I guess it's time for another "best pellet smoker" thread.

rbwalton

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Russ
Hey guys, still fairly new here but so far none of the pellet smoker threads I've seen have really applied to my situation. I currently have a Shirley Fab on order, but with a 30 month lead time at the moment I'm looking for something to smoke on before then. I'd like to move as few offset smokers as possible due to the weight, which is why I'm in the market for a pellet. I've done countless hours of research and I still can't decide on what exactly I want. Budget is $2,000, which opens me up to quite a few options but several of those options don't have a large online presence and customer reviews are very minimal. The other options have their own problems. RecTeq is probably the best option for me but I think the design is dog crap ugly and if I'm gonna pay $1,500 I want to like looking at the thing I paid for. Yoder seems to still not have solved their rust issues, and while taking care of that isn't really an issue in terms of work involved, I'd just rather not have to re-finish my smoker every few months while working 60+ hours a week and taking care of things around the house. So what can you guys tell me? Any recommendations? What do you use or like? All I want is a good, reliable pellet smoker that doesn't rust, isn't ugly and produces a decent amount of flavor and a smoke ring. WiFi controller is nice but not a necessity.

A MAK 1 star would check all he boxes and is in budget. We have a 2 star and love it.

Those are actually on my short list of possibilities, but my concern is the cooking space. How much do you personally cram on 429 square inches? Keep in mind it would usually be just my wife and I.

I had a Yoder YS640 for a year and never had an issue with rust. Just take care of it and you should not have an issue.

Mak 1 star, Yoder Ys640s, Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850 are my personal favorites in this price range. Each has some pluses and minuses. Yoder is probably the best do everything of the three. Can grill, smoke, decent size etc. Mak is solid and also does everything well. Smallest of the three though. The Pitts and Spitts has the smallest grilling capability, but they are soon coming out with a stainless griddle attachment that slides in where the bottom grate would sit and that opens up a whole new game for a pellet cooker. I like the top and bottom sliding rack also that it comes with and the pit itself is pure eye candy.

There are a few more that are really good and made in USA as well like Cook Shack fast Eddie pg500, but it has the smallest smoking chamber. It’s all stainless though.
Smoking brothers just released their WiFi grills, and they have a really nice build quality with excellent paint. They are priced well and can often be found at a local dealer or at least ordered locally). They are built like the Traegers use to be when Traeger made their grills in the US, not the cheap imports you see now. These grills don’t get the love they deserve.
Blazin Grill works has a Yoder knock off that are pretty well made also.
Outlaw Smokers also has some nice looking products and they are made in Idaho.

Lots of pellet grills in the 2k and under range and some really well made models to boot.

For the MAK one star you can buy a full upper rack for $100 almost doubling the capacity. Obviously there’s some height restrictions on both shelves with the space between shelves and the slope of the back/lid, but I’ve seen some cooks with a lot of food on 1 ⭐️‘s. Pretty sure I’ve seen 6 butts going on one.

I have a MAK on the way after studying pellet grills for years. Their controller and support have about the best reputations in the industry. Yoder was also high on my list as was Pitts & Spitts.

I’m with you on feelings about the RecTeq, I don’t like the horns or the hexagon barrel and don’t like their censorship policies. I have no reason to believe that they are not one of the top 2-3 imports though.

If you do research and decide to go MAK, there was a group buy last year for BBQ Brethren and I saw some rumors it might happen again this year. Last year I think it was right around this time.

Those are actually on my short list of possibilities, but my concern is the cooking space. How much do you personally cram on 429 square inches? Keep in mind it would usually be just my wife and I.

You're not limited to only one cooking surface, there are upper grates that add more cooking area.

I easily cook for 4 on mine, and frequently for 8. Whether steaks, or briskets, or butts. The shelving really makes it a flexible cooking machine. Adding to that is a controller that imparts terrific flavor to anything you cook.

Of course other cookers that have the ability to add shelves, either aftermarket or from the manufacturer, however they don't have the MAK controller.

To me, the controller and the support from MAK was the tipping point making it a good fit for my needs.

Good luck with your hunt!

