I need a thermometer...help!

BadkissonTT

Full Fledged Farker
Ok....i'm not really new at cooking brisket...but i'm trying to move away from injecting/oven type cooking of brisket even though i've had OUTSTANDING results.

I have a new Weber Master Touch....tried a brisket a few weeks ago and it was dry..and probably overcooked/tough. I'm going to try to perfect my fire by snake method to keep the temps lower as they were pushing just over 300.... :(

I'm going to try some kind of 4-5 hr cook then foil this weekend..probably Sunday.

I need a thermo ...and preferably a 2 probe one. One thermo for brisket and one for the grill surface.

Any thoughts on this one?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39VTLCPMNRL3Z[/ame]

Why is this Maverick getting semi lower reviews and a higher price?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHAANNC/ref=asc_df_B00KHAANNC5000293/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00KHAANNC&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125192708&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1671842841829096968&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027925&hvtargid=pla-368501362527[/ame]

I'm trying to not go to expensive on this thing, but definately see the value in a 2 probe unit.

I have used a Maverick for several years and they work fine. I just stepped up to a thermoworks Smoke and it is heads and tails better than the Maverick. Used my Maverick on my Webber for nearly 5 years without a problem until one of probes went out. Not bad in my opinion.

...tried a brisket a few weeks ago and it was dry..and probably overcooked/tough. I'm going to try to perfect my fire by snake method to keep the temps lower as they were pushing just over 300.... :(

I'm going to try some kind of 4-5 hr cook then foil this weekend..probably Sunday.

I need a thermo ...and preferably a 2 probe one. One thermo for brisket and one for the grill surface.

I'm trying to not go to expensive on this thing, but definately see the value in a 2 probe unit.

First. Dry and tough is a sign of UNDERcooked. Over cooked would be dry and fall apart tender.

Second, nothing wrong with cooking a brisket hot and fast. Lots of people here do it. 300-325 works great. Take it until 160 IT and then wrap with foil or butcher paper.

Third, know nothing about the first one but I have the Maverick 733. I like it and have had no problems. Lots of people here say they have issues with probes going bad but mine have been good for almost a year already.

Might want to check this one out.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Extended-Wireless-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B016AF50U8/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&srs=6988966011&ie=UTF8&qid=1495763097&sr=1-7[/ame]

From what I gather, Ivation is just a rebadged Maverick, so this would be the ET-733 for $30.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok....i'm not really new at cooking brisket...but i'm trying to move away from injecting/oven type cooking of brisket even though i've had OUTSTANDING results.

I have a new Weber Master Touch....tried a brisket a few weeks ago and it was dry..and probably overcooked/tough. I'm going to try to perfect my fire by snake method to keep the temps lower as they were pushing just over 300.... :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39VTLCPMNRL3Z

Why is this Maverick getting semi lower reviews and a higher price?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHAANN...t=&hvlocphy=9027925&hvtargid=pla-368501362527

As pointed out above, check out the Thermoworks Smoke. Here is an article they recently published covering your situation.

Attachments

• Brisket - Thermoworks.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
I've used my Maverick for YEARS with great results.... but once I discovered and joined the Smoke "crowd," I really haven't looked back or worried about the results.

ThermoWorks is absolutely top quality, and whatever you buy from them will serve you well for years to come.

For me, it just came down to what sort of "extra" cash I had on-hand at the time. We get it... do what's right for the wallet at the time... and you can always upgrade in a bit when you've got the cash... but you won't be sorry.

First. Dry and tough is a sign of UNDERcooked. Over cooked would be dry and fall apart tender.

+1 ^
agree_zpswu0x8pdt.gif

Try probing a brisket for being done

[ame]https://youtu.be/t9UILZf0obk[/ame]

+1 on the Thermoworks Smoke. Built like a tank and backed buy outstanding customer service.

Yes, 2 actually. And they work as stated above. I baby them however as they will have trouble with the cord/cable. I buy a probe when they go on sale on Amazon so I have backups when needed.

But the Smoke is a better unit hands down.

Does anyone have one of these?

90 day warranty is scary....

