I hate competition style: Ribs, Bark, Chicken Skin, etc.

I can't think of any other competition whether they be food related or otherwise where the criteria for judgement is quite different from the competitors' best achievable abilities.

The problem is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's like having a race with no defined finish line. One judge wants to judge a 40 yard dash, and another wants to judge a marathon... How do you know how far to run? You dont. Same with cooking sanctioning bodies.

Directly to your point: I can. Sanctioned chili cookoffs, for example. The biggest CASI, and others like ICS, etc. define chili as Texas Red, and they go on in their definitions about what is and isn't legal and how to judge the meat's tenderness, etc. They set their game so that competitors know what to hit. It's rare that my "open" chili finishes less than 2nd in the competitions, however it would finish close to if not DAL in the sanctioned portion, either by definition of content or tenderness, etc.

If they didnt, think through what it takes to make a great spaghetti sauce, then think through what it takes to make chili. Unless you're doing something bizarre, they're VERY CLOSE. They have to define it so we know we're judging chili.

Anyway, they define the game so we as competitors know the target to hit. Otherwise there's no reason to compete.

^^^ Yep, and that would be more the KCBSesque thing too. Judges in the sanctioning bodies that I'm a member of generally eat a little more than a bite. A good rib will be completely snarfed. The reason is that we're usually only judging 2 events vs. KCBS's 4.

I don't think the 2 categories vs 4 categories has much to do with it. If are judging correctly in GBA's comparative judging system, you should take several bites of each sample.

Using ribs as an example, after scoring appearance, I will test each rib for tenderness by pulling a piece away from the bone, then squeezing that piece & finally taking a bite from the bone & chewing. I try to completely ignore the taste of the sample & concentrate only on how the sample "chews". After recording my tenderness scores, I proceed to take a second bite of each sample to judge for taste.

After recording my scores for taste, I am now ready to "rank" the samples with the Overall Impression score. I look back at my scorecard & notes on my sample platter. Most of the time, by this point, 2 or 3 samples are clearly better than the other 2 or 3. I will go back to the top 2 or 3 samples & take another bite of each to decide who gets the 10 in overall. It may be so close between 2 ribs that I might take a second bite of each. I want to be sure that I give the top score to the best rib on the table (in my opinion of course)

By now, I can award the 10 in overall followed by 9.9, then 9.8. Most of the time, I don't have to go back & sample the other two to decide how to score them, but sometimes I may. So, I may be able to judge an average rib in 3 bites, but top quality ribs takes me 4 or more bites especially when there are 2 or more entries that are very close.

After 4-5 bites, there ain't much left. :-D

:) And I thought I was wordy. Yes, I was just trying to give the probably-too-short summary version, but yea, in both MBN and GBA we use comparative judging and unless it's a complete spitter (which happens every once in a while) we'll be taking 2, 3, 4 or more bites, squeezing the dickens out of them thar pieces, pullin' and a tuggin', just about everthing but waller'n with with that BBQ. It doesn't suck (judge duty).

Seriously, to the generalists, they're VERY different. Subsequently, what wins one will not necessarily do well at the other.

I have not competed nor do I plan on it. Cook the way you want eat what you want. Hone your skills to suit you and yours not some abstract reason.

Back