THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Oklahoma? Why Oklahoma? They don't have any specific claim to a BBQ style.
Kansas City has their sticky sweet sauces thickly slathered on all their meats.
The Carolinas have their claim to fame with pulled pork and tangy vinegar sauce.
Texas has the best brisket on the planet.
So what does Oklahoma have to offer?

Oklahoma bbq is usually found in little hole in the wall joints somewhere along a lonely highway.
Ya walk in the place and approach the counter where you place your order.
You can watch the folks preparing your plate and talk to them about what you're about to eat.
Then you can find a table to be seated.

Oklahoma bbq is usually lightly seasoned and smoked perfectly with oak wood fires.
It rarely has sauce that comes between you and your enjoyment of the meat.
Sauce is served on the side but it has to be ordered or you'll never see it.

And they fill you up with things like ribs, spicy sausage, spicy smoked beans, and fries.

But if you don't like sweet tea then you better just order water...

So that's why I stopped in Oklahoma. Because they get it right!

You may call it Oklahoma, but it looks to me like it goes by another name.....Heaven! That looks like my perfect meal, and when you mentioned sweet tea, you had me. Great looking cook!

Fine looking plate!

But Oklahoma does take claim to fried onion burgers and of course Oklahoma prime rib.

H1FKJCp.jpg

Bologna Logs in Altus Ok. Used to be a lil place to get thick sliced smoked bologna sammiches -but it’s Gone…….. Pretty Sure Cook/Owner passed in the 90’s.

Onion burgers and fried chicken west of OKC (El Reno) are well known. Smoked meats really weren't a thing in Oklahoma when I was growing up, at least in my part of the world, because it was almost 100% steak and spuds with a lot of good hamburgers (regular, not the onion variety) thrown in for good measure.

Back