I bought the ThermoPro TP20...$56...Full 5 years i think. I read a lot of reviews and any review where someone had a problem customer service was replying within a few days with their Phone # and trying to fix any issues....plus several years warranty on probes too.

The reviews on it vs the other one i posted had a much higher 5 star percentage....these factors mattered to me.

Thermoworks wouldn't deliver the Smoke by then....even next day air would get here Monday....but if they want to send me a freebie to try vs. the one i bought they can sure PM me...LOL

had to get my AMazon order in to get it here Sat.

Thx for all the replies/help !!!

No experience with the one you chose, good luck with it. Some of the reviews aren't stellar, but there are quite a few positives. Like others here, my recommendation would have been the Smoke. I've never had a wireless or any sort of probe in all my years of grilling, but when ThermoWorks came out with this I preordered it and am glad I have it. It gets quite a bit of use.

I've got a LOT of ThermoWorks products and they've never failed me.

Original Thermapen (pink!)
TimeStick (pink)
Dot (Pink)
ThermoPop (pink)
Extra Big & Loud timer
Infrared Gun
ChefAlarm (used mainly for Christmas Caramels and indoors)
Smoke
Pocket Infrared (doesn't measure high enough for bbq)

The TimeStick is usually hanging around my neck when grilling and either the Thermapen or Thermopop is in my pocket.

I don't think there are too many more ThermoWorks products that I need! :-D

-lunchman

If you "need" a thermometer to cook brisket, you are doing it wrong and you are going to have trouble getting consistently good results.

As previously pointed out, if the brisket is not falling apart, it is not likely over done, more likely under done. Brisket can be fully cooked anywhere from 160 or so to 215 plus. Hitting those temps does not mean it is "done" though. Done occurs when you hold it at a cooking temperature long enough to get tender. A thermometer won't tell you time, and there is too much variability to rely on a clock. The way you can tell if your brisket has been cooked until tender is to poke and prod it to see if it is tender. It is dead nuts simple, but modern cooks are obsessed with hours per pound formulas and digital readings that do more harm than good.

If you "need" a thermometer to cook brisket, you are doing it wrong and you are going to have trouble getting consistently good results.
Good point.

I've used Maverick remote thermometers (732 and IIRC 733) for years and been happy with them (and Maverick customer support.) More recently I haven't bothered for the most part. I'm comfortable monitoring the lid thermometers on my kettles and smokers and watching/probing the meat to determine when it is done. I do use a Thermapen probe to spot test.

I think a remote continuous reading thermometer is very helpful when you are learning. At some point you may find that you can get good results without the need to monitor temperature minute by minute.

Good point.

I've used Maverick remote thermometers (732 and IIRC 733) for years and been happy with them (and Maverick customer support.) More recently I haven't bothered for the most part. I'm comfortable monitoring the lid thermometers on my kettles and smokers and watching/probing the meat to determine when it is done. I do use a Thermapen probe to spot test.

I think a remote continuous reading thermometer is very helpful when you are learning. At some point you may find that you can get good results without the need to monitor temperature minute by minute.

Remotes are also great for experienced cooks as well as it means I don't have to sit there next to the smoker monitoring the therm, but instead, can be in the house doing other things.

As previously pointed out, if the brisket is not falling apart, it is not likely over done, more likely under done. Brisket can be fully cooked anywhere from 160 or so to 215 plus. Hitting those temps does not mean it is "done" though. Done occurs when you hold it at a cooking temperature long enough to get tender. A thermometer won't tell you time, and there is too much variability to rely on a clock. The way you can tell if your brisket has been cooked until tender is to poke and prod it to see if it is tender. It is dead nuts simple, but modern cooks are obsessed with hours per pound formulas and digital readings that do more harm than good.

Ok...so i should just return it?....LOL...Just kidding...but maybe not. This is the type of info i needed!

I bought an instant ...well 5 seconds $20 pen from Thermoworks a little over a month ago...so i'll give it a shot of poking/prodding....and i might just return the one i just bought from Amazon which will be here tomorrow......:becky::thumb:

Back