I'll put in a good word for the Outlaw made here in Idaho. It's welded up in a very small shop and isn't well known (website is below par), but it was my choice recently when looking in the $1500 to $2000 range.

It comes in more than one size; I got the smallest one.

I understand about the rust issue, and it's too early for me to know how this new unit will do in that regard, but its combination of a Yoder/Louisiana style fire box system with an ash clean out door and heavy gauge USA made provinance led me to it over P&S, MAK, and Yoder.

Last edited:
Smoke rings on the Outlaw:

I've never even heard of them before but it's hard to deny the smoke ring on that brisket. I tried to look at their website and immediately got flooded with pop-ups and calendar invites, so I'm not sure what to do now as far as find more information goes.

You're not limited to only one cooking surface, there are upper grates that add more cooking area.

I easily cook for 4 on mine, and frequently for 8. Whether steaks, or briskets, or butts. The shelving really makes it a flexible cooking machine. Adding to that is a controller that imparts terrific flavor to anything you cook.

Of course other cookers that have the ability to add shelves, either aftermarket or from the manufacturer, however they don't have the MAK controller.

To me, the controller and the support from MAK was the tipping point making it a good fit for my needs.

Good luck with your hunt!

This is great information! Thank you. For some reason I thought the upper grates were only available on the 2 Star General. Knowing I can get it on the 1 Star helps my decision a little more. Which pellets do you use? I came across a few people having issues with certain pellete on their Maks and I guess a certain amount of bad units is too be expected, but I'm curious what you've had success with.

Be sure you're looking at the Outlaw company based in Idaho. There's another Outlaw company back east somewhere.

Fire some questions my way and I'll answer as best I can.

BTW beef with the smoke ring is tri tip.

I can’t speak for Yoder or MAK cookers as they were pretty far out of my budget. My budget was around $1000 and I ended up with a Recteq rt700 which runs $1200. I can tell you this, you won’t find a more well built, heavy duty, better cooker with outstanding customer service in the price range than Recteq. Treager tends to be the main competitor in that range and Recteq is way better built. I’m not gonna get into whether Traeger cooks as well or not as I’ve never cooked on one. But I’ve touched both and the recteq is definitely better built with heavier gauge steel, heavier grill grates, and a ton of stainless especially where it matters.
If I had you’re budget I would have looked harder at MAK and especially Yoder. But I’m here to tell you the I’m willing to bet Recteq can hold its own against these cookers!
Good luck! With your price range I’m positive whatever decision you make you’ll love the cooker you get.

For the MAK one star you can buy a full upper rack for $100 almost doubling the capacity. Obviously there’s some height restrictions on both shelves with the space between shelves and the slope of the back/lid, but I’ve seen some cooks with a lot of food on 1 ⭐️‘s. Pretty sure I’ve seen 6 butts going on one.

I have a MAK on the way after studying pellet grills for years. Their controller and support have about the best reputations in the industry. Yoder was also high on my list as was Pitts & Spitts.

I’m with you on feelings about the RecTeq, I don’t like the horns or the hexagon barrel and don’t like their censorship policies. I have no reason to believe that they are not one of the top 2-3 imports though.

If you do research and decide to go MAK, there was a group buy last year for BBQ Brethren and I saw some rumors it might happen again this year. Last year I think it was right around this time.

Where can we find out more info on a potential group buy? I should have pulled the trigger last year, but didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAK. Although it's build quality is second to none, what's more important to me is the smoke profile of the food it produces. It's all in the controller's program.

. . . what's more important to me is the smoke profile of the food it produces. It's all in the controller's program.

Has anybody scientifically compared the smoke profiles of various pellet cookers? It wouldn't be hard.

Line up leading contenders, smoke meat, feed judges . . .

This forum should sponsor something like that and make honest marketers of all the pellet cooker companies.

Where can we find out more info on a potential group buy? I should have pulled the trigger last year, but didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that rwalters will start a thread about it. From a couple things I've heard and a post Robb made yesterday, it sounds like it's very likely going to happen again. I'm guessing Robb or whoever else might be working with MAK on it will get a thread started specific to it. I'd say keep watching for it any day here.

Back