I might have sinned....Carolina BBQ in KC (live cook)

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
N/A
I live about 65 miles from the KS speedway, the site of the American Royal and Mecca of KC style bbq. It's probably a sin to even talk about NC style BBQ but I'm going to anyway.

After seeing SirPorkAlot's thread (link below) on Carolina pork I decided to give it a go. I'm not cooking for anyone this weekend so instead of a whole shoulder I'm doing an 8 lb butt.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525&highlight=Lexington

I took it out of the package, rinsed with cold water and put it straight on the smoker at 275. I'm using a pellet cooker so I'm a little off from the original thread but that's as close as I could get it.

Cegw6qTl.jpg

Finishing sauce I made last night following Porkalot's recipe.

iC45Fg7l.jpg

It was dark outside when I put the butt on but I will post some pics once the sun comes up and I do the salt rub.

2 hours in and just added the salt rub. The outside had already started to dry out a little so I had to spray some water to get the salt to stick.

eEEHxrdl.jpg

5 hours in and sitting at 153 (not sure why the temp display didn't show on the controller) I Haven't touched it other than the salt rub and putting the probe in

PgyzVGdl.jpg

F4NSRMVl.jpg

Last edited:
You did good.. I'm doing that as soon as I can. That recipe looks so good. Keep us updated on how it goes...

That's some beautiful 'cue fixin' to happen!

I grew up on Lexington Barbecue from "Honeymonk's" and have made those recipes of which you speak. You're in for a treat!

That's some beautiful 'cue fixin' to happen!

I grew up on Lexington Barbecue from "Honeymonk's" and have made those recipes of which you speak. You're in for a treat!

Just saw your thread you were working on some pork too!

I'm looking forward to it. My wife and I both like vinegar based BBQ sauce in addition to traditional KC sauce. Hopefully should finish up in 10-11 hrs which will put me about 3-4 pm today.

Planning on making some sandwiches today and pork nachos tomorrow

Getting close. Probably another hour or two. Typically once it's above the stall I can't count on 3 degrees per hour of IT rise. Helps me to plan things.

vgKBcACl.jpg

She's done and in a foil wrap resting in the oven. About 2 hours and I'll be able to see how it turned out. Bark was much lighter than I was expecting but that may be because of the pellet smoker vs hardwood or charcoal.

I did have a little chef treat of the bark and I was impressed. Salty pork deliciousness.

ZbB4YPnl.jpg

NC vinegar BBQ is great stuff.

So easy to make and a wide range of flavors can come from it by adding more brown sugar and ketchup. Can go from ENC to WesternNC really easy. :biggrin1:

I make a version that we use on grilled wings & chicken that is insanely tasty:
3 cups cider vinegar
1.5 cups brown sugar
0.5 cup ketchup
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp garlic powder

It's a great finishing sauce that takes to dark bark on pulled pork really well.

So easy to make and a wide range of flavors can come from it by adding more brown sugar and ketchup. Can go from ENC to WesternNC really easy. :biggrin1:

I make a version that we use on grilled wings & chicken that is insanely tasty:
3 cups cider vinegar
1.5 cups brown sugar
0.5 cup ketchup
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp garlic powder

It's a great finishing sauce that takes to dark bark on pulled pork really well.

I used sirporkalots recipe in the link but mostly the same ingredients In Slightly different quantities. I'm impressed with the sauce already, my wife liked it too

Does it continue to cook much once you pull it, wrap it, and put it in a cooler or oven?

I cooked pork butt last weekend, and pulled it as soon as it 'probed like butter' and then double wrapped it, and coolered it. By time I pulled it (probably 2 hours later) it was almost mushy and didn't have any real texture.

It has some carryover heat when you pull and wrap and rest but to me that helps continue to break down and get better. I've never had the point of mushy.

Out of the rest

sHlgqwxl.jpg

After separating the major chunks from unrendered fat

GpyTpm2l.jpg

x92VWutl.jpg

Plated shot. Too lazy for side dishes tonight since it was just me

T9yBXz9l.jpg

Overall pretty happy with how it all turned out. Really like the finishing sauce. Going to use some leftovers to make pulled pork nachos tomorrow night

A little red slaw and it would be an authentic Piedmont NC Q sandwich. Great job, it looks delicious!

Yeah I went to the store yesterday and it was a zoo. I stocked up on a butt and 4 racks of ribs and got out of there. Totally forgot supplies to make sides. Got busy today and didn't feel like going back since I'm the only one home.

Looks great :thumb:

I'd be jealous but I'm doing a 5-lb butt tomorrow :biggrin1:

My sauce recipe (approximately -- I always end up tweaking proportions...):

1 cup vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp worchestershire
2 tsp Frank's Red Hot sauce

I approve of this post!

I'm going to have to deal with this drooling issue I have all of a sudden

I meant to ask you but when did you add your salt. I put mine on about 2 hrs in and the outside already hard started to get dry.

Back