned it. I am entitled to a good meal for performing well and after several attempts to please us with bad food the upper management finally let us decide where our lunches come from. Now everyone is happy.

Doesn't your employer compensate you for your work with your paycheck? If so, how does that entitle you to a good meal at your employers expense?

The fact is like Landarc said, employers are trying to do something nice for their employees and provide a meal. They might not know it is bad, but being fuming mad bout a free meal is still meh.

Back