Mac n Cheese

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
My family has come to expect that my Mac n Cheese will be available at gatherings and today was no exception. With my niece's college graduation party and a pot luck, Uncle Dom is expected to bring what is known as my "world famous Mac n Cheese" (their words, not mine).

I figured I'd take some pics during this morning's prep work and document the procedure. I made the executive decision to prep two batches which was smart on my part as it all went. Nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews devour this. I've used the same recipe for years. If I ever change it, I'm screwed. Once in a while I've added ham and once I added lobster. But 99% of the time I make this the same way and it's always well received, including today.

The recipe I use is from here -

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/10/mac-n-cheese.html

I've never included the Sherry and have never used the Gouda. I buy whatever cheese I'm in the mood for, today called for Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, Yellow Cheddar. Some pics.

The ingredients -

Cheese (about 12 oz.) gets shredded with my Mouli grater -

Dry ingredients are mixed with the cold butter with a pastry blender -

In the meantime the onion and red pepper are sauteed in EVOO. I tone down the amounts since I'm about the only one who likes onion, but this dish isn't all about me -

After the onion and red pepper are softened, add in the butter and flour/spices mixture to make a blonde roux -

Once thickened a bit, add in 2 1/2 cups of Half n Half. I usually add 2 cups Half n Half, 1/2 cup 1% Milk (an effort to "tone down calories" or so I tell myself). :mrgreen:

Lower the heat, stir until thickened making a Bechamel sauce -

Add in the grated cheeses and combine -

Add 1 lb of cooked pasta -

Transfer to a CI Dutch oven and top with grated Parmesan. I never use the bread crumbs from the recipe and once topped it with crumbled Cheez-Its which folks disliked (it's all about being consistent when it comes to this recipe). I stick to what works and what the family likes.

Normally I use my Lodge Dutch oven if it's going out to the grill. Since today this was being prepared for a party I used my Le Creuset Braiser for one batch, the Lodge Enamel Dutch Oven for the second. Yep, it's sometimes about presentation.

Both were baked indoors uncovered in a 375 deg F oven, around 40 min for the Lodge, 30 min for the Le Creuset since it's a shallower pan. Out on the grill, temps are probably about the same. Does it take on any smokiness if it's baked on one of the Kamados? Perhaps a little, but nothing of significance that I've ever noticed.

The finished product -

No plated pics, sorry. I wasn't about to be taking food pics at my niece's graduation party.

I know there are many recipes for Mac n Cheese but this is the one I've used which is tried and true and loved by my family.

As always, thanks for reading this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Thanks for the link! i've only made kraft :oops: & have been meaning to make some from scratch... going to give this a try.

Dom, that looks really good! I have only had one mac n cheese recipe that I thought was worth eating, and yours looks similar. I have one question. Why are you taking the time to cut the dry ingredients into the butter? Does it effect the outcome any differently than just putting it into the pan and stiring? I thought that was only necessary with pastries.

Dom, that looks really good! I have only had one mac n cheese recipe that I thought was worth eating, and yours looks similar. I have one question. Why are you taking the time to cut the dry ingredients into the butter? Does it effect the outcome any differently than just putting it into the pan and stiring? I thought that was only necessary with pastries.

Good question Jeremy. I guess it's because the recipe says:

" Meanwhile, I dice up very cold butter and mix it with the flour, presifted with the dry spices. "

and since I started making this back in 2010 or so when I was a rookie I always followed directions (and still make it the same way). Plus, I have a pastry cutter and I might as well put it to good use. :grin:

Oddly, yesterday I did make one change in my procedure which helped quite a bit. Normally I pour the Bechamel into the cheese and since my bowl isn't quite large enough it often makes quite the mess, especially when trying to add in the pasta. A recent mac n cheese post on this forum illustrated doing it the other way - adding the cheese to the skillet and then adding the pasta. Big difference in making things easy and a "D'oh!" moment for me. :rolleyes: Yep, still learnin'.

-Dom

Thanks for putting that up - looks and sounds fantastic.

And I sure do miss Landarc.

I only vaguely remember some of his posts from way back when. I'm assuming he's the author of the recipe, correct? Deserves all the credit.

I have my own recipe that I came up with that also gets rave reviews and harsh criticism, when changed, from family. A lot of what I do is the same as yours, I never thought to add onions or peppers though, but I do add a bit of white cooking wine.

When I said I was going to pop it into the smoker to finish it, while smoking a pork butt, I got oohs and ahhs before and after

Thanks for sharing! Always looking for ways to improve my Mac n cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I noticed making store bought mac n cheese is that the pasta with any kind of lines or ribs or holes in it tastes cheesier or more flavorful just because it holds more sauce.

Maybe that's just a captain obvious trivia fact, though.

I still love it it with good old elbow macaroni, too.

Still looking for my own best recipe, but I think a bechamel is essential.

Back