I have a confession to make...

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I have never cooked competition chicken thighs. I have competed in backyard comps and IBCA half-chicken comps, but in 25 years of Q'ing I have never attempted KCBS-style thighs.

Well today that changed. I clean my pit after each cook, but 1-2 times a year I give it a thorough cleaning. Today was that day. I cleaned the inside of my pit with Simple Green and pressure washed the grates. I needed to burn a fire to dry it out and making comp thighs in a pan seemed like a goof way to not waste my wood. Oh, and we have a YouTube Throwdown in progress...

So here is the YouTube video that served as the inspiration for this cook:

Smokecraft BBQ - How To Cook Competition BBQ Chicken Thighs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsztvD7vjDU

I started with a pack of thighs
picture.php

I trimmed them as instructed in the video
picture.php

...and rolled them up
picture.php

I brined them in Oakridge Game Changer
picture.php

I seasoned them with Plowboys Yardbird and put them in a pan with butter
picture.php

Smoked over hickory at 300° for 1 hours, just like the video
picture.php

Wrapped and smoked for 30 more minutes
picture.php

I used the sauce that JimSmokes sent me in the recent sauce trade (very good BTW!)
picture.php

On a rack and back in the smoker
picture.php

Did I mention that I cleaned my racks?? These are 5 years old - check them out!
picture.php

and here is the final product. I tried to replicate the thumbnail for the Youtube video:
picture.php

These were VERY tasty. I ate two and the kids obliterated the rest. Unfortunately, I did not get a "bite through skin" pic.

I will say that making them picturesque was much harder than I thought. You comp guys will have some critiques, but I am happy with my first try.

Thanks for looking!

The thighs look amazing, but I more impressed with how clean your racks are.

Looks like I will have to go for the right side. Great cook as I have never tired them yet either. Yes equally impressive is your cleaning

I also attempted comp chicken thighs for the first time this weekend. Chicken prep was a bit tedious but not terrible, I used a Jaccard to tenderize and allow more brine to be absorbed. The trim and skin wrapping was easier than I thought it would be. I needed to trim more of the fat off of the underside of the skin to achieve a clean bite through skin (these skins didn't peel off but weren't as crisp as I would have liked). I also let the sauce set too long in the smoker as it lost some sheen and color. I will keep refining the process/product. Bone-in thighs are so cheap, compared to pork/beef, and seem to be an easy-add to the smoker while I'm cooking other stuff.

Good looking cook David. Am I reading your profile right that you in live in Northern Virginia? If so, maybe we need to collab on a cook some day. I'm in Alexandria.

Attachments

• Chicken 1.jpg
    Chicken 1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 150
  • Chicken 2.jpg
    Chicken 2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 150
I'm a competition cook and I do those thighs all the time, but on this site, we judge by taste and not appearance, so you won't get a bad score from me. They look like 180 thighs to me!

Great looking thighs David. Bet they were good.

Since nobody else has asked, I guess I'm nominated- How did you clean your racks? Oven cleaner?

Well - I keep my pit pretty clean in the first place. I paid good money for it and want it to last. I clean it after each cook.

For a thorough cleaning I spray everything down with Simple Green. It's good non-toxic degreaser and was recommended to me by David Klose when I bought my original pit from him.

Then I use 2'x'4s to prop up the racks and blast both sides with the pressure washer. It doesn't get everything off (you can see some residue in the top right quadrant). Spray with PAM and burn a fire to dry everything out.

Back